• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions Concerning HIgh Pressure Air (HPA) Compressors and Other Fill Sources for PCP Airguns

Ezana4CE

Professional Amateur
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2023
Texas
I think it’s time for a thread dedicated to high pressure air (HPA) compressors. So we aren’t hijacking other threads, how about posing questions about compressors, SCBA tanks, hand pumps, booster pumps, portable compressors here? Top tier breathing air quality branded high pressure air compressors used to fill SCBA and SCUBA tanks (that are in turn used to fill PCP airguns) are: Bauer, Alkin, and Coltri. These will be some of the most costly in the order listed. These brand have produced compressor that have been proven reliable amongst airgunners. The Bauer Jr II, The Alkin W31 Mariner, and The Coltri Icon and Coltri MCH6 compressors are all worth researching. These are top tier high pressure air (HPA) compressors ranging from $2600 - $5500 purchased new.

Alkin W31 Mariner SCBA Tank Fill Times. The content creator Tofoazu has been around in the airgun community for years.

Alkin W31 Mariner Auto Shutoff (feature) Demonstration. Content created by the folks at Alkin USA.

Alkin W31 Mariner Manual Configuration Demonstration

Coltri Icon - How to Run for the First Time

First Installation and Setup for the Coltri MCH6/EM

Refill With Ease Using Coltri MCH6 EM

PCP Air Compressors and What Works. Take a look at various types of fill sources for PCP airguns. The content creator, Dana Webb, is a trusted name in the airgun community. Great resource to see how various guns hold up in the field while hunting. His torture test video series is great!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zinfandel
I don’t see any discussion here re: high end compressors for PCP’s. Anyone with experience using Aikin or Corti compressors? Time to fill 9L bottles, auto moisture dump, maintenance, etc.

@Zinfandel The thread was created to halt a tangential conversation in another thread here (see posts #24, 30, 80 until my post linking that thread to this one).

I wanted members from that thread to continue the conversation here. I have an Alkin. I’ve never filled a tank from empty. I was going to a dive shop prior to purchasing my Alkin W31 Mariner and I own a 74cu Ft SCBA tank. From around 2100 psi to around 4400 psi it takes about 9-10 mins to fill. Sometimes it’s good to stop and allow the tank to cool for an hour or so. I bleed the first and second stage valves after around 5 minutes of pressurized run time. This is a manual purge that involves unscrewing the bolts on these valves and moisture sprays out of metal pipes attached to the legs of the compressor frame. I have no experience with the auto purge feature. The moisture expelled from the 1st and 2nd stage valves smells like a mixture of oil and water. As for the output side of the of the compressor going to the SCBA tank, there is a charcoal and (mostly) desiccant bead filled filter in the water separator tower (I think that’s what it’s called). When I open that valve after shutting down the compressor I never feel or witness any moisture coming out.

As for maintenance, I put about 3.5 hours on mine Alkin last year and changed the oil and filtration media once. I haven’t had any issues out of my compressor. I may run it 2-5x per month. To top off my SCBA tank it usually takes 5-10 minutes depending upon how far I drain the pressure.

Last edited:
Many thks for this. Any dealer rec?
@Zinfandel Yes, I recommend dealing directly with Alkin. You may also check with some of the larger airgun shops Like Pyramyd Air, Baker Airguns, Utah Airguns, Northeast Airguns, etc. to see if any of them have lower shipping costs. I still recommend going straight through the Alkin USA distributor in New Jersey.

Aydin was the man running the show when I bought mine. He head great communication via phone and email. These are Turkish built compressors assembled in New Jersey to my understanding. They will ship from Jersey. I had the option to arrange freight shipping (via 18-wheeler) to a depot or a business with freight loading docks. I didn't want it delivered to my home. He was helpful in arranging that. He helped me identify the freight companies in my area and I elected one I was comfortable using (Saia Motor Freight I think). You will need a pivk-up truck or trailer to haul it as it will be strapped to a pallet and loaded by a forlklift onto you vehicle if picked up from a freight depot. It was packaged well and sustained no damage in transit. I paid around $250 for freight costs to ship it.

I have a forklift but 53’ trailers are challenged here. I note the spec for the W31 has max psi at 5000 psi. Will it fill the 5500 psi Scott bottles?

I have a forklift but 53’ trailers are challenged here. I note the spec for the W31 has max psi at 5000 psi. Will it fill the 5500 psi Scott bottles?
I imagine that it would cut off at 5000 psi IF it has a 5000 psi safety valve installed. Mine opens around 4400-4500 psi and stops filling. BUT Alkin makes a variety of compressors. I recommend calling and asking which compressor and configuration they have that meet your needs.

@Zinfandel No problem. If you peruse the Alkin site you will have a better idea of their range of compressor offerings prior to calling.

Dont forget the Nitrogen option. That’s what i use but I also use nitrogen at work so it was easy for me to do. Fill time is say 10 seconds to 250 bar. Best of all it’s not noisy. It’s not the easiest option for everyone though.

Dont forget the Nitrogen option. That’s what i use but I also use nitrogen at work so it was easy for me to do. Fill time is say 10 seconds to 250 bar. Best of all it’s not noisy. It’s not the easiest option for everyone though.
@OrigDragon I have never used nitrogen. However, I have read of others doing so. The main benefit being that you have a dry source of compressed gas. I'm not sure how high those tanks are pressurized. I have also read that it's good to have a booster pump on hand to get the most from a rented nitrogen tank. Here's an article on booster pumps. Although I believe that Extreme went out of business.

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/extreme-booster-pump-review-part-two-test-results/

Last edited:
I like the simplicity and ease of use of my Hill's EC-3000 evo + Dry-Pac Pro and I've managed to moved away from the use of 4500psi/310bar cylinders since getting one.

I think they are sold under license in the US under the Air Venturi EC-3000 moniker