• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Questions for DIY bedding a FN SPR in a McM

Short Round

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2005
Glens Falls, NY
I'm sorting out my bedding process for my build. I plan on using Devcon steel putty. I have a FN SPR action with the factory detachable magazine and a McM A3 adjustable stock with machined in pillars. I've read the 6mbrr bedding topic and the long post in here. Both are installing pillars at the same time as bedding.

Question 1. As the inletted stock comes from McMillan is it ready to go, as in bed it right on top of the pillars with a skim coat or do I need to dremmel more clearance for the putty? Dremmel everything but the pillar tops to locate action height?

Question 2. I'm better off bedding the barreled action and the bottom metal right? The bottom metal has lots of lateral float and I don't think it should go w/o bedding.

So far my plan of attack includes;

-strip action of trigger and small parts to keep safe/avoid locking
-fill holes with clay
-double tape recoil lug sides and front face
-tape off stock interior in front of lug
-hell I'm taping everything not getting putty!
-fill trigger well and magazine well with clay
-tape around screws to locate inside pillars
-kiwi everything not getting bedded including tape
-tape up around barrel in layers to locate barrel in channel.

I've read different things on pressing/holding the action in place while it cures:
-use the taped up action screws and bottom metal and very light tension
-surgical tubing wrapping stock and action together
-taping action and stock together
-using nothing but the barreled actions weight with the stock in a vice

I'm thinking I might try a combination since my pillars are already in place. My action screws should be in place (taped) but not drawn tight and maybe even sans bottom metal. This will insure good location of receiver relative to the pillars. If no bottom metal then obviously no tension on them and a couple light wraps of tape.

Your thoughts and words of advice are most welcome.

SR