• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questionnaire for a possible new business...

tundramuscle03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2007
Baltimore County, MD
Hey guys, my wife is encouraging me to go after a idea/dream I had about starting my own business catering to firearms enthusiasts, military and LE. I though it would be a good idea to put a short questionnaire together to see what the overall consensus would be on the items/products to be offered...

If you guys could do the questionnaire for me I would really appreciate it...

I've posted the questions below, but I also have a writable PDF if anyone wants that and it can be emailed to me...

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate this
smile.gif

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"><span style="font-size: 11pt">If a new store was to open online or in the community and was offering items that are useful/needed by the military,law enforcement and shooting sports enthusiast community, what type of items would you like to see offered for sale?

Would you prefer to make your purchase from a big box chain store or a smaller independent dealer/vendor? Why?

What types of deals/offers would you like to see advertised or permanently applied?

Would you like to see a wide variety of products, including firearms parts or a selection of accessories?

Would the sale of firearms be acceptable? Why or why not?</span>

</span>

Re: Questionnaire for a possible new business...

If a new store was to open online or in the community and was offering items that are useful/needed by the military,law enforcement and shooting sports enthusiast community, what type of items would you like to see offered for sale? - <span style="font-style: italic"> The more items the better. I usually try to order multiple items at the same time to save on shipping costs. </span>

Would you prefer to make your purchase from a big box chain store or a smaller independent dealer/vendor? Why? - <span style="font-style: italic"> Customer service and price matters much more, but I would choose a small business if all other things are equal. </span>

What types of deals/offers would you like to see advertised or permanently applied? - <span style="font-style: italic"> Free shipping is great but I don't know if is worth it to a small business - it takes away my incentive to buy multiple items in one order.</span>

Would you like to see a wide variety of products, including firearms parts or a selection of accessories? - <span style="font-style: italic"> The more items the better. I usually try to order multiple items at the same time to save on shipping costs. </span>

Would the sale of firearms be acceptable? Why or why not? - <span style="font-style: italic"> Acceptable? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be. </span>

Additional advice to take or leave - talk to as many people beforehand as possible who have started their own retail business. It can be very difficult, both in the amount of profit earned and the amount time required.

dang man, the market for tactical equipment isn't too big and too highly competitive to jump in to? I aplaud your motivation to get into the one business that is so flooded it almost seems that making real profit would be tough at this time. I mean, take a look at just this website on how many small businesses are doing just that, then look at ARF.com, Sniper COunttry, et al and really see how many there are, then of course you have the big companies like US CAV et al who have locations on almost every Army base now through the AFEES program.

I know you might love this stuff, but I would ask you to do one big thing before jumping in:
Look at your local area, at this site, and see exactly what YOU can offeer that no one else is. Look to see if there is a single group of items that so far no one else is selling. Also check the viability of all the niche markets to insure you can succeed.
Go see a SCORE or other business advisor, do a proper business plan, and set business goals out five years. Then look really hard at what you want to do to see if it objectively will succeed

I like to see products IN STOCK for sale, and ready for shipment.

I don't do back order's. I'll find it some where else.

Back in the 1960's there was a mail order catalogue that catered to the soldiers in Vietnam. Can't remember the name, Ken Nolan maybe(?), I think. Every guy in 'Nam seemed to have access to a copy.

It included ingenious little time/energy saving things, like zipper replacement inserts for combat boot laces, C-Ration cookbooks, blousing garters, EGA Pocket Stencils, etc.

That sort of area is probably covered today to some degree, but that catalaogue, in that time period, was s solid hit.

Like restaurants, labor-of-love gun shops crash with regularity, avoid that path at all costs. Some will even tell you, with well meaning and some truth, that you couldn't possibly find a worse time to be launching a business.

I think it's better to seek a niche out on the periphery of that market. Do some things, small things, few things, really well. Recognize that unsold inventory is a liability, not an asset. Be a reseller, let your sources maintain the inventory, drop ship whenever possible. Big markups equal smaller sales and resulting revenue, and vice-versa.

When/if that succeeds, proceed from that strength.

Greg

I'll spin your questions with a few questions that you may want to consider

If a new store was to open online or in the community and was offering items that are useful/needed by the military,law enforcement and shooting sports enthusiast community, what type of items would you like to see offered for sale?

A: What are the demographics of your area?
Are you outside of a military base?
What other established stores are in your area and what do they carry? (In other words don't carry what your competition does.)
What kind of shooting sports are popular in your area?

Would you prefer to make your purchase from a big box chain store or a smaller independent dealer/vendor? Why?

A: I hunt the best prices w/o shipping (or hazmat). That failing if I need it I will pay for it to have it now.

What types of deals/offers would you like to see advertised or permanently applied?

A: A$$uming an FFL. Low cost transfer fees. A $10 transfer fee will get people into your store.

Would you like to see a wide variety of products, including firearms parts or a selection of accessories?

A: Your initial budget will determine that. See ?#1 to determine what is needed in your AO and capitalize on the holes.

Would the sale of firearms be acceptable? Why or why not?

A: Yes but the licensing fees may be prohibitive as well as inventory. In general to carry receivers, do transfers and sell / stock ammo you will need an 03 FFL as a minimum. Your state and local regulations will have a far larger impact on your ability to operate than just the feds. Store front? Zoning? Business license? Fed,State,Local taxes? Don't forget the excise tax on completed firearms. Legalities and liabilities (a gun shop just got sued (successfully) because the new gun did not come with instructions in the box and the idiot shot himself with it)

Other thoughts:

Internet presence. Everyone does "Google", word of mouth doesn't get it done anymore.

Credit Card Machine/agreement: Gotta have one.

Shipping: Better have that one ready to go.

Time/Money: They are inversely proportional. When you have enough of one you won't have enough of the other.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Doc

If a new store was to open online or in the community and was offering items that are useful/needed by the military,law enforcement and shooting sports enthusiast community, what type of items would you like to see offered for sale?

Kind of a broad question. Based on previous purchases, I've bought everything from guns, ammo, parts, tools, eye & ear pro, cases, mats, optics, mounts, reloading components, reloading tools, and cleaning supplies from online vendors. I'll probably buy more of the same in the future.

The big box brick and mortar stores are generally terrible in terms of prices and customer service, but then, so are the independent retailers around here. I prefer to purchase from places with reasonable prices (not necessarily the "best" prices), excellent customer service, good return policy. I also favor companies that support the NRA, websites I frequent, and various shooting sports. Lousy websites are a huge turn off.

Deals and offers are not necessary if you have good prices all the time. Don't rape me on shipping. Flat-rate shipping is nice. Have a shipping calculator. I may not order from Graf's again because they smacked me with $50 shipping on an order that could have fit in two flat rate boxes.

I don't need 87 different types of ear plugs offered, or 15 different brands of AR mags. Same goes for Aimpoints - M2, ML2, M3, ML3, C3, M4, M4S, PRO - don't stock so many products with so much overlap. Ever go to buy scope rings on Midway? Too many choices. Two dozen types of copper solvent is too much. Don't carry junk.

Would the sale of firearms be acceptable? Why or why not?

It wouldn't hurt me as a consumer. The bookkeeping and inventory costs may not be so good for you.

Why should I buy from you and not the 87 other vendors out there? Find a niche and capitalize on it. That's how Primary Arms grew. PA also supported and was active on a bunch of popular websites.

Make your site a destination. Offer a companion niche forum (e.g., OpticsTalk.com). Provide how-to videos and articles peppered with links back to your store.

Find out who the quality posters are on various forums. These are often moderators and people with high post counts (but not always!). Find out who can write good reviews and get a demo product in their hands. Have them review it and sing your praises for getting it to them.

Get your website set up so that it's easy for customers to make their own bundles. For example, for a given scope, allow them to add a mount, rings, lens covers, and scope coats. Have it all on the same page so it's easy, ala Amazon.com.

Post a phone number and return calls. Answer the phone as much as possible. If you don't, your competitors will. Making a customer send an e-mail gives the customer time to re-think the purchase and/or find someplace else to buy it.

If a customer asks for a product you don't carry, see if you can get it for them as a special order. Brownell's carried some Samson products and wouldn't order an Evolution handguard for me. They lost out on the handguard sale and a bunch of related parts to Rainier Arms. In the process, Rainier became one of my favorite vendors and I check them before I check Brownells when I want new stuff.

Do not neglect your bookkeeping and tax/regulatory filings. The taxman is not a headache you want.

Good luck.
smile.gif