• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question to see general thoughts on this

micmacman

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2021
WV
so several years ago i was in a pawn shop , seen a SKS in a crappy black folding stock , for giggles i asked to see , right off the get go a 4 digit chinese type 56 , in the crappy lighting i seen the other parts matching the reciever , i thought it was a early sino so negotiated a price and made the deal

get it home and started to see alarm bells , machine marks around all serial numbers , clearly a renumbered rifle , clearly not a sino so clearly a bad buy , thinking it was a bubba serial renumber posted pics in a sks forum and to a small measure of relief , NOT a bubba job , was a Israeli capture rework that was importedin a batch

everyone , oh its a shooter and always will be , not worth anything as collector value just enjoy it , well i dont collect "shooter" rifles , and my sks's get shot no matter what niche they fill

i sat on it for what be 4 years and started toying with the idea of a Bubba'bushka faux Dragonov , which ruffled the feathers of just about all who had told me it was basically a turd ,lol , i went ahead and did the full transformation over the summer which gave me a gun from sour grapes to one i will enjoy

do you fall into the hardcore no bubba anything or do you feel certain circumstances are ok as long as tastefully done

Meh. Got a hacksaw? You’re a gunsmith!

Chop away. It just drives up the scarcity on truly rare items and doesn’t effect anything on mass-produced, com-bloc imports.

Or you could leave it in your safe until you die and your kids give it away, still not worth anything.

I have purchased several old turds over the years and got them back looking decent with a lot of stock and metal refinishing. It is a labor of love, because the minimal profit damn sure didn't cover the hours of labor. Still, they were a lot of fun. Two of those were Norinco SKSs that were at least numbers matching. Others were single shot .22s.

I bought one SKS for $160 (with ~100 rounds of ammo) in 2008. Sold it in 2013 because that was the first price hike after Sandyhook.

Never had a problem with anyone messing with a gun that has millions of copies. Their gun, their money, their time.

Reactions: micmacman
I have purchased several old turds over the years and got them back looking decent with a lot of stock and metal refinishing. It is a labor of love, because the minimal profit damn sure didn't cover the hours of labor. Still, they were a lot of fun. Two of those were Norinco SKSs that were at least numbers matching. Others were single shot .22s.

I bought one SKS for $160 (with ~100 rounds of ammo) in 2008. Sold it in 2013 because that was the first price hike after Sandyhook.

Never had a problem with anyone messing with a gun that has millions of copies. Their gun, their money, their time.

Last edited:
Unless I miss something, it IS a Type 56, just a former PLO gun the IDF got then someone picked up cheap and tossed the original stock (which were often nice... too bad).

So, no one sees history in these, no value, but I think interesting.

Is it otherwise ruined? I found that unclear, sorry.

Does it shoot? Reliably? Accurately? Some SKs are crazy accurate.

Me, I might do whatever made me happy re furniture and optics, but with minimal metal mods (do not drill holes in it etc) in case they become in vogue sometime and it has value.

right Israeli's basically took all the battle field sks pickups , tore them down , threw everything in assorted piles ,scrubbed , refinished and then renumbered , then started assembling rifles from the piles ,so its a "force matched" rifle , basivally what the russians did to captured K98's witthout the electro pencil , then someone put it in that crappy folder and pawned it , "i" seen 4 digit serial and my mind went straight to sino soviet type 56 , got it home and in good light started seeing the grind marks on the serial , anyones guess what date of manufacture since the original sn is gone , will never acru any collector value ,then i was baically scorned for my handywork,lol , so it was a bad purchase by me , it happens , i just made the best of it

Unless I miss something, it IS a Type 56, just a former PLO gun the IDF got then someone picked up cheap and tossed the original stock (which were often nice... too bad).

So, no one sees history in these, no value, but I think interesting.

Is it otherwise ruined? I found that unclear, sorry.

Does it shoot? Reliably? Accurately? Some SKs are crazy accurate.

Me, I might do whatever made me happy re furniture and optics, but with minimal metal mods (do not drill holes in it etc) in case they become in vogue sometime and it has value.
the rifle shoots great , i had it in a wood sks stock up until this project ,chrome lined , i havnt sighted it in since its transformation , its not that it was ruined , i have maybe 8 SKS that have differnt collector traits , this one having been renumbered , the fact it wasnt a sino simply put wasnt worth the safe space , so i just wanted to do something interesting with it

Reactions: shoobe01
I reckon I'm the rare one around here.

I dont like to 'work on' stuff.

Restore an old car? Fuck that I want one I can turn the key and drive away. With all the nice new safety features that will keep my complaining ass alive.

Work on an old rifle? I want one I can take out and shoot...when I cant get one that I can.

I do appreciate y'all who do enjoy it, just not for me.

And its Russian/Chinee crap. Buy American. ;)
Fuck Communists.jpg

I reckon I'm the rare one around here.

I dont like to 'work on' stuff.

Restore an old car? Fuck that I want one I can turn the key and drive away. With all the nice new safety features that will keep my complaining ass alive.

Work on an old rifle? I want one I can take out and shoot...when I cant get one that I can.

I do appreciate y'all who do enjoy it, just not for me.

And its Russian/Chinee crap. Buy American. ;) View attachment 8212750
Age / Father Time has a way of convincing a man that you are correct... I see that in myself.

Reactions: Maggot
It’s your rifle. Do what you like. If you feel the need to ask permission or seek validation for your efforts, start with your wife’s boyfriend.

Do what you want with your own property and don't apologize for doing so... The only exception to this would be if its a rare collectable item or historically significant in some way and even then its still debatable as its your property. If it was nothing all that special to begin with, turn it into whatever the hell you want.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
True story: I found a SKS in the trash can at the range! 🤣🤣Fixed it and gave it to fellow shooter down on his luck. He was happy, I was going to use it for a boat paddle. 🤡🤡

well ive bought many years ago and still have in the safe to this day what people use to call "chinese crap , chinese trash rifles" for $250 that sell for $5k now , not asking for , but sell for , i said to each his own then , and do so now , every one of those crap rifles have acrued in value that far out pace inflation , US made rifles produced in the same time frame are lucky to have marked time with inflation

its not a communism thing , its a collectors thing , when collecting scaricity is a factor , the fact they can no longer be imported places them in a finite number , coupled with the fact whether you wish to believe it or not are actually the industry standard for quality , and anyone who dismissed them as crap just
Top the Bullpup Dragunov! Pupunov? Dragpup? Bulldrag? Hmmmm?

View attachment 8213547
love it

Sounds like you have a nice addition to the scrap heap. Unfortunately scrap prices are down right now and being a polymer stock you won't get any kindling out of the deal.

True story: I found a SKS in the trash can at the range! 🤣🤣Fixed it and gave it to fellow shooter down on his luck. He was happy, I was going to use it for a boat paddle. 🤡🤡
so in your mind me buying a sks thinking it was a sino soviet 4 digit sn , and it ending up a Israeli capture somehow translates to a wild and unfathomable story on par with trash can guy? or are you simply calling me a ier?

Sounds like you have a nice addition to the scrap heap. Unfortunately scrap prices are down right now and being a polymer stock you won't get any kindling out of the deal.
lol , no ,why the scrap heap? the pictures are a progression of the project that transformed it into the red rifle , the only thing wrong with it barring the cheesy poly stock was it was not a sino but a scrubbed force matched rifle , why does this seem to be so hard to grasp

so in your mind me buying a sks thinking it was a sino soviet 4 digit sn , and it ending up a Israeli capture somehow translates to a wild and unfathomable story on par with trash can guy? or are you simply calling me a ier?
So you are but hurt over a post I made that had nothing to do with you? WTF? I just stated where I “found” one. If I ever call you something you’ll know.

So you are but hurt over a post I made that had nothing to do with you? WTF? I just stated where I “found” one. If I ever call you something you’ll know.
you inject that stupid shit , into a thread that has not one iota to do with that dumpster thread , i call you out on it and you somehow see yourself the slighted here? you really are a turd muncher arent you

it is your SKS, do what you want with it,

I ordered a half dozen from a guy that had a good price on the PW imports a few years ago,
the well used Chinese greasy bastard guns that were stuck in Albania or some similar shit hole long enough to get imported,

sold all of them off except 2, and one to my friend that wanted the worst one,

why the worst, cause he plans on cleaning it up and making a Faux Chauchaut MG for WW1 reenacting,

he he does German Reenacting,

has he done it yet, nope, but I have seen pics of others that were done and they nice, (but slightly smaller than an original )

you inject that stupid shit , into a thread that has not one iota to do with that dumpster thread , i call you out on it and you somehow see yourself the slighted here? you really are a turd muncher arent you
Thanks Karen! Name calling, well I did not degrade or ever mention you. Go be a fucking cry baby somewhere else!

it is your SKS, do what you want with it,

I ordered a half dozen from a guy that had a good price on the PW imports a few years ago,
the well used Chinese greasy bastard guns that were stuck in Albania or some similar shit hole long enough to get imported,

sold all of them off except 2, and one to my friend that wanted the worst one,

why the worst, cause he plans on cleaning it up and making a Faux Chauchaut MG for WW1 reenacting,

he he does German Reenacting,

has he done it yet, nope, but I have seen pics of others that were done and they nice, (but slightly smaller than an original )
A faux Chauchat (Fauxchat?) from an SKS? I'd kinda like to see that.

wow , your life must really be a shit show to need to come to a internet orum to be a tough guy

How does calling it like I see it make me a tough guy? SKS’s are garbage and they always have been. There’s a reason you used to be able to buy them for less than $100 and even then that’s more than they should cost. I’d take the shittiest poverty special PSA or BCA AR-15 100x over before I’d take an SKS.

I have a feeling I am one of the few "old army gun" folks on here. Personally what I do to it depends greatly on condition. After learning it was a mix master from Israel I would have basically left it be. If it had modern parts, like a stock bolted to it, I would ditch that and start the hunt for something that would be correct.

In my book being a ex Israel piece makes it something. They all have a story to tell, that is this things story. And yes I know you buy the piece not the story, unless that story has a shit ton of paperowrk to back it up.

The only "bubba" I am interested in are ones done in the 1950's 60's. It was a very different time back then. IMHO anyone that has "modified" a rifle in the last 30 years is a flat fucking idiot. It will never out shoot that savage axis that cost.....well now half of that rifle you just bought, unless you are looking at the latest batch of stuff from RTI.

problem solved you all can fuck off , this forum is a cheap copy of reddit ,lol
There's a few different places that you could have started this thread. But NO, you chose the Bear Pit and then act like the bunny rabbit. The bear asks the bunny if shit sticks to his fur. The bunny says no. So the bear wiped his ass with the bunny.