• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question

window licker

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2023
North carolina
First post here ever and was looking for some advice. Sorry if this is not posted in the right place. I'm looking to get my first high end bolt gun. I've pretty much always been on the ar15/ar10 platform. I've had cheaper bolt guns for hunting. but never really anything nice. I'm wanting something as accurate and reliable as possible. I looked at some accuracy international rifles. but I wanna see if im gonna like bolt guns. before I drop that much on one. I'd like to keep the budget for the base rifle around 5k$. I've got a nightforce and accutac ready to be mounted once I figure out what I should get. Looking to get a 308 maybe a 300 win mag. probably won't shoot past 850 yards unless i go to a range that has it.

Lots of ways to try it out for WAY under 5k.

I have several nice and very accurate rifles.
Not 1 of them totals 5k including glass.

A few good factory options.
Lots of custom ones you can assemble yourself if you have any mechanical aptitude.

Im cheap, so quality options gently used often get my vote.

I would advise to steer clear of magnums for a target to 850 rifle.
.308 works.
If you are shooting factory ammo, look at the 6.5 or 6 creedmoor. They flat out work.

My personal fav is an Origin action, prefit or barrel by smith (I have both and both shoot, though my smithed barrels have been easier in load development)
Chassis or stock of choice, trigger same, and glass which you have.

I think my origin and barrel cost me $1300. Trigger $200
Chassis I bought used for $700 (MPA).

There is a deal on an Origin with a 6.5 creedmoor barrel in the PX that I would snag if I were in the market for another….

Uhhh… you realize that there are AI rifles that are within your budget, right? There’s no reason to spend what you could on an AI to buy something else to try it out, only to turn around and rebuy what you really want.

If you want an AI and $5K is what you have to spend then buy a $5K AI. That will get you a new ATX or AT, or a used ASXA. If it were my money I’d go the ATX route.

Here's an option(s)

Aero Precision SOLUS. There is a 308 M24 profile barreled action and complete rifle version I think would really get you up rockin and poppin real quick.

300WM a bit more than I think you will want for what you are doing.

I’m going to assume you’ve built some AR platform rifles. Bolt guns are firearm Legos now, just like the AR platform so you can get may more gun for your money if you build it yourself. This will also allow you to choose an action with replaceable bolt heads to swap between cartridges of different sized bases(think .308 and 300WM). You can build this for a decent price and if it isn’t something you decide to keep it’ll be easy to unload as a rifle or part it out without taking too big a hit

^^^ winning for dumbest thing said on the Hide today.
And you have some serious sub 80 competitors.

🤣🤣

New to shooting?

Buy an 8k dollar very specialized rifle jn .308……
🤣

Nice dang rifles though.

Reactions: redneckbmxer24
If you don’t want to futz around learning about and building a custom bolt action (and usually waiting for parts), there’s plenty of cheaper (but very nice) bolt guns out there for you to test the waters with.

Don’t have to immediately dive into the deep end. You could sink a lot of mental energy and time into something you ultimately find isn’t fun for you.

Two brands that come to mind are Tikka and Bergara. For example, consider a Tikka Tac A1 or Super Varmint (both with two stage triggers) or a Bergara Premier (not B-14).

For the rifle alone you’d be out the door for $1500-$2000.

I’m sure there’s many equivalent brands out there, but you get the idea.

I suppose the advantages for the Tikka models I mentioned above are the stock two-stage triggers (if you like those) and that they come with a picatinny rail. You’d have to buy both of those if you went with Bergara. I believe Tikkas have prefit barrels available too.

You could even get this first bolt action in .223 and if later you want a more high end gun, buy it in a larger caliber. You’d still have a fun low-recoiling trainer in .223 that other people in your life might like to play with too.

Just remembered Bergara Premiers don’t come in .223…but you get the idea.