• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions about first Bartlein Barrel

ModestMarksman

10 MOA shooter with a 1/2 MOA gun
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2023
New Braunfels
Getting ready to order a barrel from Craddock Precision and just wanted to see if there is any options you would change if your goal was a first round capable 600 yard AR15. Still debating between an RC2 and OCM5 and Im mainly going to be shooting match ammo. Anything worth changing or should I send it as is? Also is the MODBB worth an extra $250

image.png

I have a bartlein 1:7.7 finished at 18 inches. My barrel started life as a heavy service contour. I’m confident in hitting at 600 with it. First round hit depends on you and how well you know your rifle. Barrel isn’t gonna change that fact.

Ditch the 1/2-28 muzzle threads and go 5/8-24

How big is the 600y target? I mean, marines are making first round hits at 500y with clapped out m4s.

torso sized steel for the most part. Mainly just want a Bartlein barrel because it’s a Bartlein barrel. Just double checking that a different configuration wouldn’t be better.

i ordered almost the same barrel 5 weeks ago from Craddock Precision,
.223 Wylde Bartlein Barrel
Twist: 7T, 400MODBB: No, Gas Block Diameter: .750" / Lightweight, Barrel Length: 18" Mk12 Mod 0 (Rifle Gas, .750" Gas Block Dia), Thread Size: 1/2x28, Thread Protector: No, Fluting: None, Accessories: None, Headspaced Bolt: None, Finish: Cerakote Magpul™ O.D. Green H-232 (+$65), Built Upper Options: None, I Acknowledge: Yes

hope to get in before spring

Reactions: Jsp556 and simonp
I agree with the 5/8x24 muzzle threading. I’d ask what size the gas port was on a mid length. No need in getting a huge gas port if you don’t have to. If it’s going to be shot suppressed all the time, I’d let them know. It’s a custom barrel, they shouldn’t mind sizing the port to whatever size you want.

ETA: If they offer a CLE chamber, I’d rather have that.

Reactions: 346ci and simonp
Not an asshole, just wondering. If you build a quality rifle with quality parts, it should shoot. First round, second round, third round. Doesn’t really matter. A lot of people ask questions like this, and it’s just hard to tell where they came up with that, cause I promise, if it’s NOT first round capable, it simply is NOT capable. I’m rebuilding an upper, because it’s not capable. Pisses you off when you do a quality build, with random fliers. Doesn’t matter what shot. I also don’t want to hear about cold bore shots on a torso target at 600. A bad cold bore shot should be no more than an inch out at 100, which would roughly be 6” at 600. A torso target is 18” wide or so. Come on people, bear down and get it done.

1/2-28 is for .22lr and 9mm. All my centerfire cans are 5/8-24.

The main reason I was going to go 1/2x28 was because I’m going to run either an RC2 or OCM5 and both have compatible 1/2x28 muzzle devices.

is there a 5/8x24 muzzle device that works with an RC2?

Reasons off the top of my head.
Opens up options for muzzle devices, TOMB, and direct thread suppressors. 1/2x28 can be more difficult to find. You likely have 5/8x24 stuff laying around. Might be other reasons
Less material removed from the muzzle end during machining. Some say it makes a difference, some say it doesn’t.

The main reason I was going to go 1/2x28 was because I’m going to run either an RC2 or OCM5 and both have compatible 1/2x28 muzzle devices.

is there a 5/8x24 muzzle device that works with an RC2?
No idea, SF would be at the bottom of my list for cans. If it’s your first, a 7” .30cal can like an Ultra 7 would be more versatile.

Don’t waste $250. No need
Rifle gas
5/8x24 preferably but likely not that big of a deal

No idea, SF would be at the bottom of my list for cans. If it’s your first, a 7” .30cal can like an Ultra 7 would be more versatile.

I’ve got a few cans already including the RC2 and OCM5. The main thought behind the RC2 is that it’s QD and a bit shorter than the OCM5.

I may have to check into some other cans though.

if you're considering using your OCM5, then you might have the barrel profiled a la MK12, get the collar and brake. Only you can decide the direction thats best for you.