• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question: Those who have had their AI bolt bushed

Jethro3898

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Dothan, AL
Ever since I went to a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on my rifle (2013 AI AX) I've had an issue with cratering and sometimes piercing primers. I crater nearly all and pierce probably one every 15 rounds or so. It is a simple fix, but under the clock in a match it has proven to be a pain I'd rather not deal with. I've done the "turn the firing pin" thing and I'm still cratering. All I shoot is factory Prime, which I assume is a little on the hot side. Could I change ammo? Sure, but other than the cratering/piercing, the Prime shoots really well in my rifle....and I'm saving all my Prime brass to one day reload.....and I have 3.5 more cases of Prime in my safe to shoot. This is literally the only "problem" I have ever had out of the rifle. If all it did was crater the primers, I wouldn't even bother to fix it, but the piercing issue has gotten on my nerves and has cost me a few stages. I typically shoot suppressed and someone told me that if I shot with a brake the problem might go away......that may very well be the case, but that's more of a band-aid than a solution, so I am contemplating having the bolt bushed.

My my intentions are to try one more turn of the firing pin and see if the issue persists, but I'm not totally sure I can get another turn.

I have a couple of questions for guys who have already had their bolt bushed:

1. Who did your bolt? Seems to be like Stuteville Precision may be the only game in town (and I'm fine with that) but I was curious if there was another reputable company that also does the service. I am asking simply for options....options are good. I noticed on Stuteville's website that they do AI bolts at the first of every "even" month.
2. I'm assuming all you have to send is the full bolt, right? No reason to ship the full rifle, I hope.
3. Any drawbacks to having this work done?

If I had the money, I would simply put my .308 barrel back on my AX, leave the bolt alone and simply build another rifle to compete with.....but that isn't really in the finances right now.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Speedy Gonzales can, Chad at LRI might as well as Tooley.
Moving the fireing pin wont do anything, AI bolts are slopy. I have the same problem with my 338 lapua improved. I can run the same load in three rifles cut with the same reamer but the AI cant handle it and will pierce the primer

I'd also be interested to know the answers to your questions.

The main drawback that I'm concerned about and haven't done so yet... is that I'm worried modifying the firing pin will make it unusable for 338 Lapua and kinda render the multicaliber capability of the AXMC useless.

I had wade do mine. They are great to work with and do awesome work. not too many people out there mess with the AI bolts, so your choices are limited compared to the r700 stuff. there are zero drawbacks to having it bushed, in fact the new AIs are coming with a small firing pin.

http://www.stutevilleprecision.com/services.html

Ditto, Wade did mine. Good work, and cratering is a thing of the past now.

Yes, you just send the bolt in.

I haven't seen any draw backs to having this work done.

Wade did my bolt as well and it turned out great!

I was piercing primers previous to getting work done. Have since shot a couple thousand rounds and primers look better along with zero piercings.

No draw backs to having a smaller diameter firing pin regardless of caliber. Send your bolt to Wade. I've done several but I'm not set up to do any in quantity and buried in barrel work right now. Also I'll be moving in a month or two and that will cause a major disruption when I pull the plug.

No draw backs to having a smaller diameter firing pin regardless of caliber. Send your bolt to Wade. I've done several but I'm not set up to do any in quantity and buried in barrel work right now. Also I'll be moving in a month or two and that will cause a major disruption when I pull the plug.

Oh wow... guess I'll have to backorder some Lapua 6.5Creedmoor brass then. I figured AI didn't offer the smaller firing pin initially due to issues with magnum calibers.