• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions for AI owners

SNAFU308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2012
The Land Downunder
Ok so I was planning on grabbing on of the new AIAT's but a deal locally came up for an AIAE MKII for a bit over $2500 less than what an AT would cost me (that's with me importing one into country myself as the distributor here marks them up significantly) so I jumped on it and will be picking it up in the near future figured the savings were worth it and that it's still and AI so i'm not likely to be unhappy with it.

Now onto my question the barrel is stamped 7.62x51 not .308 now I don't want to get into a debate about the difference between the two as I know they're essentially identical with the exception of the 7.62 generally having a bit more as far as headspace goes, i'm assuming the AI barrels are chambered to .308 tolerances but stamped as 7.62x51 for the purposes of uniformity??? If not can someone please let me know.

Now I just need to decide what scope I want to run on it, I have a Vortex Razor HD 5-20 which is actually in with the distributor getting repaired at the moment due to a parallax issue that I can mount up once returned or I could sell the remington 700 custom I have and purchase a S&B PMII 5-25 for it instead...

Cheers

SNAFU

Unless the remington is a different caliber, it will probably not get fired much once you get the AE. I say go for the S&B. This way you will have both a top tier rifle and scope. Not saying your remington is bad or the razor, ,just prolly what I would do.

I was interested in this issue as well, because I purchased a AX PSR and I expected a .308 barrel. I was worried that I received a barrel marked 7.62.

The Accuracy International manual repeatedly refers to the chambering has "7.62/.308", so they appear to view them as the same thing.

I have fired about 200 rounds of .308 through the rifle without a problem.

LivFOvxl.jpg

I would strongly recommend to not cut corners on the optics, as it is a very accurate rifle, and it would be a shame to not have it set up to its maxium potential.

I have a MKIII and the barrel is also stamped 7.62x51. Not an issue. I fire .308, factory and reloads with not issues at all. I actually check with the folks and Mile High and AI USA and there is not issue with using .308s in the 7.62x51 with standard loads. If you start running hot loads you may have any issue but I don't push the limits on my reloads.

Unless the remington is a different caliber, it will probably not get fired much once you get the AE. I say go for the S&B. This way you will have both a top tier rifle and scope. Not saying your remington is bad or the razor, ,just prolly what I would do.

You're right I on one count I was having a play with the AE today and it made my microslicked R700 feel sloppy and rough in comparison I don't think i'll want to shoot it anywhere near as much after I get the AE.

I would strongly recommend to not cut corners on the optics, as it is a very accurate rifle, and it would be a shame to not have it set up to its maxium potential.

Thanks and nice shooting, although i'm not sure i'd describe a Vortex Razor HD as cutting corners, It isn't a S&B but I don't think i've missed any shots because the scope was lacking in any way whatsoever

Well I thought the point of the AE was that you get the benefits of the AW without the price tag. So something similar with the scope would be appropriate ? Buy something decent but don't get hung up on S&B ?

Sell the Remington and the Vortex when you get it back and get a pre-owned Schmidt, new Gen II Vortex scopes coming out this summer, or the NF ATACR or beast (when it comes out). Lots of good options on optics nowadays.

I used a Vortex Razor HD 5-20X with EBR-2B reticle in mils and worked great, but did sell it and got the S&B you mentioned, which I do like better. However, I have also preordered a Vortex Razor HD 4.5-27 with EBR-2 or 3C reticle in mils. Heavy at 48oz, but reviews very good and 34 rather than 35mm tube, so you might want to start with your present Vortex and then in 4-6 months, see what's available. I do plan to keep my S&B, since my son and I have 3 precision rifles. I like S&B, while he likes our 2 March scopes better.

Agree you probably won't enjoy the Rem after you shoot the AI!

I think the Remington will go regardless it was bought as I wanted something cheap to get back into long range shooting after a long break and having sold off my old LR rifle so I grabbed a 5R Mil-Spec, but having had nicer rifles in the past straight away things started bothering me, the trigger on mine was terrible, the LOP was too short for me and I just could not get comfortable with the palm swell on that particular stock, so it went off to get a AICS chassis & and new trigger along with Cerakote. Then while it was there I kept adding to the list of thing I wanted done to it and as the list got longer the cost went up accordingly.

When I got it back however it hadn't been done as I had requested and had been throated incorrectly for the projectiles I wanted to run, I had only planned on using the rifle whilst I ordered and waited for an AI to turn up, now I have an AI I really don't see me shooting this one at all as the AI will do everything I need in this type of rifle set up.

I will likely shoot it with the Razor HD as it is a nice scope for the time being until i'm able to grab a S&B

Here's pic of the R700 set up......well just because

I think the Remington will go regardless it was bought as I wanted something cheap to get back into long range shooting after a long break and having sold off my old LR rifle so I grabbed a 5R Mil-Spec, but having had nicer rifles in the past straight away things started bothering me, the trigger on mine was terrible, the LOP was too short for me and I just could not get comfortable with the palm swell on that particular stock, so it went off to get a AICS chassis & and new trigger along with Cerakote. Then while it was there I kept adding to the list of thing I wanted done to it and as the list got longer the cost went up accordingly.

When I got it back however it hadn't been done as I had requested and had been throated incorrectly for the projectiles I wanted to run, I had only planned on using the rifle whilst I ordered and waited for an AI to turn up, now I have an AI I really don't see me shooting this one at all as the AI will do everything I need in this type of rifle set up.

I will likely shoot it with the Razor HD as it is a nice scope for the time being until i'm able to grab a S&B

Here's pic of the R700 set up......well just because

Definitely sell the Remy and agree you will do well with your present Vortex scope until you can try some other options in the future to know which you like best. A lot of nice premium scopes available now and a few more in the next several months. Good Luck!

Last edited: