• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Questions for the Smiths and people "in the know"

shadow4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2005
Aiken SC area
I've noticed that most gun smiths bed the barrel for about 1.5" in front of the recoil lug on rifles bedded in HS Precision, McMillan, and Manners stocks. I know that this is being done to minimize stress on the action (right?). On the AICS stock though, I haven't seen any bedding in front of the recoil lug. Any reason for this, or are my eyes deceiving me and there is bedding there?

Next question is "if" you were going to build a rifle on an AICS stock with a heavy contour and you couldn't bed the barrel in front of the recoil lug, which action(s) would you feel the most comfortable doing this with, and why?

Thanks for your input!

Re: Questions for the Smiths and people "in the know"

personally, i don't worry about bedding an aics at all. i am not really "in the know" but every one i have dealt with has shot good enough to not worry about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally, i don't worry about bedding an aics at all. i am not really "in the know" but every one i have dealt with has shot good enough to not worry about it. </div></div>

+1

Of the 2 AICS I own I see no reason to bed. Both rifles showed improved accuracy by simply putting them in the AICS and torquing to <span style="text-decoration: line-through">63</span> check that 53 in/lbs.
Of the McMillan and HS stocks I have bedded I have added 1.5" in front of the action.
Why it is not needed on an AICS? the only reason I know is due to the rigidity of the solid aluminum chassis negates the need to do so.
Some say the 1.5" is not needed on McMillans or HS, then some do.

I have a Stiller TAC300 action with a Bartlein Medium Palma 30" barrel in an AICS 1.5 LA. I've never felt the need to bed it. I've had it for over three years and have put many rounds through it in all four seasons.. It's very accurate and has never changed zero year in and year out. Stiller machines his actions to be just about perfectly round, and the AICS chassis V-block is straight and true. I can understand the need to bed an AICS if your action is not very concentric and is a sloppy fit in the AICS chassis as is found with many mass produced 700 actions, but if the action to chassis fit is correct you're G-T-G without bedding. You would have to have one hell of a long and heavy barrel to stress a well designed and properly manufactured action under normal conditions.

For the other side of the coin, Terry Cross beds his AICS builds and you sure can't argue with his results. Try shooting yours without bedding it, then bed it if your results aren't satisfactory. That's the only way you'll know if bedding it made an improvement or not
smile.gif