• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions about SCAR 20s

nikdanja

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
Warrenton Virginia
I’ve always wanted a FDE SCAR and I think I might be able to swing the purchase for Christmas 2024.

A few questions first.

I’m leaning towards 6.5 creedmore for more BC and want the 20” barrel. I reload and will be making my own ammo so what kind of accuracy can I expect?

Also, I would like to suppress the gun. I was talking to a guy at the range and he had the exact same set up I want. We both have a dead air sandman S and he was having issues with getting the gun to function correctly. Is this just the way the gun was designed?

What is everyone’s overall thoughts on their SCAR rifles?

First, if you want a 20 inch you want the 20s or whatever they are calling it now.

6.5 is ok. Make sure you get a small firing pin model.

Get the Scarburetor gas plug to be able to better adjust the gas.

Don't tell FN you ran it suppressed if you ever need warranty support.

They are incredibly reliable rifles and very accurate.

.5 to .75 moa is common with a good shooter.

First, if you want a 20 inch you want the 20s or whatever they are calling it now.

Why wouldn’t FN warrantee a suppressed SCAR?

^This

Reactions: Jsp556
I have a 20S in 6.5 and it has been perfectly reliable and shoots better than I can (sub MOA.) I have never had any issue that some people were getting with blown primers a while back and I only shoot it suppressed with a low back pressure can. I am toying with the idea of a 16" .308 barrel as well, that with a folding stock and it is what the SCAR Heavy should have been.

IMG_6871.jpeg

Had a 20S. Was reliable, shot decent. Traded it for duel tubes. New owner was getting solid sub MOA groups with 168gr SMK. My gap10 does everything better.

You are on the right track.

I was reliably nailing 2-inch steel on the “KYL” range at Coleman’s Creek last year and easily hitting 12” at 1Km without breaking a sweat (OK, it was August and I was sweating my ass off).

My 20S 6.5CM, ZCO 420, TBAC Ultra 9, Wilcox MRE-Xe LRF. $20K used to get you more just a few years ago. 🤷🏼‍♂️

IMG_5190.jpeg

Gun is factory standard. Zero malfs… ever. Eats everything I put through it — cheap SB FMJ, ELD, Reman, you name it. ~1200-1400 rounds without a single hiccup. Nada.

DATA POINT: Mine has the RCH.

I was reliably nailing 2-inch steel on the “KYL” range at Coleman’s Creek last year and easily hitting 12” at 1Km without breaking a sweat (OK, it was August and I was sweating my ass off).

My 20S 6.5CM, ZCO 420, TBAC Ultra 9, Wilcox MRE-Xe LRF. $20K used to get you more just a few years ago. 🤷🏼‍♂️

View attachment 8362751

Gun is factory standard. Zero malfs… ever. Eats everything I put through it — cheap SB FMJ, ELD, Reman, you name it. ~1200-1400 rounds without a single hiccup. Nada.

Dude that’s a sick set up.

Reactions: TheHorta
I have a 20S in 6.5 and it has been perfectly reliable and shoots better than I can (sub MOA.) I have never had any issue that some people were getting with blown primers a while back and I only shoot it suppressed with a low back pressure can. I am toying with the idea of a 16" .308 barrel as well, that with a folding stock and it is what the SCAR Heavy should have been.

View attachment 8362420

ZCO - Check
HUX - Check
DBAL - Check
Surefire - Check
Rattle can the ever-lovin’ shit outta that filthy whore — Check
Kubota 4WD w/ Loader - Check

1709426546305.jpeg

Technically I picked out and bought the tractor for my wife.

Cheap, flat spray paint is my favorite accessory for high end gear. Lol.

I'm already eyeballing my KMW-OPS 51 with malicious, artistic intent.

• Love

How do you know if it’s the small firing pin model?

View attachment 8362751

how do u like the ZCO420 on the 20S? its on my short list.

I think it suits the SCAR 20S very well. Particularly with the MPCT3 or 3X reticle. Fast, highly usable mag range. 20 rounds on tap for repeated engagement. Whole setup costs more than my Truck but more fun to drive too!
thoughts on the MPCT2X reticle?? im kinda leaning that way.

thoughts on the MPCT2X reticle?? im kinda leaning that way.
Haven't used it yet but it will be my next reticle in a ZCO 527 for my 6.5CM (bolt gun) For shooting out to a mile or further it seems like the best choice, plenty of space to spot misses, very usable tree. Should be perfectly capable on a SCAR as well in a 420. I just prefer the 3X/420 combo on my SCAR the circles on the tree are as precise as I need it to be. And if you want the fatal funnel of the IMPCT3, the DMR Semi Auto precision role is about the perfect place for it. I use the MPCT 1 on my .308 because it will force me to continue to practice the art of reading and dialing wind, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: CageFighter
Why wouldn’t FN warrantee a suppressed SCAR?
Because FN is fucking worthless and the guns are gassed to kill themselves. They’ll chew up the carrier rails from tilt if you don’t address the gas. Right behind the piston, I have pics of my 17S from way back when.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Because FN is fucking worthless and the guns are gassed to kill themselves. They’ll chew up the carrier rails from tilt if you don’t address the gas. Right behind the piston, I have pics of my 17S from way back when.
This was my dream gun and it sucks that I finally able to swing it and the reviews are more negative than positive

If you want one buy it, if you don't like it sell it, it's just a thing.

Nobody answered about how heavy their setups are so I'm guessing they weigh...a lot lol.
I'll get you a weight, just been busy and hadn't dragged it out to check yet. All depends on how much stuff you strap to it.

No gun is perfect and they all have detractors. Get what you want and shoot it. SCARS have been around for a long time and there’s usually an aftermarket solution to any shortcomings. If you can get replacement parts and can maintain it, why not?

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
If you're looking for a range weapon, or something you won't pack around much, the 20S would be the best fit.

The new SCAR DMR has a lot of reported accuracy issues. Those may resolve themselves overtime. FN also states this rifle is "limited production".

I've found my standard SCAR 17S chambered in .308 win is lighter, and more accurate, than it should be. It's been on a lot of hunting trips. Trigger is "lawyer" safe. Plan on dropping $300 on a new trigger for any serious shooting (the 20S comes standard with the Geissele trigger as does the DMR)

The bolt carrier groups in this series of rifles is heavy so you end up with excessive BCG speed, tilt, and the BCG will eventually wear the rear bolts down and they will start to sheer and angle in the upper receiver. A low back pressure suppressor, like those offered by OSS/HUXWRX help eliminate this. You can also very easily swap the gas jets in the rifles to tame the gas pressure. These are offered by Parker Mountain Machine, and possibly others, to get you dialed in. I'm running an original reciprocating charging handle Belgium SCAR 16S with a lot of rounds on it, properly gassed, and love it.

You can get a 20" barrel, .308 win, through a few dealers: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/98818

Reactions: Texascbr
If you're looking for a range weapon, or something you won't pack around much, the 20S would be the best fit.

The new SCAR DMR has a lot of reported accuracy issues. Those may resolve themselves overtime. FN also states this rifle is "limited production".

I've found my standard SCAR 17S chambered in .308 win is lighter, and more accurate, than it should be. It's been on a lot of hunting trips. Trigger is "lawyer" safe. Plan on dropping $300 on a new trigger for any serious shooting (the 20S comes standard with the Geissele trigger as does the DMR)

The bolt carrier groups in this series of rifles is heavy so you end up with excessive BCG speed, tilt, and the BCG will eventually wear the rear bolts down and they will start to sheer and angle in the upper receiver. A low back pressure suppressor, like those offered by OSS/HUXWRX help eliminate this. You can also very easily swap the gas jets in the rifles to tame the gas pressure. These are offered by Parker Mountain Machine, and possibly others, to get you dialed in. I'm running an original reciprocating charging handle Belgium SCAR 16S with a lot of rounds on it, properly gassed, and love it.

You can get a 20" barrel, .308 win, through a few dealers: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/98818
This is all true. I’m not trying to shit too hard on the SCAR; the issues are fixable, FN just hasn’t chosen to address them so there’s an aftermarket for it.

Tuning via gas jet or gas block, suppressor choice, etc. though at the end of the day you are buying FN and they as a company are worthless to the consumer/commercial market IMO.

Nobody answered about how heavy their setups are so I'm guessing they weigh...a lot lol.

A MK20 with Surefire suppressor and NF 3-15 is exactly 16 lbs.

Keep in mind this is the huge OG socom surefire can. It is heavy.

Reactions: BCP

You very accurately describe what I want to do with this rifle.

Thank you for your post

SCAR 20S, 6.5 CM with loaded 20 rd mag, ZCO420 with ARD, SPUHR mount, Huxwrx 7.62 QD Ti with muzzle device, Atlas CAL, TAB PRS sling.

Total: 18.8 lbs

IMG_7797.jpeg

The 20S has an actual “SUPPRESSED” setting on the factory gas block.

What’s all this Intershizzle about not being suppressable (new word)?

The 20 is a great gun. Accurate as any gas gun can be. I’ve run a good 1,000 rounds of crap S&B ball ammo through it, along with ELD, Barnes, and even some LAX reman, 98% suppressed (TBAC Ultra 9). Never had a single issue.

There is no Scar Boogeyman that’s gonna gitcha.

I’m seeing them all over the map for under $4K.

I love my 17S DMR in 6.5. It is super consistent at 615 yards on 8” steel and lightweight. I’ll have to shoot some groups on paper when my Accu-Tac spiked feet arrive.

I retorqued the barrel upon unboxing, as this one was assembled in America.

You can say that again what can do you have on it.

It’s an old AAC Mk-13 SD. Not an ideal match but it works great for how I use it.

Use your Google Skills to search for running one suppressed, failure to feed, and blown primers:

https://www.fnforum.net/threads/does-scar-20s-6-5-creedmoor-have-some-fundamental-problems.229489/

IMHO what you run through it and how you run it will have a lot to do with the success or failure.

For over $4K it had better run with zero issues out of the box, and if it can't do that (with a suppressor on it), then it is not worth buying IMHO!
Tell us about yourSCAR 20 and the problems you’ve had.

Google anything and you’re bound to find a bunch of negative reviews. According to the internet every make, model and year of car is a total piece of shit. Why? Because people that have something to complain about, take to the internet and complain, people that have no issues don’t have a reason to say anything.

The blown primer issue was resolved by FN with a new bolt and firing pin. Many people, myself included never had an issue to begin with. My 6.5 loads are mid weight bullets at moderate velocity, I’ve never tried to squeeze every FPS out of my 6.5 loads so maybe that’s a contributing factor.

Reactions: ScarlettRed
It’s an old AAC Mk-13 SD. Not an ideal match but it works great for how I use it.

Tell us about yourSCAR 20 and the problems you’ve had.

Google anything and you’re bound to find a bunch of negative reviews. According to the internet every make, model and year of car is a total piece of shit. Why? Because people that have something to complain about, take to the internet and complain, people that have no issues don’t have a reason to say anything.

The blown primer issue was resolved by FN with a new bolt and firing pin. Many people, myself included never had an issue to begin with. My 6.5 loads are mid weight bullets at moderate velocity, I’ve never tried to squeeze every FPS out of my 6.5 loads so maybe that’s a contributing factor.
The SCAR isn’t an MP5. Does any gas-operated rifle run the same with and without a suppressor? I wouldn’t run a can on my 17s DMR without tuning the gas with my KNS Discarder to match the suppressor’s backflow.