• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Questions about barrel shortening

Scatt_Nasty

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Huachuca, AZ
I am thinking of having my Savage barrel chopped to 20 or 18 inches from 24 and I have a couple questions...

This is something you would want done by a gunsmith for sure right ? I found some T handle device used for recrowning but it looked sketchy.

Also approx how much does it cost for the entire process ?

While it is at the smith, would it be cheaper to have the barrel threaded with a brake all in the same job ?

Re: Questions about barrel shortening

Yup, take it to a smith, when he pulls the barrel off to cut it, he can thread it all at once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, take it to a smith, when he pulls the barrel off to cut it, he can thread it all at once. </div></div>

Awesome. Any idea what a chop and a thread will run on average ?

Have the smith do it. Doing it all at once should be cheaper as it can all be done in one setup. would expect it to run you about 60-90 pluss the cost of the brake and metal finish on the brake if required.

Shouldn't be no more than $100 for sure for a basic cut and crown, threading might run you a bit more though.