• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions about new build.

rifleman0321

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
midwest/USA
Guys, I am considering a new rifle. Looking at a .300WM for a 1200yd. gun, using an FN-built Model 70 action, a McMillan A5, and a Rock barrel.

Is Rock Creek the best choice for this application, or can I do better?

Are there better(smaller) calibers for the 1200yd. game?

Any reason why not to use a Model 70 Classic action, other than the current lack of good aftermarket triggers? I am hoping to see Timney or Jewell come out with one soon.

Who is the best for bottom metal, and should I worry about a detachable mag system? I don't usually care for a box hanging out of my boltguns, but realize it could be a good thing in certain competitions? School me.

Probably looking at mostly 210 or 240gr. bullets, with occasional 150 BT's and 178gr. Amax's(I have a slug of both already). Best twist rate?

I want to do this right, looking for input from those more experienced. Thanks for your input.