• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questioning the quality of the Ckye-Pod- UPDATE - New one received !!

I didnt buy direct, I got it from what appeared to be a licensed dealer. (carrys a number of your products)
That's ok, we can still take care of you regardless. It might take a bit longer, but we are here to work with you in anyway we can!

Well, I went and did it. I ordered the Ckye Pod and finally got it in today. I got the PRS Short version with Arca. I was surprised and a little let down when I got it out of the packaging and started to play with it. I was expecting, maybe higher quality or tighter tolerances. I was really shocked at how wobbly and lose the legs were. Specifically where they attach and rotate for the splay-out. The pivot for the legs to sweep (deploy) are lose too but not AS bad.

Maybe I was expecting too much for a bipod thats $550? I mean that is a lot of cabbage for something to be simply imperfect.

Anyone else have a similar experience or reaction when they got theirs?

EDIT - UPDATE Range trip

uh yea. this thingy fell clean off after 6 rounds on bench

fucking super duper

View attachment 7333537
$500 ???? Holy shit . I bought a Sinclair tactical for less than 200 and I’m stoked with it . Lots of money for a bipod .

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
$500 ???? Holy shit . I bought a Sinclair tactical for less than 200 and I’m stoked with it . Lots of money for a bipod .
Nice things cost money.

I have no experience with the ckyepod... but I do get tired of people bitching about price of products. All it does is encourage inventors to cut corners in production.

and then people complain about the lack of quality in products or why everything is made in China...

There has to be a balance, of course. CHarging premium for a product and using 'easy' and cheap production methods is bullshit. I'll pay premium for premium products or services, but churing out shit and saying 'well, it's an expensive sport' is a load of crap.

I paid something in the region of $400 for my LRA light tactical many years ago. It's only drawback is that you can't deploy that thing quickly for love or money, but in every other metric, it's perfect. There's no looseness in the works, it's quick detach, rock steady and about as well made and machined as anything out there (with perhaps the exception of the new TBAC bipod which looks like alien technology).

With all the use of bags these days, how much does one need a bipod really? That's a sincere question, not poking at anyone. I used to just use my backpack the majority of the time to be honest.

Nice things cost money.

I have no experience with the ckyepod... but I do get tired of people bitching about price of products. All it does is encourage inventors to cut corners in production.

You understand this just as well as we do, and I think that it all really boils down to the fact that: "you get what you pay for".

Look, if you want to pay $100 for product ABC, rather than $200 for product DEF or $300 for GHI, then all the power to you! But the problem is that product DEF or GHI will probably do something different, be made differently or have a cool feature that ABC doesn't, and those facts are what cause it to cost 2x or 3x as much. In most cases, product ABC will work amazing and do everything you want it to do and more, but does that make products DEF and GHI obsolete and useless? No. What it means that ABC is good, but so are DEF and GHI, just in different ways.

The flip side to this is if you ball out and buy product GHI, that doesn't automatically guarantee that it is a BETTER PRODUCT FOR YOU and you may find that the features, material and ergonomics are better on product DEF or ABC FOR WHAT YOU'RE DOING. No one is forcing you to buy product GHI for the most money, and if you don't like it, then you can return it or sell it to someone else, sho may love it or hate it depending on their use. This is just the basic concept of free will and the free market.

The reason our Ckye Pod costs what it does is material and machine time. It is a complex product and would only decrease in cost if we made a bajillion of them a year OR lowered the quality of the part that the end user receives. This whole thread started because of former (kind of) where we scaled up production from just Ckye and his wife hand assembling and batch checking parts to see which ones "felt right" to them, to a full production manner. The "first gen" Cyke Pods were tight tolerance, lots of assembly time, more expensive materials and machining processes, but are an excellent product. When we scaled up this model, we could not control everything as tightly as Ckye did, and, admittedly, there are a few MDT Ckye Pods out there that are looser tolerances than they are now. We worked on this and are still working on this to make it right. If you have an issue with any MDT product, let us know, call, email, PM, carrier pigeon, smoke signal, WHATEVER us and we'll do what we can to help :)

Josh

You understand this just as well as we do, and I think that it all really boils down to the fact that: "you get what you pay for".

Look, if you want to pay $100 for product ABC, rather than $200 for product DEF or $300 for GHI, then all the power to you! But the problem is that product DEF or GHI will probably do something different, be made differently or have a cool feature that ABC doesn't, and those facts are what cause it to cost 2x or 3x as much. In most cases, product ABC will work amazing and do everything you want it to do and more, but does that make products DEF and GHI obsolete and useless? No. What it means that ABC is good, but so are DEF and GHI, just in different ways.

The flip side to this is if you ball out and buy product GHI, that doesn't automatically guarantee that it is a BETTER PRODUCT FOR YOU and you may find that the features, material and ergonomics are better on product DEF or ABC FOR WHAT YOU'RE DOING. No one is forcing you to buy product GHI for the most money, and if you don't like it, then you can return it or sell it to someone else, sho may love it or hate it depending on their use. This is just the basic concept of free will and the free market.

The reason our Ckye Pod costs what it does is material and machine time. It is a complex product and would only decrease in cost if we made a bajillion of them a year OR lowered the quality of the part that the end user receives. This whole thread started because of former (kind of) where we scaled up production from just Ckye and his wife hand assembling and batch checking parts to see which ones "felt right" to them, to a full production manner. The "first gen" Cyke Pods were tight tolerance, lots of assembly time, more expensive materials and machining processes, but are an excellent product. When we scaled up this model, we could not control everything as tightly as Ckye did, and, admittedly, there are a few MDT Ckye Pods out there that are looser tolerances than they are now. We worked on this and are still working on this to make it right. If you have an issue with any MDT product, let us know, call, email, PM, carrier pigeon, smoke signal, WHATEVER us and we'll do what we can to help :)

Josh

thanks for the reply Josh.

your explanation does make most sense. Admitingly I wasnt sure what to expect when the pod got here as I never got behind one and made my purchase based on MDT's reputation, reviews I have read and what other shooters I have talked to had to say. After receiving it I wasnt sure if this specific bipod was what I was supposed to get. The issues I have had weren't ones that I had heard or learned about. I was concerned if someone was already ripping counterfeits.

Ill be shipping this one back to your facility in hopes to get a late model replacement or maybe one of your techs can tell me there's nothing wrong with it and its just is what it is.

Granted your cost analysis is spot on, but to the end consumer (who keeps your company in business) there's always going to be a perceived value vs product vs reality at the end of the day.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Nice things cost money.

I have experience with the Sinclair . It is steadier than my 25# bald eagle front rest . Proof is in the pudding ! 5 shots at 300 yards !
Measures .535

Attachments

• 9B799BBF-1CDB-4E5A-A0EA-1006FD3FFD56.jpeg
    9B799BBF-1CDB-4E5A-A0EA-1006FD3FFD56.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Wow
Reactions: AnimalMother224
Granted your cost analysis is spot on, but to the end consumer (who keeps your company in business) there's always going to be a perceived value vs product vs reality at the end of the day.
I have experience with the Sinclair . It is steadier than my 25# bald eagle front rest . Proof is in the pudding ! 5 shots at 300 yards !
Measures .535
What are you attempting to say here?

I’m saying you don’t need a $500 bipod to shoot tight groups !
Who said you did?

Will your sinclair do that EVERY TIME off rocks? Concrete? Sand? Wood? Tires? Shingles? etc? If so... I'd really like to see a demonstration. Video with range verification if you please.

If you want to over-simplify everything like that... I could say because you can use a chevy S10 to pull a horse trailer down the block... you don't need a 1 ton dually to pull a horse trailer!

I'm not advocating for the ckye pod. I don't own one. Never tried one. I'm advocating the fact that a lot of users "perception" of hardware in this sport, doesn't in ANY WAY line up with the reality of what that product can allow a shooter to do. That's the issue when people don't have the experience to even have a clue what they do not know.

That's why I have this really novel approach to the problem, that is seemingly really unique and rare:

ACTUALLY USE THINGS BEFORE OPENING YOUR MOUTH ABOUT THEM IN A NEGATIVE WAY. ... and especially before making proclamations about whether they are "worth the money" or not.

Who said you did?

Will your sinclair do that EVERY TIME off rocks? Concrete? Sand? Wood? Tires? Shingles? etc? If so... I'd really like to see a demonstration. Video with range verification if you please.

If you want to over-simplify everything like that... I could say because you can use a chevy S10 to pull a horse trailer down the block... you don't need a 1 ton dually to pull a horse trailer!

I'm not advocating for the ckye pod. I don't own one. Never tried one. I'm advocating the fact that a lot of users "perception" of hardware in this sport, doesn't in ANY WAY line up with the reality of what that product can allow a shooter to do. That's the issue when people don't have the experience to even have a clue what they do not know.

That's why I have this really novel approach to the problem, that is seemingly really unique and rare:

ACTUALLY USE THINGS BEFORE OPENING YOUR MOUTH ABOUT THEM IN A NEGATIVE WAY. ... and especially before making proclamations about whether they are "worth the money" or not.
Looks like someone has been couped up too long ! I’ll simplify it even further . A FOOL AND HIS MONEY SOON PART ! I shoot with guys that buy full blown customs . BIG BUCKS ! They are no more accurate than the rifle I built myself .

• Haha
Reactions: cdeiglmeier

We hosted a NRL border wars match this past Sunday. We had 47 shooters. More than 50% were running ckyepods. All of the top 10 were running them.

I’ve had a Ckye pod and currently have two Atlas and two Harris bipods. I can honestly say the Ckye pod is the most versatile bipod I’ve used, by far. I absolutely love the leg width adjustment. It can go from extremely wide and low to high and narrow very quickly. That’s extremely useful in prs type comps. You can adapt it to provide support in more situations than most (maybe any) other bipod. It’s not perfect. However, it’s quality isn’t something I ever questioned. It was absolutely a high quality item.

When I sold my AX, I also sold the Ckye pod, but not because I didn’t like it or didn’t think it wasn’t worth the $. I think it’s worth every penny and would not hesitate to buy another, especially for prs shooting.

I love my Atlas bipods as well, but they just aren’t as adjustable as the Ckye pod. Depending on what you are using it for, that might not matter. Lots of people use Atlas and Harris bipods in prs and are very successful. They are just a tool. You don’t need an $8000 AI to shoot tiny groups, and you don’t need a $500 bipod to do that either, but the features could be beneficial for some people in certain situations. If I was putting together a kit for prs shooting, a Ckye pod would be a must.

I've seen that claim made a lot. Never seen it proven.
Bring your custom on over ! Now I do have Shilen select match barrel on my rifles , but I built them myself . They have never seen a gunsmith

HAH!... No way in this lifetime I'm travelling to that hell hole. So you go on talking down every "expensive" thing you want. I don't believe your claim for a second. If it's true, then you simply aren't shooting with shooters representative of what's out there today.

• Haha
Reactions: spife7980
HAH!... No way in this lifetime I'm travelling to that hell hole. So you go on talking down every "expensive" thing you want. I don't believe your claim for a second. If it's true, then you simply aren't shooting with shooters representative of what's out there today.
Here’s mine ! All at 300 yards . Let’s see yours !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Sylvertiger
You can keep your wallet groups. I've shot with enough people to know my pedigree. I just get plum sick of seeing people misleading others while talking them into cheap garbage. You aren't doing anyone any favors.
I understand ! Those groups are pretty intimidating! Lol. How about a 6 group load work up ? Even bad loads aren’t over 1.25 at 300 yards !

Attachments

• 7D79C593-5400-4C7E-B9BC-F4ABE6D57BB3.jpeg
    7D79C593-5400-4C7E-B9BC-F4ABE6D57BB3.jpeg
    638.4 KB · Views: 82
A lot of talk about shooting "little groups on paper" in a thread that is discussing a bipod that was purpose built for competitions that rarely involve shooting "little groups on paper". No one told you that buying an expensive bipod automatically makes it the best bipod to suit your needs. If you are a dude who just shoots groups off a bench or prone, a Ckyepod may not be your cup of tea. That doesn't make it "not worth the money" - maybe just a poor choice on your part. I wouldn't buy an F-Class bipod and complain that it sucks when I put it on a rooftop or try to put it in 5 different positions in 90 seconds. Because that is not what it was built to do.

I was at the match @hic28 mentioned earlier and I can tell you I watched several people struggle trying to use other bipods on the sideways rooftop stage. There were one or two guys I saw have success with an Atlas, but mostly it was Ckyepod or just bag it. There was another stage which involved prone shooting at the end of the stage and a dude couldn't get enough bipod height to get on target so he shot it unsupported prone (Props to him btw). But the bottom line is, for this type of shooting, those are concerns you really don't have to worry about with a Ckyepod. It's probably the most versatile bipod I've ever used.. I honestly can't think of any time where I said to myself "Damn, wish I had some other bipod instead".

Last edited:
A lot of talk about shooting "little groups on paper" in a thread that is discussing a bipod that was purpose built for competitions that rarely involve shooting "little groups on paper". No one told you that buying an expensive bipod automatically makes it the best bipod to suit your needs. If you are a dude who just shoots groups off a bench or prone, a Ckyepod may not be your cup of tea. That doesn't make it "not worth the money" - maybe just a poor choice on your part. I wouldn't buy an F-Class bipod and complain that it sucks when I put it on a rooftop or try to put it in 5 different positions in 90 seconds. Because that is not what it was built to do.

I was at the match @hic28 mentioned earlier and I can tell you I watched several people struggle trying to use other bipods on the sideways rooftop stage. There were one or two guys I saw have success with an Atlas, but mostly it was Ckyepod or just bag it. Honestly, the Ckyepod is one of the most versatile bipods I've ever used.. I honestly can't think of any time where I said to myself "Damn, wish I had some other bipod instead".
I guess we did get off topic a little ! Sorry !

We hosted a NRL border wars match this past Sunday. We had 47 shooters. More than 50% were running ckyepods. All of the top 10 were running them.

primarily the reason why I went with the ckye. Im not saying its going to make me or anyone a better shooter but with the versatility of adjustment it should help take that one of 1,000 variables out of the mix.

A bipod tailer made for the multitudes of positions dreamed Up by event organizers and some hunting applications.
Not something I’d use but I have no doubt about it’s usefulness in its element.

Reactions: Dobermann
I have both the Atlas PSR , Cal Gen2 and a Ckye-Pod. I can tell you the Ckye-Pod is pretty solid and like everyone else here the versatility is second to none.

You can keep your wallet groups. I've shot with enough people to know my pedigree. I just get plum sick of seeing people misleading others while talking them into cheap garbage. You aren't doing anyone any favors.
I’m sure gun builders don’t want to hear this and they certainly don’t want anyone else to hear this , but I’m sure you have heard that 90% of the accuracy comes from the barrel . The action just holds the end of the case . And with a Savage the bolt doesn’t even have to be perfectly square due to their floating bolt head . Screw the barrel on , set proper headspace and WA LA.

I’m sure gun builders don’t want to hear this and they certainly don’t want anyone else to hear this , but I’m sure you have heard that 90% of the accuracy comes from the barrel . The action just holds the end of the case . And with a Savage the bolt doesn’t even have to be perfectly square due to their floating bolt head . Screw the barrel on , set proper headspace and WA LA.
Your delusional to think your savage is the equal to a good custom.

Your delusional to think your savage is the equal to a good custom.
Equal in accuracy !!!! Not saying anywhere near as smooth, but definitely as accurate ! The invite is out there along with crisp $100 !

I understand ! Those groups are pretty intimidating! Lol. How about a 6 group load work up ? Even bad loads aren’t over 1.25 at 300 yards !
If your cheap bipod is so great for prs please post a link to where you have won a prs match, or even finished in the top 10 considering that's what a ckye pod is designed for

If your cheap bipod is so great for prs please post a link to where you have won a prs match, or even finished in the top 10 considering that's what a ckye pod is designed for
I’ve never even shot in a PRS match , no interest ! But that doesn’t mean I don’t know a good bipod . PRS ? Is that where u run around like Rambo and shoot at man size targets ? Lol . Sorry , couldn’t help myself !

Last edited:
I’ve never even shot in a PRS match , no interest ! But that doesn’t mean I don’t know a good bipod . PRS ? Is that where u run around like Rambo and shoot at man size targets ? Lol . Sorry , couldn’t help myself !
What you've done is shown your inability to do anything but shoot groups from a bipod or prone on flat surfaces and shown how you don't know what a good bipod is for shooting anything that isn't on a flat surface. You have shown your ability to run your mouth about things you don't understand tho.

What you've done is shown your inability to do anything but shoot groups from a bipod or prone on flat surfaces and shown how you don't know what a good bipod is for shooting anything that isn't on a flat surface. You have shown your ability to run your mouth about things you don't understand tho.
OK ! Have a great day ! 😁

By the way , How do u guys check the accuracy of your rifles ? Don’t u shoot groups off of flat surfaces ? Just curious !

You nailed it. We shoot at man size targets.

1145C39A-A09A-4A56-B6B2-2E4327E56DFC.jpeg

Reactions: Mk32784
By the way , How do u guys check the accuracy of your rifles ? Don’t u shoot groups off of flat surfaces ? Just curious !
We sure do. Thsts a small skill among many. I sure don't use my ckye pod for it. I proffer my 5 cent pillow case filled with free sand but I don't go around saying other bipods designed for a completely different purpose. Do you also think 4x4s are shit because they are no good for racing formula 1?. Just curious

We sure do. Thsts a small skill among many. I sure don't use my ckye pod for it. I proffer my 5 cent pillow case filled with free sand but I don't go around saying other bipods designed for a completely different purpose. Do you also think 4x4s are shit because they are no good for racing formula 1?. Just curious
I’m just saying $500 is an awful lot for a tactical bipod . Now if you’re a professional making your living from it , then I guess u want the very best . Do these matches pay anything substantial ? Guys at my range have the NightForce 15-55 at about $2,500 bucks . Does it make them shoot any better than my 10-50 Sightron that was $900 . That’s a big fat nope !

What distances are u guys shooting ?

I’m just saying $500 is an awful lot for a tactical bipod . Now if you’re a professional making your living from it , then I guess u want the very best . Do these matches pay anything substantial ? Guys at my range have the NightForce 15-55 at about $2,500 bucks . Does it make them shoot any better than my 10-50 Sightron that was $900 . That’s a big fat nope !
Nobody is making a living from it yet. This may change in the future but that doesn't mean there isn't money involved. I've been shooting for 2 years. I'm running a full custom rifle that I won. I'm shooting a scope that I didn't pay for that I got through sponsorship. For the first 18 months I was actually ahead. If I didn't build a second full custom I would have have still won more than I had spent. A lot of matches probably have north of 50k worth of prizes up for grabs. Many have north of 100k. The ag cup last year payed 20k for the winner and I beleive snipers way next year is paying 500k. So if you are good there is money involved

Nobody is making a living from it yet. This may change in the future but that doesn't mean there isn't money involved. I've been shooting for 2 years. I'm running a full custom rifle that I won. I'm shooting a scope that I didn't pay for that I got through sponsorship. For the first 18 months I was actually ahead. If I didn't build a second full custom I would have have still won more than I had spent. A lot of matches probably have north of 50k worth of prizes up for grabs. Many have north of 100k. The ag cup last year payed 20k for the winner and I beleive snipers way next year is paying 500k. So if you are good there is money involved
What kind of distances are u shooting at these matches ?

1000-1200yards, 1moa to 1.5moa sized targets. Off of random shit, tires, rocks, tree trunks, port holes, etc.
And of course you’re timed right ? I would be a laughing stock . Almost 60 and have had cancer twice . Can’t even shoot prone . Sounds rigorous huh ! Bolt action or semi ?

And of course you’re timed right ? I would be a laughing stock . Almost 60 and have had cancer twice . Can’t even shoot prone . Sounds rigorous huh ! Bolt action or semi ?
Almost all bolt action. There is a gas gun class this year but so far nobody has been able to compete with bolt guns using a gas gun.

The smallest target I've seen was 1/3 moa on a 100 yard paper stage. Most are between 1 and 2.5 moa

The most challenging target I've ever had to shoot at a PRS match was a steel "ruler" (1"x 12" piece of bar stock) hanging from a chain at ~600 yards. Very few people hit it, unsurprisingly.