• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question regarding scope mounts

Phantom F4E

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Hide members please help.
I have a HS Precision w/ unknown 2 pc picatinny mount, Smith HD rings, and Leupold 3.5-10 M1. This HS was a fantastic shooter 3/8-1/2 moa easy, but I had only about 8 moa left in windage travel. I left it this way for years, I wanted to try my set up to 1000 yds, but I know I will be at a disadvantage. I tried different scopes, different rings , but same problem. I figured the mounting holes were off to the bore. Finally I took off the mounts, I checked the mount holes w/ my calipers and the rear mount is off centered .020". In other words the mounting holes are off-centered to the outside of the mount itself. The front mount is centered pretty well. Could this defective rear mount be the culprit. I believe I got them at a gun show years and years ago( they are the same as Rem 700 but w/ 8-40 threads ) , I do not remember. I contacted HS but they told me to learn to use my mils...BTW Thanks to all

If I am reading you properly, the mount is screwed up, not the receiver. If that is the case order up a quality one piece such as badger and give it a shot.

Just go 8-40 any decent smith worth their salt can easily make the mod and ensure it is centered to the action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk