• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Questions about new build

BC 6.8

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 31, 2013
SC
I'm building a .308 that will primarily be used for target shooting and mid-range F-TR competitions. I just picked up a trued left hand Rem 700 action and am trying to decide on a barrel, stock, and trigger. I'm thinking a 28" barrel in 1:11" or 1:11.25" twist with a medium palm contour. I can't decide on a barrel brand or rifling type (3 groove, 4 groove, or 5 R style). Also, I need help deciding on a stock <$800 for a left hand action. I will be using a Harris 6-9", notched leg, swivel bipod when shooting and a Protector rabbit ear rear bag. I need a stock that will allow for some elevation adjustment when pushed forward in the bag and that will also ride the bag well. I've looked at the McMillan A5, A4, and A2 with adjustable cheek piece and adjustable butt plate. What would your guys recommend?

Thanks,
BC

I would recommend a 30" heavy palma barrel, even for midrange and look at stocks from Precision Rifle and Tool. You may have to put the finish on yourself to stay in your price range. Your choice of 1/11 will work great for 155's through the 200's, but you may want to pick a bullet before you get it chambered. I don't think brand of barrel matters as long as you stay within the top tier.

I have several PR&T stocks and they are fantastic for F-Class......but very expensive when completely built out. Another fantastic stock option that is half the cost is a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Fully Adjustable: Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 5 Fully Adjustable - Remington 700 BDL (SPS, XCR, VTR) , Weatherby Mk V, Savage 10/12 - #2094, 2098, 6629, 2097 Functionally, this has performed just as well as my PR&T stocks. It's almost ideal for F-TR and only costs $450...a steal. I would also recommend a heavy palma 30" barrel.

Thanks for the stock recommendations. I need to contact B&C to see if they will make one for a left hand action. Everyone seems to be recommending the 30" heavy palma barrels, so I will go that route. What rifling pattern do you guys use? It seems like everyone is going with 5R type rifling lately, but if there is another style that will get better accuracy I'll take the accuracy.

I have several PR&T stocks and they are fantastic for F-Class......but very expensive when completely built out. Another fantastic stock option that is half the cost is a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Fully Adjustable: Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 5 Fully Adjustable - Remington 700 BDL (SPS, XCR, VTR) , Weatherby Mk V, Savage 10/12 - #2094, 2098, 6629, 2097 Functionally, this has performed just as well as my PR&T stocks. It's almost ideal for F-TR and only costs $450...a steal. I would also recommend a heavy palma 30" barrel.

Rifling type really does not matter. I've used Broughton 5R, and Kreiger standard and 5R rifling and a few others. They all shoot great with minimal fouling. What DOES matter is getting a hand-lapped barrel: huge difference in the amount of fouling from a non-lapped and lapped barrel. A 1:11 twist rate is what I'd recommend for 308 up to 210 grain bullets