• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question(s) about Savage rifles

sawgunner2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Took some new shooters to the range today and got them hooked shooting my LA Precision rifle. So much so, that they'd like to get into the game as well, but without breaking the bank. I recommended doing some research on the Savage rifles. Once they heard that FGMM runs $1.50 for each pull of the trigger, they stated that they'd like to shoot a caliber that has inexpensive ammunition, I recommended .223 Rem. Reloading is not an option for them.

Now, about Savage rifles...I know the .223 comes with a 1-9tw. The rest I'm befuddled about. From what I can tell, they come with a blind magazine (what Remington calls the ADL?), so what would be needed to upgrade the tupperware stock? That, I guess, was my biggest question about them. I'd also take some recommendations for an alternative to the Savage route, that just seemed like the best option in my 5 minutes of thinking about it.

Just trying to help get them started on the right foot.

Re: Question(s) about Savage rifles

Here is my Stevens 200 in .223. I upgraded to the Chote Tactical stock with DBM inlet($200), and bought the bottom metal here on the Hide ($40). Simple drop-in, works and looks better.

I am not sure about now but a couple of years ago savage had different twist rates in some of there 223's Thats why i didn't buy one i couln't rember what models were what and the people at the place i bought mine couldn't tell me what the twist rate was on a given rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my Stevens 200 in .223. I upgraded to the Chote Tactical stock with DBM inlet($200), and bought the bottom metal here on the Hide ($40). Simple drop-in, works and looks better.

</div></div> [/quote]

I just bought the same stock for my stevens .308. should be here this week.
wink.gif
im stoked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 270grdeerround</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure about now but a couple of years ago savage had different twist rates in some of there 223's Thats why i didn't buy one i couln't rember what models were what and the people at the place i bought mine couldn't tell me what the twist rate was on a given rifle. </div></div>

The twist rate on mine is 1 in 9. I believe that is what all the Stevens .223s are now.

Savage has several different models, just as rem did with 2 primary twist rates. 1-9 for target/tactical and 1-12 for varmints.

Take a good look at the LE type Savages, especially the PC10. The Accustock is a really decent stock, the trigger is great, the barrel is a little lighter profile and 20" for ease of carry/handiness. Twist rate is 1-9 so they can stabilize up to 75 grain bullets.
With the PC10, you will need a stock pack or cheekpiece to get a proper cheek weld, but they will shoot bug holes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 270grdeerround</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure about now but a couple of years ago savage had different twist rates in some of there 223's Thats why i didn't buy one i couln't rember what models were what and the people at the place i bought mine couldn't tell me what the twist rate was on a given rifle.</div></div>

It should say it on the barrel just forward of the barrel nut. It will indicate caliber and twist rate.