• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question regarding barrels

Nightlybane

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2018
Illinois
I have a pretty good question regarding barrels for my action. I have a ARC Mausingfield closed top, now I know there are pre-fits like proof research, krieger, etc. Now, I'm wanting to know this. Is it beneficial to have a heavy barrel, say a heavy varmint or palma? I would need a small shank, price doesn't matter. I'm trying to find out if it'd fit my action, and weight doesnt matter to me. I have to ruck all the time and pack what is neccessary.

I was thinking instead of a McMillan A10 that I'd get the Z10 Bag Rider. I believe that'd be better for me. I'm just really unsure of what barrel to go for. I want as much accuracy from a barrel I can get. I know it's mostly the shooter for accuracy but barrels play a big part also.

The heavy varmint contour is a truck axle, and there are three different Palma barrels. So you’re talking about pounds of difference between the heaviest and lightest. You can have whatever you want, and yes they’ll all fit your action.

Fwiw, every time I see “ruck” and “I don’t care about the weight” in the same paragraph, I think that person isn’t prioritizing correctly. Just my two cents, as there’s zero accuracy difference between a light Palma and a heavy Varmint.

The heavy varmint contour is a truck axle, and there are three different Palma barrels. So you’re talking about pounds of difference between the heaviest and lightest. You can have whatever you want, and yes they’ll all fit your action.

Fwiw, every time I see “ruck” and “I don’t care about the weight” in the same paragraph, I think that person isn’t prioritizing correctly. Just my two cents, as there’s zero accuracy difference between a light Palma and a heavy Varmint.
I get it, understand. I'll look into the palmas more and decide on what I'll get. But I'd like it to be heavy so less movement when a shot is fired. I'll have to balance it all out and figure out how much weight it will be. Probably Barrow my wife's laptop later and do more research on how much weight it will all be.

Here's a heavy varmint on a Mausingfield:

IMG_20180427_170853-01.jpeg

Personally I'm a fan of heavier contours. But barrel contour is personal preference and mission dependent.

You’ve given very little info about intended cartridge and goals. That would help this a lot.
.300 prc/300 win mag. Probably will go with win mag due to availability. what do you think? Also target shooting more than hunting. if hunting, I'll probably take breaks and glass a lot.

Just how much target vs hunting?

I’d do the PRC without hesitation. I’d also put a brake on it.
Hunting like deer season, maybe if I'm in the area and have a tag I'd do elk if I had a tag. I planned on a gen 3 fat bastard brake. So more shooting in other conditions and record them throughout spring, summer, fall, and winter.

My hunting involves getting dropped off at the base of my stand and I have a 10’ climb and then just back the truck up to the criter. I like my barrels beefier so I would go heavy Palma or heavy varmint.

If I had to crawl up a hill side and carry anything other than my camera bag and a few beers for the hunt I would not get a heavy anything. Heavy rifles suck to carry, for hiking a bit but mostly range shooting a medium Palma is a nice compromise but you will still end up at 10+ lbs easily enough.

My hunting involves getting dropped off at the base of my stand and I have a 10’ climb and then just back the truck up to the criter. I like my barrels beefier so I would go heavy Palma or heavy varmint.

If I had to crawl up a hill side and carry anything other than my camera bag and a few beers for the hunt I would not get a heavy anything. Heavy rifles suck to carry, for hiking a bit but mostly range shooting a medium Palma is a nice compromise but you will still end up at 10+ lbs easily enough.
Noted. I'm going to most likely go heavy varmint. Krieger or something. What brand of barrels you recommend? I'd buy a proof research if they can do a custom heavy varmint that's like 28" because the brake will add another 2" or so.

If you want a Krieger there zero people who will tall you that’s a bad choice. Lots of good choices.
You don’t seem at all concerned about hiking it though so go big and enjoy that barrel.

Proof also has their competition contour if you want to go heavy heavy without being a straight shank, my 26” pcc dasher shouldered origin barrel weighs 6lb 15oz, that’s more than some complete rifles.

If you want a Krieger there zero people who will tall you that’s a bad choice. Lots of good choices.
You don’t seem at all concerned about hiking it though so go big and enjoy that barrel.

Proof also has their competition contour if you want to go heavy heavy without being a straight shank, my 26” pcc dasher shouldered origin barrel weighs 6lb 15oz, that’s more than some complete rifles.
You're right. I'm not worried about hiking it. It's just a toss up between Krieger, and Proof. I've had a benchmark but it wasnt what I wanted.

I’ve hunted with people who felt that the weight didn’t matter, and that kinda carries through the rest of their kit. They end up being slow as shit and gassed after the first day. #2 contour for me please.

Reactions: spife7980
I’ve hunted with people who felt that the weight didn’t matter, and that kinda carries through the rest of their kit. They end up being slow as shit and gassed after the first day. #2 contour for me please.
I’m a believer in this.

If I have to hump a rifle around a lot I’m going to hump a light rifle.
Light Palma is about the heaviest I’d go on a rifle that’s going to be carried a lot but I’d probably go lighter.

I’m a believer in this.

If I have to hump a rifle around a lot I’m going to hump a light rifle.
Light Palma is about the heaviest I’d go on a rifle that’s going to be carried a lot but I’d probably go lighter.
I understand that. But mines mostly range shooting. once a year hunting or so.

When I was young I didn’t think about heavy ass barrels or gear. Like they say though we tend to get wiser as we age.
I’d go with a heavy barrel for starters. When you realize it sucks toting that heavy thing around buy a lighter contour barrel. Then you can swap them out as needed for different shooting situations.

Reactions: Nightlybane
When I was young I didn’t think about heavy ass barrels or gear. Like they say though we tend to get wiser as we age.
I’d go with a heavy barrel for starters. When you realize it sucks toting that heavy thing around buy a lighter contour barrel. Then you can swap them out as needed for different shooting situations.
I agree 100%, I just think a nice bull barrel would be nice or a varmint. I have had bull barrels before and I liked them.

Reactions: jcmullis2
I understand that. But mines mostly range shooting. once a year hunting or so.
Then I’d certainly go heavier like a medium Palma or medium varmint.
My 260 with a medium varmint is 13ish pounds.
I do carry it to some of my shooting spots but they are short hikes.

With a McMillan "Bagrider" and fatass barrel, you're talking about being on the heavy end of a competition rifle. Probably something like 18lbs

For a part time range rifle/heavy hunter I'd recommend looking at an all-in weight of max 14-15lbs. For some folks that's a competition rifle. As an example of what comprises a 14lb rifle, I hunt with a Tikka T3 in a KRG W3 chassis, 26" sendero contour CarbonSix carbon barrel, TBAC Ultra 7, B&T Atlas Cal bipod, topped with a NF NX8 4x32 in Warne Mountain Tech rings. With a 10rd AICS mag, that's 14lbs. That's the max I would do any sort of hiking with. And if I killed a sizable enough animal I'd have to ditch the rifle to pack meat. When hunting on the east coast I use a 9.5lb rifle. That is a Bighorn Origin, 22" Carbon Sendero barrel, TBAC Ultra 5, HS Precision lightweight sendero stock, HS Prec DBM, March 3x24 F1. Thats one of the lightest tactical scopes and suppressor you can use. Its a comfortable walking rifle but by no means a lightweight or even standard hunting rifle.

About the same as my 260.
Not a pig but a handy rifle that is great at shooting steel or some hunting.