• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question - Tikka T1X Cheek Risers - Cleaning

*rim-star*

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2014
I am considering a cheek riser for my T1X, my question is with the riser installed most models look like they would prevent using a cleaning rod, your input appreciated.

You take the action out of the stock to clean it, or remove the cheek riser each time, depending on what model you go with.

Thanks, I figured that would be the case, guess I will look for one that can be removed easily.

The AG Cheeky might be something to consider. I like the webbing straps option. There are two different foam pads to adjust the height. The webbing part is strapped on, so easy to remove if need be.

Reactions: *rim-star*
A possible option is an adjustable kydex cheekrest like that offered from Matthew's Fabrication. Then, you just lower it when cleaning and raise it back up when you're done.

Thanks, I figured that would be the case, guess I will look for one that can be removed easily.
The Victor company one is easy to change up how you mount it.

Instead of the drywall screws they include I bought stainless machine screws of a similar size and some rivet nuts of the matching thread pitch.
I found the position I wanted to mount it, making sure I could still remove the bolt with it mounted.
I drilled two slightly undersized holes where the rivet nuts would go then placed each rivet nut on the tip of a soldering iron for a few minutes to heat, then press fit each of them, melting them into the stock.

Very easy to remove and replace the riser as needed without worrying about the drywall screws hogging out the holes.

Or you can get some weed eater cable or one of those AR15 cable type cleaning kits and just pull a cord down the bore to clean it. 🤷 Not ideal. But would work.

There's plenty of aftermarket cheekrests that are removable.

My opinion is that the patchworm is the way to go. Aside from my 10/22s, I have not removed a cheek riser, or taken an action out of a chassis to clean it in over a year. All of my rimfire rifles are cleaned with that, while being held on my tripod. No fooling around with bore guides that could drip solvent into your trigger. No fear of damaging a crown with a jag. And the bore scope can be used to ensure everything is clean if I am really feeling neurotic.

My opinion is that the patchworm is the way to go. Aside from my 10/22s, I have not removed a cheek riser, or taken an action out of a chassis to clean it in over a year. All of my rimfire rifles are cleaned with that, while being held on my tripod. No fooling around with bore guides that could drip solvent into your trigger. No fear of damaging a crown with a jag. And the bore scope can be used to ensure everything is clean if I am really feeling neurotic.

I've heard that with a patchworm, boresnake, and other pull-style methods, there's the risk that you can wear out your crown if you don't pull perfectly straight out the front of the barrel. To that end, perhaps a "crown guide" could mitigate this risk if one was available...

I've heard that with a patchworm, boresnake, and other pull-style methods, there's the risk that you can wear out your crown if you don't pull perfectly straight out the front of the barrel. To that end, perhaps a "crown guide" could mitigate this risk if one was available...
It’s been a long time since I studied metallurgy, but my bet is that in a lifetime of cleaning a rifle, you would never make a material impact on a crown using a piece of nylon cord while using it in a common sense fashion.