• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Question

arkansashntr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
Hot Springs, AR
Tried to find this question in other threads but no luck.

I have a .308 Remington 5R 20" barrel with a YHM Phantom Ti and I was wanting to shoot subsonic ammo. Will the twist in the 5R shoot subsonics accurately?

Also what powder brand and charge do you shoot and what weight bullet?

Thanks

Re: Question

Question, what is the twist rate? 1/10 twist will stabilize up to 210 grain bullets (supposed to at least thats the design). I would make some and shoot them close on paper and look for keyholing before I put my .30 cal can on it. You have enough barrel length I wouldnt worry about that. If your going to make your own loads there are a few pointers you can look up for sub sonics.

Choose your bullet weight
drill the primer hole to 9/64"
use magnum primers.
be careful
Be careful
BE CAREFUL!

OK, that means it cant quite stabilize as heavy of a bullet as a 1/10 twist. But You can find subsonic loads for lighter bullets.

Give Southwest Ammo a call and ask him for his 175gr subsonic loads. They work well. I have taken many a varmint around my house with them late at night. And I have two kids that go to bed at 8pm.... I never wake them
wink.gif

I had some extra 155 RN (I think Sierras but can't quite remember) that I wasn't using so I decided to try them. From reading around I decided to go with Trail Boss powder. I think I started out at 10 grs. since what I had been reading most people were going with 9.6 grs. Well the 10 grs. were subsonic and I started getting key holing around 9.8, so I just stayed at 10. But there are plenty of recipes around. I was going through an older Rem 700, and a Savage 110.