• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question regarding M1A/Sage EBR

crazy bay

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2005
Utah
Hey guys, I have recently installed a SAGE EBR onto my M1A. But a small problem, the top cover is for a standard M1A. It doesnt fit a match stainless barrel. I called Sage, and they told me that I could not get a replacment top cover from them. (which is asinine because they have top covers designed for match barrels) But they said that I would have to get it from where I purchased the stock. Thats not going to happen because I bought it locally from a random ass dude.

Anyways, does anyone know where I might be able to pick up/switch top covers?

Re: question regarding M1A/Sage EBR

Chalk them fools up to sorry ass CS. Thanks for the heads up...

Contact Michael G. Serafin (Sales)
Sage International, Ltd.
Telephone: 989-739-7000

I was in your exact situation in late '07 and he hooked me up.

I believe Mike Serafin is no longer with Sage. After getting a similar run around with them on trying to get the milled upper rail for the SEI mount, I found Mike's name online as a helpful source and thought I'd found a work around to the nonsense. No luck as they said he was no longer there.

They had a few parts I wanted and like you, I was told they would not sell to me direct. They keep referring me to Clyde Armory, yet Clyde said that milled rail was no longer available. Complete round robin cluster F***. The final straw was last week when I called for an $30 optional part that they have sitting in stock on the shelf. After explaining the Clyde deal, the guy at Sage finally said he could take my order, but it would be at least 2 to 3 months until it would be shipped. He explained they place mil/govt orders first, dealer and distributors next, and if nothing else is going on they would process a private order. When I said this is an optional part that literally no one has heard about (the Natl. sales mgr 'Dave' at Sage didn't even know it existed until I gave him the part number!!) and asked if there is no way to process this one part as it would in no way affect the sales of their stocks, he said it didn't matter. As long as other orders from mil/gov't or dealers keep coming in, my order would keep getting bumped.

Man that sucks! You might be able to trade your handguard/rail with someone else. Or ask H2O Man (the guy's a serious M14 nut) -- maybe he has a spare lying around.

You could try to get Smith Enterprise or a local machinist to mill yours down for you, but I don't recommend it unless you enjoy being abused.

That's really too bad to hear that Sage's CS has gone down the toilet.

Sell the boat anchor (yeah, I know, they ARE neat) and buy a tricked out JAE-100. I can guarantee you the absolute opposite experience with their customer service!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell the boat anchor (yeah, I know, they ARE neat) and buy a tricked out JAE-100. I can guarantee you the absolute opposite experience with their customer service! </div></div>

Goodness yes, that's absolutely right! An M1A w/ a match barrel and Sage stock must weigh a ton. You might as well get the JAE-100 stock. I ended up choosing it over the Sage stock for my M25 -- it's absolutely top notch!

Anyone have an extra plastic hanguard laying around they would sell?
I bought mine out of the paper and the guy had a grippod on it and couldnt find the plastic wrap around handguard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mclovinguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have an extra plastic hanguard laying around they would sell?
I bought mine out of the paper and the guy had a grippod on it and couldnt find the plastic wrap around handguard. </div></div>

I'll check with my dealer. He sells a ton of SOCOMs in EBR's and might have one. I'll let you know what he says.

did you ever find hand guard? If not, PM me and I will send you mine.

yeah, I have been trying to get a hold of a top cover for a while now. I have gave up on finding one. Once I ETS here shortly I should be able to find the time to mill it down (Or fuck it up)

But yeah, I called Clyde Armory and they were about as helpful as an AIDS infested hooker. Needless to say, I wasn't satisfied.

But I will let you guys know hows the project goes when I have time to work on it.

Anyone considering the Sage EBR make sure its a generation 2 or 3 stock, that accommodates the medium sized "crazy horse" or "match" grade barrels. In all honesty, I would recommend a JAE 100. I got to mess around with one that the SEAL teams had put on theirs while I was in Iraq. They had extensive experience with both and highly recommended the JAE 100.

Hey i know i am new to this site and i have tried going through the archive and came across this trend...i joined the site because i have a question that no one seems to be able to answer...i want to put one of the sage erb stocks on an M1A super match with a douglas supreme heavy barrel...when i asked the sage sales rep if it would fit he said he would have to check with sage...sage said no, it will not fit their erb stock...after reading this post i am thinking that somebody doesn't understand my question so maybe somebody here can help...will an M1A super match, unaltered from the factory, mid 90s production, with a Douglas supreme heavy national match barrel fit in a sage ERB stock? if it will do i need to order anything special for it?

oh...after reading the posting i figured i might as well add that if anyone is interested i can post the e-mail of the dealer i was speaking with...he just became a dealer for sage so is learning the ropes, is a veteran and a real easy guy to work with

thanks for your time

The original EBR's won't work with a heavy profile barrel b/c of the upper handguard. A year or so ago they made a run of M39 that look the same but were brown for the USMC. The M39 stocks would work with a HB and also were milled for use with a scope mount that won't work with the orig. EBR. My dealer has sold dozens of the EBR's and kept one of the M39's for himself.

Edit:
I spoke with my transfer dealer. The M39's that were available were left over from a production run for the USMC. They will work with a med. heavy but not the heaviest profile. The milling allows for the rail on the mount to line up with the top rail of the EBR. We couldn't remember which mount it is but believe it's the Smith or Sadlak. The M39's are very scarce and apparently there won't be any more unless The Marines decide to order more.

To mount a med. heavy barreled M1A in a standard Sage you have to modify the upper handguard/rail or check with Sage and see if they offer one.

To my knowledge, all current Sage EBR stocks are now coming with the top rail that will accomodate the medium heavy (DMR) weight barrels. This can be identified with the upper rail having five screws rather then the six that were used on earlier versions. The stock chassis itself still has the sixth threaded hole, only the upper rail has been modified by eliminating the middle sixth screw on the left sight which allows more room for the heavier barrel. I will post pics later to show this exactly.

As for the additional milling on top, the USMC stocks had the rear 3-4 picatinny slots milled away to accomodate the Smith Enterprise 2006 scope mount (NSN 5855-01-506-5750). This is referred to as the "Smith rail" by SEI, and Sage seemingly couldn't tell me if/when they'd make more while Clyde had no clue what I was asking for. You can simply mill the upper yourself to fit the mount (though you'll use the anodization in that area) or you can hunt to find the real rails.

FYI, the brown "USMC" stocks appear to be only a very limited run, perhaps for prototyping. I've just completed a spec M39 build and from all my research, the USMC is simply using the gray anodized stocks for their M39s. Earlier ones seemed more silver while the current ones like my new Sage ALCS have a darker gray tone.

My M39 clone and a pic showing the "Smith" rail cut
EMR.jpg

SEIM392.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Allenst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
FYI, the brown "USMC" stocks appear to be only a very limited run, perhaps for prototyping. I've just completed a spec M39 build and from all my research, the USMC is simply using the gray anodized stocks for their M39s. Earlier ones seemed more silver while the current ones like my new Sage ALCS have a darker gray tone.
</div></div>

I spoke to a rep of Sage at IWA and he said the gray stock is what the USMC uses, actually the browns where a messup at the annodizer and the USMC did not want those brown stocks so they sold them on the civvie market.

When it came to running a medium heavy barrel in the original SAGE EBR you had two choices:
Modify the inside of the top rail to clear the barrel or have the barrel turned down to clear the top rail.
All of you new production EBR stocks that have only 5 screws securing the top rail will accept a medium heavy barrel without issue.

As for trading a heavy vintage EBR for a heavy JAE
confused.gif
That's like trading a head ache for an upset stomach.

It is my experience that the NAVY SEAL Mod 1 - M14ALCS/CV is the lightest SAGE EBR available.
I have a MK14 with an 18" standard profile barrel in a M14ALCS/CV with a Magpul CTR that weighs less than 10 lbs.

The History and Development of the SAGE Enhanced Battle Rifle (EBR) chassis stock system

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey i know i am new to this site and i have tried going through the archive and came across this trend...i joined the site because i have a question that no one seems to be able to answer...i want to put one of the sage erb stocks on an M1A super match with a douglas supreme heavy barrel...when i asked the sage sales rep if it would fit he said he would have to check with sage...sage said no, it will not fit their erb stock...after reading this post i am thinking that somebody doesn't understand my question so maybe somebody here can help...will an M1A super match, unaltered from the factory, mid 90s production, with a Douglas supreme heavy national match barrel fit in a sage ERB stock? if it will do i need to order anything special for it?

oh...after reading the posting i figured i might as well add that if anyone is interested i can post the e-mail of the dealer i was speaking with...he just became a dealer for sage so is learning the ropes, is a veteran and a real easy guy to work with

thanks for your time </div></div>

If I understand correctly, the new chassis design will accept the barrel used on the SAI Super Match which you have.

Now this is the kicker, your super match has a rear lugged receiver. Sage will tell you that their stocks do not accommodate the rear lugged receivers.

Has anyone modified their sage stock to accept a rear lugged receiver? I am very interested to know if it can be done.

I have read, not tried myself, that the troy mcs can be modified to accept a rear lugged receiver.

Thank you,
Monnie

I know Im digging up old bones here but I have some questions that you guys seem to know the answers to... Long story short I'm rebarreling my dads SEI M1A soon. Originally built in the 80s for high power competition by a smith who has now passed away. I was really interested in getting a Sage EBR for it. I made a post yesterday https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/i-need-a-smith-for-a-m1a.7009484/#post-8608697
Would I be better off with a different stock/chassis system? This rifle is scoped currently with a early 2000s model MK4(MOA/MIL) but I'm putting a MK6 on it once the rings come in and the new barrel is installed. I want an adjustable cheek piece and bipod attachement (Harris). Ulitimitly this rifle will be for shooting steel and PRS style matches once complete. Is there anything that should be replaced by the smith when doing the barrel install? New spings and op rod were installed about 12-15 years ago but havn't been shot much since then maybe 300 rounds max. At this time I'm leaning towards having Wolfe Firearms do the work for me. I'm extreamly new to the M1A platform and willing to read and learn everything out there regarding them. Any advice reading material and help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you seen the Black Feather stock? Or thought about a McMillan M3A stock from LRB Arms?

The Sage is extremely heavy, and kinda ugly if you ask me.

Ask Mr. Wolfe what he thinks should also be replaced or tuned for better accuracy. He knows what he's doing. I would suggest the heaviest barrel you can get if you want to shoot competition or wring out more accuracy. Krieger makes a fine barrel.

I know Im digging up old bones here but I have some questions that you guys seem to know the answers to... Long story short I'm rebarreling my dads SEI M1A soon. Originally built in the 80s for high power competition by a smith who has now passed away. I was really interested in getting a Sage EBR for it. I made a post yesterday https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/i-need-a-smith-for-a-m1a.7009484/#post-8608697
Would I be better off with a different stock/chassis system? This rifle is scoped currently with a early 2000s model MK4(MOA/MIL) but I'm putting a MK6 on it once the rings come in and the new barrel is installed. I want an adjustable cheek piece and bipod attachement (Harris). Ulitimitly this rifle will be for shooting steel and PRS style matches once complete. Is there anything that should be replaced by the smith when doing the barrel install? New spings and op rod were installed about 12-15 years ago but havn't been shot much since then maybe 300 rounds max. At this time I'm leaning towards having Wolfe Firearms do the work for me. I'm extreamly new to the M1A platform and willing to read and learn everything out there regarding them. Any advice reading material and help would be greatly appreciated.
Didn't Troy also make a chassis?

Own a Sage, have an 18” Bush Rifle mounted in it, she’s a blast, but for your dads rifle I’d go Long stock/chassis
Also own a Loaded which is wearing a JAE stock. It’s a bit heavy but it’s a shooter. Hope this helps
36499B5C-D131-4047-8C2E-150660692E87.jpeg
899552F5-350A-4349-A228-F8B8CD22DDF4.jpeg