• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions about a 22 conversion kit for AR

Drew_1312

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2009
Rochester, Indiana
Just got my AR put together and set up the way I wanted!

I was thinking of getting a .22 LR conversoin kit for it. Ammo is cheaper and I would be shooting with the same gun, sounds great. I have three questions or concerns with this and was hoping to get some input or help.

1. What's your overall opinion of a conversion kit for the AR. Is it a good idea. Will it effect the accuracy of the gun, or will it do any damage to the gun.

2. What's a good conversion kit to use.

3. What is the best ammo to use for accuracy that won't break the bank!

Any help from you guys would be appreciated.
Thanks...ANDY

Re: Questions about a 22 conversion kit for AR

1, It won't affect the accuracy and it won't do any damage

2. Spike's, CMMG< Ceiner. They are all basically the same

3. Accuracy is going to suck, so it won't matter. Twist rate is much too fast in an AR barrel unless you have a 1/12 barrel laying around.

Better than a conversion kit is to spring for a dedicated 22 upper. Much better accuracy if that matters to you.

They are a hoot to play around with, if you want any accuracy go with a dedicated upper. I picked up the Spikes Tactical kit, its a good piece of hardware. With the finish thats on it, its a breeze to clean, that and it came with the blackdog hi cap mag. Just remember to only shoot jacketed .22 rounds. These kits tend not to like the lead .22 rds.

Drew,

Some of this has already been stated but bear with me as it helps me put everything else in context.

1. They are an inexpensive way to shoot the same gun you are running for real with the same controls and feel. I run a conversion kit in my 10.5" M4 and also with my 14.5" perimeter upper. I do not lose out on any weight, ergonomics, or change in trigger pull, just absolute accuracy. All this without the cost of setting up a dedicated upper and having to change over my fore ends, light, sighting system, and investing in an additional flash hider for my can.

2. As has already been stated the CMMG or Ceiner are basically the same animal. I got my CMMG through Brownells and it comes with the preferred Mad Dog magazine. (the quality of construction of the CMMG was in question when I first got it as the welds on it have a surface crack and bug holes, but it has yet to fail with well over 3000 rounds through it) The Mad Dog magazine is key, to reliable operation and consistency in feel. The Mad Dog has the same profile as a standard 30 round AR mag. I did add a piece of high density foam to the bottom of the mag to help protect it when I let it drop free. Buy extra mags they are relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things and should be considered the cost of doing business, like buying ammo.

3. Ammo? As has already been stated the accuracy with a 1/7 or 1/9 twist 5.56 barrel is not going to yield pin point accuracy. So with that being said I would run the copper plated stuff 40 grain or higher. I stay away from the lead bullets as they get a little shaved in the chamber and running down the pipe. Accuracy should be judged in this case by whether you are still able to accomplish effective training or not. Will you still be able to run gun drills out to 50 yards and even 100 yards...yes. Within 25 yards it should be no problem to keep your rounds within the "A" zone.

The dedicated upper is an excellent option but one that I am not wanting to invest in right now. A dedicated upper like what Spikes offers is certainly the cats meow and you will not be disappointed in its performance. Decide on what works for you, function of training or pin point accuracy?

What sucks is the availability of .22 ammo right now. Good luck hope this helps and let us know what you end up with and how it works out.

Take care,

Danel

I've got the Ceiner with a dedicated upper I built years ago. They are one of the best ways out there to get in more trigger time and if you have an M16 they are great for plinking and blasting at an affordable rate.

Greg L.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I really appreciate it.

I will most likely go with the Ceiner or Spikes kit. Can afford to get the dedicated upper, and don't think I want to go that route. I like the idea of using the same gun, that way I don't have to buy two of everything. I didn't realize that about the lead bullets, really appreciate that piece of advice.

Thanks again...ANDY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlabamaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are a hoot to play around with, if you want any accuracy go with a dedicated upper. I picked up the Spikes Tactical kit, its a good piece of hardware. With the finish thats on it, its a breeze to clean, that and it came with the blackdog hi cap mag. Just remember to only shoot jacketed .22 rounds. These kits tend not to like the lead .22 rds. </div></div>

There's no such thing as jacketed .22 rounds.

I have a Tactical solutions upper and I like it alot it is quality.

I also am a fan of the Nordic Components AR-22 kit which you can convert a ruger 10/22 into a AR clone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlabamaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are a hoot to play around with, if you want any accuracy go with a dedicated upper. I picked up the Spikes Tactical kit, its a good piece of hardware. With the finish thats on it, its a breeze to clean, that and it came with the blackdog hi cap mag. Just remember to only shoot jacketed .22 rounds. These kits tend not to like the lead .22 rds. </div></div>

There's no such thing as jacketed .22 rounds. </div></div>
FAIL!

I tried the conversion kits and no luck. I spent the extra cash and picked up a tactical solutions upper and placed it on match setup lower and it has yet to fail me. 5,000 rounds without a single problem! Love it!

I have a CMMG and a Spikes Dedicated. Both of them required tuning to get them to function properly, but both work well. The problem I have with the conversion kit is that it holds a different zero on my optics than the 223 so I have to constantly change my sights when I switch back and forth. That is why I bought the dedicated upper. Both of my kits function well with all ammo that I have tried except the Remington. The gold nose stuff is oversized and doesn't feed well, and the Viper stuff doesn't ignite reliably (same thing in my bolt gun). The dedicated really likes the CCI Stingers. Black dog mags are a requirement.

My Spikes upper likes Federal lead 40 grain, Remington subsonic, Federal Bulk 36 grain copper, as well as CCI mini mag. Accuracy is great and I highly recommend a dedicated upper.

Once you buy one, you will need A LOT of 22 ammo.

Ordered my Spike's conversion kit today. Thanks for all the input and help, especially platypus!

Since .223 ammo is so expensive and hard to come by, we're getting the conversion kits for our Spec Ops Team as well.

Thanks again...ANDY

Andy,

You are more than welcome. Let us know how they workout. Also what ammo they like. I am going to try and get out tomorrow and do a walk back drill with my conversion kit installed and running my 50 yard 5.56 zero from 3 yards, 7 yards, 10 yards, 15 yards, 25 yards, 50 yards, 75 yards and 100 yards and record the information to post here as a performance comparison to the 5.56 data. If time permits I will try to get in some groups at different ranges with the conversion kit installed and with and without my AAC M4-2000 can on the gun.

Take care and be safe out there,

Danel

I have a Spikes Tacitcal, on a Colt M4 with a 16", 1 in 7" bbl. I shoot Aguila 60 gr. SSP (subsonic ammo). I had to put the stiff srping in (supplied by Spikes with the kit), due to the short bbl. The rifle shoots 1/2" at 50 yards, and is great fun.

I like the Spikes because it is nickel plated, and the company gives great service. Easy to clean, no damage to the rifle.

I have a Spikes Tacitcal, on a Colt M4 with a 16", 1 in 7" bbl. I shoot Aguila 60 gr. SSP (subsonic ammo). I had to put the stiff spring in (supplied by Spikes with the kit), due to the short bbl. The rifle shoots 1/2" at 50 yards, and is great fun.

I like the Spikes because it is nickel plated, and the company gives great service. Easy to clean, no damage to the rifle.

By the Spikes conversion. Dont give a Damn dime to that piece of shit Ciener.