• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question regarding my Remington 700 build

Peter Hogarth

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2010
Metro DC Area
This is my first bolt gun build and need some guidance.

I am planning to have my action blueprinted and trued once I gather all the parts for my build. I am using a Remington 700P in 308 as the starting point and am planning to make the following upgrades.

McMillian A-4 USMC spec stock (purchased from JW Precision)
Surgeon BDM (sending stock back to McMillian to re-inlet)
Tubb Heavy Recoil Lug
SSS inc (Tubb) high performance bolt
AAC 18T Muzzle Brake
Harris bipod
Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LRT M1 Illum Rect w/ Leupold rings
Planning to have it blue printed, trued, headspaced and bedded when it goes to the smith.

Future potential upgrade:
Schneider 25" barrel
Jewell trigger

I was thinking of using the factory trigger and 26" barrel to start and possible upgrade later.

So my question. Considering I was thinking of using the factory barrel to start, is it a waste of money to have the action trued if I do not upgrade the barrel right away or does it make more sense to upgrade the barrel at the same time it is trued? If you could provide a brief technical reason for the answer I would appreciate it.

If you have any other suggestions or comments I would really appreciate them.

I will post pics after the final parts arrive but before it goes to the smith. Then certainly when I get it back so you can see my money pit
wink.gif

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter

Re: Question regarding my Remington 700 build

It ain't gonna shoot any better without changing the barrel.

I would do everything but the new recoil lug and blueprinting and muzzlebreak for now.
Shoot the factory tube as is, save the money for the blueprint and when you are ready to upgrade the barrel, have it printed and trued and have the new recoil lug installed with the new barrel.
I would also opt for a new trigger and stock first.
The stock on the 700 P is a good one, if you are going to replace the stock anyway, why not save a couple of hundred bucks and by the SPS varmint?
With the money saved on buying a stock you are only going to replace, that would pretty much pay for the trigger.

Great suggestions FDkay, I own almost everything on the list (includng the 700P) except:
Tubb Heavy Recoil Lug
AAC 18T Muzzle Brake
Barrel
Trigger

I was planning to sell/trade the stock and bdl since I have the A4 and surgeon already. I was going to try to use that money +some to upgrade the barrel.

I have shot the factory trigger and it is not too bad. Could be better if reworked. Are Jewel or Timney triggers really worth the money?

Thanks again.

Shoot it and see how it shoots before you spend 500$ on a barrel and action work.

Ditch all other plans. Go ahead and put it in your stock, buy a good trigger and shoot the shit out of it. The trigger is the single bigest gain you can get in one mod. That is, unless your barrel just sucks, but you won't know that until you get a few hundred down it.

It may just surprise you.

When the time comes that you need/want a new barrel, have it trued then. As this is your first bolt gun (and I assume, precision) there is a good chance that you will have some catching up to do. Give the factory setup a chance as your skills increase. Then you will be in a better place to take advantage of better equipment.

I was in the same boat. Sent my 700P off to GAP for a little reworking. After many phone calls and emails I ended up with pretty much a full build. Kept the stock and the Timney. Everything else was replaced or worked in some way. Now I don't have the cash for an optic. My wife calls it "poor impulse control".
whistle.gif

Change the Stock.. trigger.

And your good.

I know the feeling hence the naming of the rifle "Money Pit" but I am loving every minute of it. So much to do and so little cash
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in the same boat. Sent my 700P off to GAP for a little reworking. After many phone calls and emails I ended up with pretty much a full build. Kept the stock and the Timney. Everything else was replaced or worked in some way. Now I don't have the cash for an optic. My wife calls it "poor impulse control".
whistle.gif

</div></div>

Thanks for the input. While this is my first build, it is not my first bolt gun. I had a Savage 10FP for many years that I loved. Unfortunately, it had to go to help with some medical bills a few years back. But your point is well taken, I have alot of work to do to build up my skills so I can be able to take advantage of a precision rifle. I am definitely looking forward to improving.

I really appreciate the advise.

Have a good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ditch all other plans. Go ahead and put it in your stock, buy a good trigger and shoot the shit out of it. The trigger is the single bigest gain you can get in one mod. That is, unless your barrel just sucks, but you won't know that until you get a few hundred down it.

It may just surprise you.

When the time comes that you need/want a new barrel, have it trued then. As this is your first bolt gun (and I assume, precision) there is a good chance that you will have some catching up to do. Give the factory setup a chance as your skills increase. Then you will be in a better place to take advantage of better equipment.</div></div>