• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Questions for leather holster aficionados

IdahoMike

I like Turtles.
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
12TUN8307946609
I just bought a Blackhawk leather holster and when I skin it, I give myself a huge wedgie. So what can I do to the leather to make the draw smoother? Other than answers like "get a kydex holster" or "just draw it a couple of thousand times" lets hear something with substance.

Thanks,

IM

Re: Questions for leather holster aficionados

I use an old baseball trick like breaking in a new glove. Get some glove slick from the local pro shop and spray the holster down. Place gun in holster and throw it between the mattresses for a day two.

Put the pistol in a plastic bag, and place the pistol in the plastic bag in the holster. Let it sit for a few days, and then work it in and out mimicking a draw until it goes in and out both smoothly and tightly. That's the way that it's always been done. Don't put chemicals on holsters, and remember that holsters are one item where you truly get what you pay for.

I thought about the glove oil thing but was a little skeptical. However Veer your suggestion makes plenty-O-sense.

Appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought about the glove oil thing but was a little skeptical. However Veer your suggestion makes plenty-O-sense.

Appreciated. </div></div>

NP. 25 years carrying and at least I learned one thing that I could pass on.

On my belt, my carry gun/s spend very little time in leather holsters (IWB isn't my cup of tea). When they are not on my belt and not in the safe they are always in a leather holster.
Whether that be as it is now, on my desk next to me or when I'm in bed on my nightstand.
Veer's recommendation works well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put the pistol in a plastic bag, and place the pistol in the plastic bag in the holster. Let it sit for a few days, and then work it in and out mimicking a draw until it goes in and out both smoothly and tightly. That's the way that it's always been done. Don't put chemicals on holsters, and remember that holsters are one item where you truly get what you pay for. </div></div>

+1 on the zip-lock/plastic bag idea. I own holsters from some incredible leather guys around the world (Matt Del Fatti and others) and this is the advice I have gotten from them on overly "tight" holsters/break-in. After a few days of the extra girth from the plastic bag, your holster should fit like a glove and be much easier to insert in/draw from the holster while not destroying it like you'll do with chemicals, etc. If the fit is REALLY tight, go with a double plastic bag and apply the same procedure.

ubet, it is a IWB. I know that can be the source of the tightness because of my belt and whatnot but it was overly tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put the pistol in a plastic bag, and place the pistol in the plastic bag in the holster. Let it sit for a few days, and then work it in and out mimicking a draw until it goes in and out both smoothly and tightly. That's the way that it's always been done. Don't put chemicals on holsters, and remember that holsters are one item where you truly get what you pay for. </div></div>

That's my method, as well. I do use Renaissance Wax. I have one Summer Special style (Nighthawk, I believe) that took several weeks to break in.

I wet in inside, a little which sofetens it immediatley, put the gun in a plastic bag and insert let dry 24 hours, take the gun out next day and let holster dry another 24 coat the inside with Galco EZ draw on all areas wherether is leatgher to metaal contact including entire trigger pocket. draw and reholster 30 times or so........ Done......works very well does not seem to hurt leather and just keep getting better with use. quick and have done this this over a dozen times and no problems have arisen with leather.