• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions about 300 AAC/Blackout

lightman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2009
England, ar
Looking for info on loading for this cartridge. Will a 2 die FL set do everything you need. Do you need a form/trim die for forming cases. Anyone forming cases from 221 or 223, please tell about your procedure.

Just looked at a Remington 700 in this caliber, on the used rack. It was begging "TAKE ME HOME", and I'm thinking about it. Just what I need! Another rifle to buy a trigger, firing pin, scope, mounts, dies, and brass for! Thanks, Lightman

load info on the Hodgdon site Hodgdon - The Gun Powder People I just necked up 221 brass. got a small bulge in the neck so I will end up doing a little neck turning. lots of guys cut down 223 and form it. check out the for sale section, formed brass there from time to time. google 300 blackout brass and you will get some hits also

2 die set plus a lee crimp if you want. I run forster ultra but I'm forming on a separate setup but lots of guys form in regular dies.

I use either the Hornady full length 2 die set or the RCBS fl 2 die set. Both work well. You don't need any forming dies as the 300 BLK sizing die sizes and forms in one step. Most use .223 cases and cut off the necks before sizing. Lot's of people use the cheap Harbor Freight mini chop saw to cut the .223 cases. Maximum overall case length at 1.368' and when you size and form the .223 case they grow in length about .007-.008". Some .223 especially foreign may have too thick neck walls. The diameter of a neck with a seated bullet should be .334" or less. LC brass are great for forming 300 Blackout. I recommend a case headspace gauge for adjusting your sizing die to make brass fit your chamber correctly. Fun cartridge to load and shoot.

also, Redding has the 3-Die deluxe set . #84432 - 300-221 Rem.
has / FL sizing / Seating / Neck size / & 2 different size of Neck expander balls .
edit to add:
check if they are still stocking this on a different stock#, because I think it is but just re branded 300-221 rem. Die's. as the 'new' 300 BLK .

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm thinking hard about this rifle! I use a trim die when forming 357 Herrett cases and I'm a little surprised that I'm not seeing anyone making one for the AAC. A trim die and a hacksaw is a quick way to shorten cases. Thanks again, Lightman

A) this cal is essentially a waste unless you are shooting suppressed
B) 2 die set for loading works great
C) pre trimmed brass comes up so regularly you can buy cheap enough that it isnt worth doing your own unless you already have all the equip. To do so

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yeah, a suppressor will be in the future! A friend is licensed to manufacture and sell them. After Christmas, I'll be going to see the Police Chief for a signature and fingerprinting. I'll probably just buy a few hundred new cases, or Gulp, some factory ammo and forget case forming. I did find out that Redding makes a trim die, but you can buy several cases for the cost. Thanks, Lightman