• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question-Tuners

Milo 2.5

The Dalai Lama of the Reload
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2014
Gillette, WY
You guys running tuners, do you remove the tuner when you clean your barrel? I have been leery of the thought, and leave mine on.
EC V2, I think by leaving it on, this last cleaning may have bit me in the ass.

I leave both of my EC V2 tuners on. I take a 30cal patch with C4 carbon cleaner in the tuner adaptor tube, let it soak, cleans everything out.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
EC v1 with their 1/2-28 adapter on a T1x. I leave it on but muzzle is at a downward angle in the cleaning cradle.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
I take my Harrell tuner off and clean it everytime I clean my rifle. Have had no problems at all.
I should remove mine, has to be gunk between muzzle and adapter. I spray gun scrubber in there and down the barrel after cleaning.
But once, V2 on my Vudoo, their MTU contour, I was tuning, went for the mecca with more out, going back, not repeatable. So much so, I ran the gauntlet twice, in to out, pulled it. Finally one day I asked myself why are you shooting at 50 yards. Back on, tested at 300 yards, now I was getting somewhere, and I feel the barrel is tuned, and not the ammo. Why I am leery, lol

I meet a lot of shooters that are very very leery to touch anything on their equipment for fear it will not work again. I've never been this way.

Today was rifle cleaning day. Took my Harrell tuner off and even took it apart to see what it looks like inside.
When I say repeatable....I mean very very repeatable. :cool:

20230918_120940.jpg

20230918_121441.jpg

Reactions: Precision Quest
I meet a lot of shooters that are very very leery to touch anything on their equipment for fear it will not work again. I've never been this way.
You brought way too much common sense into this. Your unit a little different and looks to have more finite adjustments.
All I have to do is spin mine off with 1 1/16" wrench, I just need to do it and remove the doubt.
What exactly are threads for at the front of the adapter?

Reactions: BowChamp
You brought way too much common sense into this. Your unit a little different and looks to have more finite adjustments.
All I have to do is spin mine off with 1 1/16" wrench, I just need to do it and remove the doubt.
The forward threads are often present to add additional weights.

Those particular threads are for a bloop tube. The internal threads on the outer shell are for extra weights.
I don't see add on weights listed. Clearly a decent product, I'd really have to think about a clamp on though.

I don't see add on weights listed. Clearly a decent product, I'd really have to think about a clamp on though.
Only place I've seen the add on weights and tubes for the Harrell offered:

As others have said, the threads are for weights and tubes.

What is interesting is in the past tuners were something used with BR shooting and mainly off a stable rest set up. I know of several shooters who have had success outside of the traditional BR setups.

Lee
Something that works is always sought after and it appears a lot of shooters are looking for that elusive edge to up their game.

They do work and work very well. (y)

Something that works is always sought after and it appears a lot of shooters are looking for that elusive edge to up their game.

They do work and work very well. (y)
Oh, I know they work. a little more than two years ago I was working with a shooter. he was shooting a Vudoo with a 20" barrel off a bi-pod I sent him a modified Harrel tuner about 4.3 oz in weight. he reported he was getting great results. few months back he reported same tuner same setting was still shooting great.

Lee

Oh, I know they work. a little more than two years ago I was working with a shooter. he was shooting a Vudoo with a 20" barrel off a bi-pod I sent him a modified Harrel tuner about 4.3 oz in weight. he reported he was getting great results. few months back he reported same tuner same setting was still shooting great.

Lee
You peaked my interest....If you don't mind me asking, what was modified on the tuner and why?

Thank you Sir.

You peaked my interest....If you don't mind me asking, what was modified on the tuner and why?

Thank you Sir.
I remove material from the main tuner body or outer barrel of tuner. My reason for doing this is to help the barrel achieve the highest peak in its upward movement. I believe in bullet exit timing when tuning and I want exit to be at the highest point. I also believe in having the correct amount of weight and no more to achieve this. I based this on how ir50/50 sporters can shoot with a fixed weight on the barrel.

Here is what the tuner looks like after being modified. tuner pictured weighs about 4.5 oz. other picture is of an ir50/50 sporter barrel.

Lee
p.s I edited what I do to the tuner as may it have been misunderstood, I was removing material from the rifle barrel; I meant the outer barrel of the tuner.

Attachments

• IMG_4129 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4129 - Copy.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC04622 - Copy.JPG
    DSC04622 - Copy.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I remove material from the main tuner body or outer barrel of tuner. My reason for doing this is to help the barrel achieve the highest peak in its upward movement. I believe in bullet exit timing when tuning and I want exit to be at the highest point. I also believe in having the correct amount of weight and no more to achieve this. I based this on how ir50/50 sporters can shoot with a fixed weight on the barrel.

Here is what the tuner looks like after being modified. tuner pictured weighs about 4.5 oz. other picture is of an ir50/50 sporter barrel.

Lee
p.s I edited what I do to the tuner as may it have been misunderstood, I was removing material from the rifle barrel; I meant the outer barrel of the tuner.
Mr Lee,
Thanks for the pictures!! I'm following what you're saying. Am I correct in thinking a lighter/thinner barrel requires a lighter weighted tuner?

How would I know if I'm at the highest point of exit?

Thanks!

Mr Lee,
Thanks for the pictures!! I'm following what you're saying. Am I correct in thinking a lighter/thinner barrel requires a lighter weighted tuner?

How would I know if I'm at the highest point of exit?

Thanks!
You're welcome. on barrel profiles it doesn't always follow that one or the other means more or less weight. I determine by seeing how it shoots bare barrel. with known good ammo shooting bare barrel will give me two things how it shoots and the natural POI height. knowing the natural POI height IMO is going to help you find a tuner setting with correct exit timing which will give near same or even higher POI.

Here is an example. 5 shot group no tuner POA was centered on the bull below. so, the goal with a tuner is to find a setting that will closely match the natural height of the POI of the bare barrel group. now comparison of shots with a 4.50 oz. tuner set at zero notice the obvious dropped shots as this is not the setting for this barrel. then an interesting comparison of a standard weight tuner and the 4.50 oz. tuner same setting of 55 with same lot of CX shot on the same day. notice the standard weight group is lower and the lighter tuner is higher and closer to the bare barrel group in height. and the most important thing is the lite tuner group is right of POA. the shots are following the natural flight path of the right-hand TW barrel. this is the most important as it tells me exit timing is correct.

anyway, this is how I determine tuner weight. FYI, most weigh in the 4.3-4.6 oz. range regardless of barrel profile.

Lee

Attachments

• tuner target.jpg
    tuner target.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 36
  • M12 BR build.jpg
    M12 BR build.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Initial tuning session settings - Copy.jpg
    Initial tuning session settings - Copy.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
You're welcome. on barrel profiles it doesn't always follow that one or the other means more or less weight. I determine by seeing how it shoots bare barrel. with known good ammo shooting bare barrel will give me two things how it shoots and the natural POI height. knowing the natural POI height IMO is going to help you find a tuner setting with correct exit timing which will give near same or even higher POI.

Here is an example. 5 shot group no tuner POA was centered on the bull below. so, the goal with a tuner is to find a setting that will closely match the natural height of the POI of the bare barrel group. now comparison of shots with a 4.50 oz. tuner set at zero notice the obvious dropped shots as this is not the setting for this barrel. then an interesting comparison of a standard weight tuner and the 4.50 oz. tuner same setting of 55 with same lot of CX shot on the same day. notice the standard weight group is lower and the lighter tuner is higher and closer to the bare barrel group in height. and the most important thing is the lite tuner group is right of POA. the shots are following the natural flight path of the right-hand TW barrel. this is the most important as it tells me exit timing is correct.

anyway, this is how I determine tuner weight. FYI, most weigh in the 4.3-4.6 oz. range regardless of barrel profile.

Lee
Thank you Sir!!

Just wanted to do a follow up on the repeatability of my tuner. As y'all saw, Monday was rifle cleaning day. I took my tuner apart and cleaned it, mostly wanted to see what it looked like inside.

Yesterday I shot our local ARA match. We had the #1 shooter in our state making a visit so I dug into my closet and pulled out a little bit of ammo I was saving for hard times. Up to this point I had only shot ten rounds of said ammo and was very pleased. Used the same tuner setting I've had since tuning my rifle.

Long story short, It shot good for me. I didn't do this ammo justice when the wind started swirling but managed to pull a win over our #1 shooter so I'll take it. I knew the wind was my only chance at a win. We started out with a 3 to 5 mph wind and went into a 5 to 10 mph very switchy breeze.

My final scores were 2250-9X, 2150-10X, 1925-7X, 1825-4X.

20230923_161040.jpg

20230923_161059.jpg

20230923_161125.jpg

20230923_161151.jpg

Just wanted to do a follow up on the repeatability of my tuner. As y'all saw, Monday was rifle cleaning day. I took my tuner apart and cleaned it, mostly wanted to see what it looked like inside.

Yesterday I shot our local ARA match. We had the #1 shooter in our state making a visit so I dug into my closet and pulled out a little bit of ammo I was saving for hard times. Up to this point I had only shot ten rounds of said ammo and was very pleased. Used the same tuner setting I've had since tuning my rifle.

Long story short, It shot good for me. I didn't do this ammo justice when the wind started swirling but managed to pull a win over our #1 shooter so I'll take it. I knew the wind was my only chance at a win. We started out with a 3 to 5 mph wind and went into a 5 to 10 mph very switchy breeze.

My final scores were 2250-9X, 2150-10X, 1925-7X, 1825-4X.

View attachment 8234338

View attachment 8234339

View attachment 8234340

View attachment 8234341
Great shooting! for me I have to travel to shoot ARA. so, if there is wind or conditions not usually present, I feel it equalizes any home range advantage.
I just replied to your message, and I have to ask. you sure you want to try another method? looks like your rifle is shooting pretty good.

Lee

Great shooting! for me I have to travel to shoot ARA. so, if there is wind or conditions not usually present, I feel it equalizes any home range advantage.
I just replied to your message, and I have to ask. you sure you want to try another method? looks like your rifle is shooting pretty good.

Lee
Thank you Sir!! We've really been working on our wind shooting and reading our flags. We started the year with cold high winds....12 to 30 mph. After several months we started thinking it was just normal. :LOL: I will say it's amazing how far a 22 LR bullet will move in the wind. o_O

All the other shooters hope for calm conditions and we hope for wind....they look at us like we're crazy. LOL!!!

Thank you Sir!! We've really been working on our wind shooting and reading our flags. We started the year with cold high winds....12 to 30 mph. After several months we started thinking it was just normal. :LOL: I will say it's amazing how far a 22 LR bullet will move in the wind. o_O

All the other shooters hope for calm conditions and we hope for wind....they look at us like we're crazy. LOL!!!
You'll be surprised how many shooters see wind and it just screws with their mind. I will say this you have a great mental game, a lot of shooters on hearing that the best shooter is showing up would just accept to be second at best. not you, you made sure to have your best lot to shoot with.
that is accepting the challenge and not giving up.

as they say it isn't over till the fat lady sings and she sang a song for your victory dance! again great shooting.

Lee

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
You'll be surprised how many shooters see wind and it just screws with their mind. I will say this you have a great mental game, a lot of shooters on hearing that the best shooter is showing up would just accept to be second at best. not you, you made sure to have your best lot to shoot with.
that is accepting the challenge and not giving up.

as they say it isn't over till the fat lady sings and she sang a song for your victory dance! again great shooting.

Lee
Thank you Sir!!! I do like a challenge.