• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions for 7mm SAUM Shooters

JA1989

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2019
Hey guys, just put together my first 7mm SAUM. Built on a Impact Precision 737R short action, prefit m24 Benchmark barrel finished at 24” that was chambered by Straight Jacket Armory, in a McMillan A3-5 adjustable comb stock. I do my own stock work, so I floated the barrel channel and full length bedded the action with marine tex. Bottom metal is Hawkins precision hunter DBM. So I have a couple questions, I’ve never messed with this caliber. I plan on shooting 180 Berger VLD hunters using ADG brass. I lubed up a bullet and seated it by closing the bolt. For this rifles chamber, COAL jammed in the lands is 3.014. I’ll be starting my load work up by seating down to 2.990, because I like round numbers. This length is just a tad too long to mag feed, so which brand of magazine allows the longest COAL? Next question, in your experience, what velocities can I reasonably expect from the 180s in a short action? On to the next topic. I’m using a Forster micrometer seating die, and the only full length sizing die I found in stock was an L.E. Wilson full length bushing die. My neck dimension with a loaded case is .3165, and I ordered a .315 bushing as the .314s were out of stock. Will this give enough neck tension? Finally, I know there is a separate thread for 7 saum loads, but feel free to post up any pet loads in your rifles. I’ve searched which powders do well in this round, and the ones I have on hand are RL26, H4350, and H4831sc. I would greatly appreciate anyone sharing their experience with this round, and I’m always willing to learn. Hopefully y’all can clear up these questions. Thanks in advance, God bless.

If you scroll to the top there is actually a pinned 7 saum page and has a lot of info you’re looking for.