• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions about Pre-Fits and Interest

mrobles3808

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2013
Nebraska
Hey Guys,

I'm running a small shop here in Nebraska and have kicked out some admirable barrels for the locals and a few out of state guys. But, to this point, it's all been action in hand for fit and function test.

I'm checking the pulse here to get your opinion before I take the plunge on some decisions -- as i feel it's important to hear multiple viewpoints from those who purchase in this community.

I have a few barrels on order that I'm going to spin up for pre-fits. Likely 6GT, 6 Creedmoor, etc.... so hear me out;

Would you (as a customer) want a prefit that has never been shot, with the expectation that you got a perfect barrel, OR , would you find value in the smith spinning the barrel on the appropriate action for the prefit and function testing, guaranteeing a test target showing the performance? Would you still consider a barrel that has 3-6 rounds down it new as a pre fit?

The reason I'm asking is -- no matter how tight you get those dials, how perfect your chamber is, how square you cut your crown etc... The proof of your work AND a perfect barrel shows on target with match ammo. Thoughts?

Thank you for your time,

Mark

I personally am more interested in the pre-fit barrels, assuming proper tolerances are held. I don’t care if it has or has not been test fired.

Unless I know the smith and have a great working relationship then the process of grouping and providing load details doesn’t add any value to me as I’m going to work up my own loads. A basic warranty in case the barrel came screwed up is all I’m looking for.

Pre-fits and switch barrels are popular for a reason. Saves shipping guns to the shop and enables you to stock barrels. As for being test fired... Doesn't sell me one way or another, again I care if the smith will stand behind their work.

With the right reputation a test target isn’t needed, and therefore if I were buying a prefit I wouldn’t pay a dollar extra if it came with one.

If it wasn’t any extra $, don’t guess it would bother me much; but then again the market might wonder why you need to when other established sources don’t and manage to get excellent products out the door.

Perhaps a good approach would be to offer an introductory discount on barrels with caveat that you test fire them before they leave the shop. With excellent box ammo like Prime. Then you get a large sample set to substantiate your accuracy claims, and get the great community here alive with positive buzz. I’d say becoming a sponsor of the site would certainly be a positive return on your investment. That is, if the barrels shoot. Haha!

Last edited:
I have bought barrels on the cheap and expensive sides of the spectrum.

Nothing sucks more than a barrel that won't shoot. I'm willing to pay a premium if it gets me a nice concentric cut chamber on a quality barrel that WILL shoot.

Prefits are nice because I don't like shipping my action, breaking down the gun, not being able to shoot etc. Much easier to queue up a new barrel before it's actually needed then just screw it on and keep shooting.

No downtime = ?

I have bought barrels on the cheap and expensive sides of the spectrum.

Nothing sucks more than a barrel that won't shoot. I'm willing to pay a premium if it gets me a nice concentric cut chamber on a quality barrel that WILL shoot.

Prefits are nice because I don't like shipping my action, breaking down the gun, not being able to shoot etc. Much easier to queue up a new barrel before it's actually needed then just screw it on and keep shooting.

No downtime = ?

LawnMM

Have you had an experience, or more than one experience where you paid for a premium chambered barrel, and couldn't get it to shoot?

So far my premium paid barrels, prefit or shouldered, have all shot very well and consistently.

I've had a few mid grade barrels that didn't fair as well. A lot of the appeal of prefits is price.

If the Smith' doesn't have to measure thread pitch of the receiver, and do a one off custom fit barrel for headspace, that frees up Smith' time and consumer expense.

$800-900 is the going rate for a cut/fit premium barrel these days. If you can cut them based on a Bighorn or Impact action print, and get that price down/under $700 I think you'll see some interest.

If you can offer options that further reduce cost, like button vs cut rifles blanks people can get training barrels cut cheaper when it's a barrel they're going to beat the snot out of but don't necessarily need pinpoint accuracy from.

My take, FWIW.

Reactions: mrobles3808