• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Questions about Spuhr ISMS Mounts

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    For those of you using Spuhr mounts, I have a few questions for you.

Do you find the built in level adequate? The level appears quite small as compared to some of the other levels out there and I'm curious if the size and location of the Spuhr built in level is adequate for LR shooting?

Finally, I'd love to see a Dovetail Accessory Lug similar to what Flatline Ops makes for their level mounts so I can easily mount an ADI (angle degree indicator) to the mount. Since Spuhr does not make anything like this, I'd like to know how those of you with Spuhr mounts are attaching ADI's to your system. Pics would be great too if you have the time.

Thank you

Im not an experienced scope guy but I have found I can see my Spuhr level while behind the gun.

Some of the other designs are probably easier, and depending on your needs better suited, but for clean and functional Spuhr works for me.

Thank you pmclaine, do you find it's pretty easy to maintain your sight picture while looking at level or are you finding you have to readjust? Thanks again.

I cant see the level and my sight picture. If you are a chameleon though it shouldnt be an issue. I give a quick look down with my left eye, naturally my right eye follows. I make sure Im pretty well centered with the bubble. If the bubble is off I adjust my bipod and try again.

I find once I have the bipod locked Im pretty good for follow up shots. I havent faced the issues of shooting offhand/unsupported yet.

I think there are probably more ergonomic levels but you may end up with things projecting off the rifle and becoming hangups or that thing that causes all the scratches on other rifles as you pull it in and out of the safe.

For bench rest I might choose something else for my needs the Spuhr is sufficient.

P1015523_zps1af5c1be.jpg

Last edited:
    I have fond the level to be just fine. I don't do benchrest so my level is for setting up shots against odd ridgelines, sloping terrain, and things that trick your eye against the level. The larger ones that clamp to the scope are easier to break or to knock off kilter if you drop your rifle. The SPUHR level accuracy depends on the accuracy of the receiver and scope base. On an AI- no problem, on a 700 you might not have a squarely mounted base. I also have the quick detach ACI mounts on all my bases. I am not normally a QD fan for scope related stuff but it is more economical to buy one ACI and multiple QD mounts. I don't use the ACI much anyway. Just remember the ACI will have to be set to level (fore- aft) depending on the degree of cant on different rifles.

I cant see the level and my sight picture. If you are a chameleon though it shouldnt be an issue.

Thank you pmclaine, I appreciate your thoughts here as I had feared this might be the case with the bubble being so small and so close to the bore. As I've done more research I'm really interested in the LaRue QD LT807 and I'm really liking their Accuracy 1st scope level and it's curved design. The LT807 still gets me pretty low to the top of the rail while still providing clearance for 50 - 56mm objectives (right now I have a 50 but I may go to a 56 later on). This setup gets me a QD mount and very usable level and still about $70 less than the Spuhr.

One last thought, you've mounted your scope with the Spuhr no an AR platform with a BUIS rear sight and I'm guessing the sight is blocking the view of the Spuhr level, mine will be mounted on a Surgeon 591 so there should be no obstruction...

One last thought, you've mounted your scope with the Spuhr no an AR platform with a BUIS rear sight and I'm guessing the sight is blocking the view of the Spuhr level, mine will be mounted on a Surgeon 591 so there should be no obstruction...

I never thought about the KAC BUIS so that tells me it has no effect on my seeing the level. The issue with the level is that it is in line with the bore and under the scope so due to pure biology and how our eyes work when I look downwith my left eye to see the level my right eye follows down and loses the reticle.

I will be taking the KAC in line BUIS off the LMT MWS and installing them on a LMT CQB that will have its optic in a QD mount. I am going to put a set of KAC offset BUIS on with the Spuhr so if I actually want to use them I wont need tools to remove the scope to do so.

Thanks for the info pmclaine. Also nice rig, I thought that was an LMT. I have a LMT CQB MRP 16 piston that has served me well, but that's not what this scope is going on. Now I'm torn... my biggest concern is how well that little level is going to work on the Spuhr mount. Many here seem to think that Spuhr is one of the best, but many competitors use other brands and seem to do just fine so I'm trying to figure out what other benefits the extra money for the Spuhr would gain me over say the LaRue mount.

Thanks for the info pmclaine. Also nice rig, I thought that was an LMT. I have a LMT CQB MRP 16 piston that has served me well, but that's not what this scope is going on. Now I'm torn... my biggest concern is how well that little level is going to work on the Spuhr mount. Many here seem to think that Spuhr is one of the best, but many competitors use other brands and seem to do just fine so I'm trying to figure out what other benefits the extra money for the Spuhr would gain me over say the LaRue mount.

I think you will find the Spuhr to be a rock solid scope mount. Key word being solid aka firmly mounted, aka operator desires no movement, aka I dont intend to be taking it off either for comps, drills, or just to see if I can.

I cant help you further - regards the ergonomics of the Spuhr you must determine if maintaining sight picture at all times is sufficiently important. If so you may want something that is visible to your non dominant eye while scope gazing. If QD is a priority than Spuhr is out.

Thats what sucks about this hobby so much candy to choose from and our weak addicted brains are distratced by all the available options and distractions. When you decide what is truly important the only one true option will stand before you like the guy in a fresh snow field wearing neon skivvies.

Im not an experienced scope guy but I have found I can see my Spuhr level while behind the gun.

Some of the other designs are probably easier, and depending on your needs better suited, but for clean and functional Spuhr works for me.

Interesting since I'm in the opposite side...because I've a hard time to see the level while in a shooting position.

Same for the ADI. Almost impossible to read without getting off the firing position.

All in all, the mount itself is superb. Design and quality are top notch to say the least.

Interesting since I'm in the opposite side...because I've a hard time to see the level while in a shooting position.

Same for the ADI. Almost impossible to read without getting off the firing position.

All in all, the mount itself is superb. Design and quality are top notch to say the least.

Ditto here - the build in level is hard to see for a left handed shooter. I'll make reference to it before I start a shot string, but certainly not between shots.