• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questionable ammo found, safe, or no

buggz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Georgia
Hello,

I found boxes of ammo.
It appears they suffered in what appears, some kind of water exposure.
I don’t think they were directly sitting in a pool of water.
However, it appears water was wicked/absorbed.
I notice corroded primers.
Is it safe to shoot such ammo?
I am afraid of possible squibs, with bullets stuck in the barrel.
Or worse…

Attachments

• 16C0948E-8405-413D-A4D8-7B66793ED49A.jpeg
    16C0948E-8405-413D-A4D8-7B66793ED49A.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 26BCF29C-B695-4DBF-AD74-FDF493796A40.jpeg
    26BCF29C-B695-4DBF-AD74-FDF493796A40.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 161
  • D26F5CA0-3118-46F0-9157-526294808DC8.jpeg
    D26F5CA0-3118-46F0-9157-526294808DC8.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 179
Lots of people tumble loaded ammo. I don't think its something to be too scared off.

I would not be afraid to shoot that ammo. If you are send it to me, I always wondered how my 308 would shoot FGMM. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Send it to me.

Ill test it.

and send you back the brass.

I'd shoot that ammo, I don't see anything from your pictures that would worry me. Just be aware, which should be SOP anyway.

Just got new RCBS Rebel press, new Inline Fabrication ultra mount, new Redding #1 shell holder, new Hornady cam lock bullet puller with correct collet for 308.
Watched the video on Ultimate Reloader for setup, etc.
Pulled one from the ugliest I can find, perfect NO marks on the bullet!
There is powder stuck on the bullet base.
Powder is clumped and stuck inside the case, does not free flow out, even with repeated tappings.

Does this mean anything?

Last edited:
Hello,

I found boxes of ammo.
It appears they suffered in what appears, some kind of water exposure.
I don’t think they were directly sitting in a pool of water.
However, it appears water was wicked/absorbed.
I notice corroded primers.
Is it safe to shoot such ammo?
I am afraid of possible squibs, with bullets stuck in the barrel.
Or worse…
Dang, I got worse looking "NEW" Win 6.5 from Bud's Gunshop about a year ago. Sort of one of the reasons why I will never do business with them again.

But, they shot just fine.

Either try them or throw them. Your choice and nobody will be able to give you the definitive, safe as a bank vault, answer you are looking for.

Reactions: buggz
Dang, I got worse looking "NEW" Win 6.5 from Bud's Gunshop about a year ago. Sort of one of the reasons why I will never do business with them again.

But, they shot just fine.

Either try them or throw them. Your choice and nobody will be able to give you the definitive, safe as a bank vault, answer you are looking for.
Okay thanks, I was worried about possible squibs.
Shrug, If the primers pop, I think they should work.
Other sites have also reported worse condition ammo as working.
Just trying to be safe…

Thanks again…

Just trying to be safe…
Oh yes, my friend. I understand and when I saw that ammo from Bud's Shitshow of a Gun Store I had qualms also. But, it shot fine.

And yes, aside from safety...well its really part of safety....I also understand not wanting to have to mess with a stuck bullet in the bore.

Just as suggestion from a clinical paranoid (haha), make sure you have optics on hand to verify impact of each and every shot and assure yourself you don't have one stuck in the bore. Yes, it should be obvious but the "obvious" is often anything but.

If you can't identify your bullet hole in the target, or see your splash, pull the bolt and look before shooting anymore.

And hey....even paranoids have real enemies! haha

Where in GA? I'm down in Albany hunting quail and deer two/three times a year. Love it.

Best of luck.

Reactions: buggz
Wow!
I would definately freak out over that.
Thanks for the information!
I gotta schedule to try some of mine at deer camp...