• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions for a custom build

Naaman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2020
Hello all,

I'm spec'ing out a custom build for a general purpose field rifle. I have extremely limited experience and knowledge with bolt guns. I intend to carry it around in the woods/mountains/desert.

1) When it comes to the magazine, can a DBM be used "like" an internal magazine in that rounds can be loaded with the mag inserted? Theoretically, could the magazine be "left in" so that the rifle operates the same as (or similar to) an internal magazine with bottom metal?

2) For an adjustable stock, what options are there for carrying ammo on the gun? On my wooden stock, I use a velcro-strapped cheek riser with a pouch. On shotguns, I know there are shell carriers that mount to the receiver. Is there anything like that for a rifle (perhaps mounted on the buttstock)?

3) For twist rate, I'm thinking 1:10, but I know some of the precision rifles used by the military are 1:11.25. I'm assuming that the M24, etc. was shooting 175gr as its standard load. Is the 11.25 twist outdated "knowledge," or is there something to the slower twist rate for a .308 (in case it matters, I'm wanting an 18" barrel).

4) For cross-body carry, is a regular AR15 sling a good choice? Or are there some factors other factors to consider. The sling I would use is a padded Vickers Tactical.

Thanks in advance for any help! (y)

Hello all,

I'm spec'ing out a custom build for a general purpose field rifle. I have extremely limited experience and knowledge with bolt guns. I intend to carry it around in the woods/mountains/desert.

1) When it comes to the magazine, can a DBM be used "like" an internal magazine in that rounds can be loaded with the mag inserted? Theoretically, could the magazine be "left in" so that the rifle operates the same as (or similar to) an internal magazine with bottom metal?

2) For an adjustable stock, what options are there for carrying ammo on the gun? On my wooden stock, I use a velcro-strapped cheek riser with a pouch. On shotguns, I know there are shell carriers that mount to the receiver. Is there anything like that for a rifle (perhaps mounted on the buttstock)?

3) For twist rate, I'm thinking 1:10, but I know some of the precision rifles used by the military are 1:11.25. I'm assuming that the M24, etc. was shooting 175gr as its standard load. Is the 11.25 twist outdated "knowledge," or is there something to the slower twist rate for a .308 (in case it matters, I'm wanting an 18" barrel).

4) For cross-body carry, is a regular AR15 sling a good choice? Or are there some factors other factors to consider. The sling I would use is a padded Vickers Tactical.

Thanks in advance for any help! (y)
I'll see if I an answer the questions in order.

1) Maybe. Depends on your cartridge and your scope mounting options, as well as if you consider it easier to try to mess with it instead of taking out the magazine, topping it off, and then re-inserting it.

2) They make velcro cartridge loops you can attach to just about anywhere on your rifle, but why would you want that? Just carry another magazine or two on your person readily accessible.

3) No comment, other than people kill paper and meat with 1:10 just fine. It's mostly dependent on what bullet weights you intend to shoot.

4) cross body carry works well if you have QD flushcups on the "slick-side" of your rifle. With that said, most still probably just sling over the shoulder.

Good luck with your build!

1. Not really - but why? Having a dbm kind of negates the need to top load. You can single feed rounds, but top loading a dbm would be a PITA.

2. There's various products. Hoptic USA quivers, SAP 2 round holders, etc.

3. The military uses 1:11.75 twist because that's what happened to be one of the gear ratios on the rifling machine of their original barrel supplier - not because it's some magical twist. 1:10 twist is more versatile, IMO.

4. Personal preference. I don't use sling much anymore, but when I do I use a Rifles Only bungee sling, using QD cups on the bolt side on the rear/buttstock, and the opposite side on the front of the rifle.

Hey thanks for the replies, guys.

Main reason I'm asking about top loading is because I like the idea/option of only carrying one mag. Maybe I'm over thinking it, I don't know.

As for slings, for whatever reason, whenever I shoulder carry, the sling slides off my shoulder while walking around. I do like the sling on the strong side of the buttstock and the support side of the handguard.

Based on my research so far, I'm looking at an entry level Proof rifle or a high end Seekins chambered in .308, or havimg a local smith build me something.

Hey thanks for the replies, guys.

As for slings, for whatever reason, whenever I shoulder carry, the sling slides off my shoulder while walking around. I do like the sling on the strong side of the buttstock and the support side of the handguard.
That is typically referred to as "Patrol" style sling. I run a patrol sling, or no sling. I run a Vickers Blue force adjustable 2 point patrol sling so I can sinch tight when needed, and then rapid deploy the rifle to shoulder. QDs on it too when I want no sling.
Based on my research so far, I'm looking at an entry level Proof rifle or a high end Seekins chambered in .308, or havimg a local smith build me something.
If you aren't building yourself, Springfield Waypoint a hard rig to beat out the door. If offered in your chamber.

Reactions: Naaman