• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions from a Newb to Precision Rifle

Milf Dots

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
@Lowlight, @MarinePMI, @Enough Said . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
and anyone else who is competent on the subject:

I just read the pinned thread "Fundamentals of Marksmanship", and I'll re-read many times.

I'm reading the pinned thread "Getting Started In Precision Rifle Shooting", and will also read it many times.

For purposes of effective learning, training & an optimum foundation, I have a few questions:

1) Are either of those topics' key points above covered in a book, DVD, video, or even on laminated cards? (a few commented they were going to write the key points on cards)

2) From a coachability standpoint, am I wrong to want to start with a quality, "not lightweight rifle" in 6.5cm, or should I go to a smaller cartridge? I shoot 5.56 carbines pretty well but they just have red dots, not scopes, and my carbine skills might not mean much anyway in relation to LR shooting.

I don't want to buy a new precision rifle system every other year, and the mid term goal is to hit competently at the 1300-1400 yd max that my closest range offers! Long term goal I want to be hitting at "a mile to 2000 yds"- but that's a different cartridge setup!

3) Aside from the obvious rifle/glass/bipod/shooting bags/ammo/eye & ear pro/shooting mat, etc., what other gear is considered mandatory for a newb taking a course, coaching, training? Is there a list somewhere on SH? I'm thinking of things like binos, spotting scope, wind meter, ballistics computer, LRF, tripod, shot timer... I have a few laptops Win/Linux/OS X, so if that helps with the electronics, I'm set there.

From the start I'd rather avoid learning bad habits, and spending money on the wrong gear.

Thanks

Last edited:
1) be a supporter and get access to the training videos

2) 6.5CM is a great place to start and will be easier to than a 223. but a 223 means you can shoot more for the same cost and an 80gr+ is competitive inside 600-800y. any action that takes prefits makes the cartridge change down the road much easier.
buy once cry once. except you'll eventually switch some stuff. a budget is helpful. I'd say $3k with glass is the minimum but can easily be $10k+ with a bunch in between.
you will VERY likely go through different actions/scopes/chassis. not everything works for everyone. do your best to finger fuck everything at local matches before buying. and try to get stuff in the PX for cheaper. makes it easier to sell and try something else without taking a loss.

3) phone app like GeoBallistics, Hornady 4dof is plenty to start.
binos/spotter/lrf are useful in match for spotting other shooters but not necessarily in normal shooting
eventually a kestrel with AB is nice to have. data and wind in one place. but they're no more accurate ballistically in most scenarios
tripod is good for spotting and occasionally shooting. depends where you are how much you'll shoot from it. it's also an easy way to practice positions from different heights.
shot timer...just use a phone app/timer. again this is mostly match practice.
learn to love dryfire for positional practice. an iota/dfat can be great for indoors

4) in 2023 there aren't many WRONG options (besides a savage) in the precision rifle world. we're mostly at a point where its differences in feel. they all function

@Lowlight, @MarinePMI, @Enough Said . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
and anyone else who is competent on the subject:

I just read the pinned thread "Fundamentals of Marksmanship", and I'll re-read many times.

I'm reading the pinned thread "Getting Started In Precision Rifle Shooting", and will also read it many times.

For purposes of effective learning, training & an optimum foundation, I have a few questions:

1) Are either of those topics' key points above covered in a book, DVD, video, or even on laminated cards? (a few commented they were going to write the key points on cards)

2) From a coachability standpoint, am I wrong to want to start with a quality, "not lightweight rifle" in 6.5cm, or should I go to a smaller cartridge? I shoot 5.56 carbines pretty well but they just have red dots, not scopes, and my carbine skills might not mean much anyway in relation to LR shooting.

I don't want to buy a new precision rifle system every other year, and the mid term goal is to hit competently at the 1300-1400 yd max that my closest range offers! Long term I want to be hitting at a mile- but that's a different cartridge!

3) Aside from the obvious rifle/glass/bipod/shooting bags/ammo/eye & ear pro/shooting mat, etc., what other gear is considered mandatory for a newb taking a course, coaching, training? Is there a list somewhere on SH? I'm thinking of things like binos, spotting scope, wind meter, ballistics computer, LRF, tripod, shot timer... I have a few laptops Win/Linux/OS X, so if that helps with the electronics, I'm set there.

From the start I'd rather avoid learning bad habits, and spending money on the wrong gear.

Thanks
Pretty much what @b6graham said, though with some minor differences of opinion (probably largely due to where and how I shoot these days).

I'd add that Lowlight wrote a book since that sticky thread was written; it might be worth adding it to your reading list. But yeah, become a subscriber, and start going through the training videos. When you've digested them all, you can drop your subscription if you are tight on funding (the economy being what it is these days, it's understandable).

Finally, peruse the subforums themselves. There are troves of information/content around a lot of your questions; just learn to understand what is empirical, and what is opinion. Lots of opinion in this skill set (and by almost everyone), so be advised, you're going to have to do a little bit of thinking on your own, and trial and error, to wade through it all.

Welcome aboard.

1) Online training here on the hide. Modern day sniper online courses. Impact shooting online courses (Peter Milan)
Frank Galli's Book - Precision Rifle Marksmanship: The Fundamentals - A Marine Sniper's Guide to Long Range Shooting
Ryan Cleckner's Book - Long Range Shooting Handbook: The Complete Beginner's Guide to Precision Rifle Shooting

2) 6.5 creed is where to start. Buy the best Glass you can afford, then put a rifle under it that has a good reputation. You can always upgrade the rifle and keep the scope. At the ranges you want to shoot I would suggest you get to a "Tier1" scope.

3) Here is a list on the hide that might guide you.
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/a-syllabus-learning-precision-rifle-shooting.6997604/

4) Read. Read. Read. then ask smart detailed questions to get the answers you are looking for.