• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions about brass (warning stupid question)

Cranedaddy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2013
Okay, I think I know the answer to my question but I'm going to ask anyways. Are these brass cases worth trying to fix or is it even possible to fix them right? These are Hornady match cases fired out of a semi auto. Every single one of these cases in the picture have horrible ejector swype with some brass shaved pointing up.

20140407_203615_zps1dbfc8a5.jpg

20140407_203550_zpsdec8f550.jpg

Another question: The small dent in this case, will I be able to size this case to normal or should it be trashed due to inconsistent case volume now? The dent is not very deep, it's pretty much just enough to notice. This is still a Hornady match case.

20140407_203708_zps56852538.jpg

Thanks for your time. :D

Yes, you can use the brass. The biggest problem you may encounter is the possibility of the primer pockets being stretched out and not being useable. Some factory ammunition is too hot for gas guns and the brass gets beat badly. I've had to trash a lot of Federal once fired GMM when shot out of my SR-25, the primer pockets were toasted on the first firing.

I would case prep some of them and see how the primer pockets are.

The dent's aren't going to hurt anything, they'll blow right out next firing. The ejector swipe is kind of a pain but I'd imagine you could clean them up with a swipe of a file or some sandpaper, a bit of work but usable I'm sure. It looks like hole the ejector rides in might have a sharp edge to it, you might take it apart and see if you can clean up some flashing or have a gunsmith look at it to see if he can get it to stop doing that to your cases.

I wouldn't have any problem reusing those cases, but the shavings need to come off the case head and that'll be a bit of work.

I find Federal brass to have about the same capacity as Lake City so I think its easy to over load them which also causes loose primer pockets .Load them about 2 grains lighter than the book and maybe they will last longer .

Check those primer pockets. If they are loose, they likely won't fare well after the next firing. Hornady brass is weak.

If primer pocket is still tight, file the brass spur off and resize away, that small dent is not a problem at all.

Your primers aren't flattening. I don't think that's ejector wipe. My gas gun does it too, but not as bad. The timing might be a bit fast and the case is extracted while still hot and soft so the ejector is digging at the soft case.

Proper ejector wipe is very bright, circular, and pronounced. Were you near or over max load? The dents are from the case either whacking the lip of the ejection port or the brass deflector. The gun sounds over gassed.

Do you have an adjustable gas block? What caliber is this?

Your primers aren't flattening. I don't think that's ejector wipe. My gas gun does it too, but not as bad. The timing might be a bit fast and the case is extracted while still hot and soft so the ejector is digging at the soft case.

Proper ejector wipe is very bright, circular, and pronounced. Were you near or over max load? The dents are from the case either whacking the lip of the ejection port or the brass deflector. The gun sounds over gassed.

Do you have an adjustable gas block? What caliber is this?

This is just standard .308 Hornady 168 gr BTHP match ammo. The gun is the new DPMS GII SASS so there is no adjustable gas block. I have seen something that should help this and I forget what it is called but it was basically a weight that slides in the end of the bolt carrier to give it a little more mass and slow down the bolt from trying to release to soon.

The Tubbs CWS (carrier weight system) does help. I use it in my GAP 10 and SR-25. Gas guns just will not take the loads that a Bolt gun can.

The majority of AR gas systems are over gassed to ensure function with all types of ammunition. Gas port pressure has a great deal to do with case head swipes, a faster burning powder would lower the port pressure. You can sand or file the raised brass from the base of the case, just make sure the base is level.

Case-Head Swipe | Shooting Illustrated

The dents are nothing to worry about. Like was stated above, they'll blow out fine. A very fine flat file or I prefer a piece of window glass with 320 grit wet or dry taped to it, will get rid of the brass burr just fine.

Good luck.

This is just standard .308 Hornady 168 gr BTHP match ammo. The gun is the new DPMS GII SASS so there is no adjustable gas block. I have seen something that should help this and I forget what it is called but it was basically a weight that slides in the end of the bolt carrier to give it a little more mass and slow down the bolt from trying to release to soon.

Its a carrier weight like mentioned above. I have an adjustable block and my rifle is still a bit over gassed and knicks my brass a bit. I'm thinking about trying a lighter spring so the light weight carrier can cycle the gun with even less gas but as it is the thing is within' a few threads of closed. Some guns, especially gas guns, are just hard on brass.

I had the exact same shaving on fired brass from my AR-10 in .260 Remington with the suppressor attached. The shaving went away (and the rifle functioned correctly) when I installed a heavy buffer. I'm still going to install an adjustable gas block and, I hope, go back to the lighter buffer.

Cheers,
Richard