• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions: Military, not really Snipery, but vintage

pitspitr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2020
Central Nebraska
So, I just purchased a US marked Remington 513T and I have several questions that I have no doubt the members of this forum can help me with.

It came without a rear sight, but the left side of the receiver is D&T'ed for a peep sight. Were typically these issued with a Lyman, a Redfield, or were they issued with another brand?

The front of the barrel is mounted with a (for lack of a better term) Unertl style scope block for a front globe sight. Whose globe did they use?

I'm considering having the barrel drilled and tapped for scope blocks for my 20X Lyman Target Spot or Winchester B5. Is there any kind of a collector's market for these that I'm unaware of? (I wouldn't drill the barrel if it would destroy some kind of collector value.)

I know that some 513T's had the Lyman scopes on them. IF I were to have the barrel drilled, where would the correct placing of the blocks be?

And finally; it is set up with a "sled" (again, I'm not sure of the right term) for single loading. As a target rifle, what sport that requires single loading, would it have been use in?

I'm including some pictures below.
pix145170592.jpg

pix014273735.jpg
pix328803284.jpg
pix889387053.jpg
pix070330053.jpg
pix104735693.jpg
pix174172005.jpg
pix247259976.jpg
pix441335292.jpg

Attachments

• pix328803284.jpg
    pix328803284.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: RTH1800
Nice rifle! I've had one for almost 20 years, purchased from the CMP. I love mine to death.

To answer some of your questions:

They were originally equipped with the Redfield Model 75 rear sight.

I believe the most common front sight was the Redfield model 17, though it is unusual to see that front sight base on a military model; that was added to your rifle in the civilian world, and its hard to say what would definitely fit it.

I also had mine drilled for a vintage long tube scope, and it's made it a much more enjoyable rifle. I wouldn't worry too much about hurting collector value. There's plenty of them out there if some die hard wants an all original version he can buy a different one; most people would see the addition of the scope as a plus.

I would have the rear scope base mounted to the barrel, just in front of the receiver; it will be easier for the 'smith to drill, and it won't drill through or cover the cool US Property stamp.

The sled is a really cool feature (and if you want to sell it, send me a private message, I've been looking for one.) Traditional smallbore matches don't allow loading from a magazine, and a sled is a handy feature to have in those settings.

Again, cool rifle!

Thank you Jamie,
I've thought of a couple of more questions.

What is the torque specs for the action screw or is it as important as the setting is in modern, centerfire match/sniper rifles?

If I took the sled out, what would I need to reconvert it to use magazines? Currently, there is no provision for attaching the magazines.
Traditional smallbore matches don't allow loading from a magazine, and a sled is a handy feature to have in those settings.
I've only ever shot High Power matches or Appleseed events. Both of those require magazines. If I try to look up the rules for small bore matches, what are some of the names of that style matches?

Is the sled a modified magazine or a part in the gun. You might have to pull the stock off (no big deal) and post some pics of what has been done there.

Your front sight block is not the original mount. The 513T came with globe front.
20230628_023738.jpg

20230628_023842.jpg

Or a cheap blocky front sight post that's screwed on. This is what was likely on yours originally. Military knew they could save some money and have a easier maintenance with this front sight.

20230628_023909.jpg

You can torque the action screw probably 25-40 inch pounds. I wouldn't get too Gung ho with torque on a wood stocked rimfire. But you do have the benefit of it holding onto the floorplate underneath.

Go on Midwayusa or Brownells and get yourself some repro 10rnd mags. Work great and are cheap. Easy to grab hold of. They make both 5's and 10's....

Original mags have Remington stamped on the baseplate. Repro's typically have the letter "R" stamped on them. Equal in general quality but originals obviously command more money. For what you need them for...repros are fine.
20230628_023955.jpg

Depending on what's been done with that sled...you might need a magazine catch. Numrich might have them on hand. Might be the same part as the 521T and 511 for cross reference.

You can set that thing up a myriad of ways. If you want a long old traditional Lyman or Unertl...you have to have a specific mount spacing for turret increment you want (1/8 MOA, 1/4 MOA, etc.). I used to have a diagram....you can probably Google it and find it easily enough.

You could drill and tap for a more modern type setup as well. Two Weaver #43 bases are super cheap to buy and relatively easy to install....just make sure the smith knows to spread them as far apart as possible for eye relief. It's up to you. Slap some matte finish 1" Weaver rings and a old target scope on it and you have something that appears relatively "vintage".

You can take out the front wood screw in the forend rail and screw in a bipod stud with no real harm done (its reversible). Shown below.
20230604_141616.jpg

Screenshot_20230628_030653_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Average guy
These are the picttures of the sled. It looks as though to remove it would require taking the lock apart. Also it appears that torquing the action is out of the realm of possibility for me as the screw has a coin slot.
20230630_171121.jpg
20230630_171028.jpg

These are the picttures of the sled. It looks as though to remove it would require taking the lock apart. Also it appears that torquing the action is out of the realm of possibility for me as the screw has a coin slot.
View attachment 8173362View attachment 8173363
Gunsmith screwdrivers are usually hollow ground or precision type hollow ground and come in the widths you would need. Using other types of drivers end up looking like what you have, or worse.

I have both the fat wrench and gunsmith screwdrivers. I tried both. Honestly, the slot is at least twice as wide as the thickest bit that came with the fat wrench and the bottom of the slot is dished. A penny is just about a perfect fit

This rifle is for sale in a Norwegian gunshop. (Dare I say $110?..)
Scope and sidemount is obviously aftermarket.
Sleeved barrel?

1688207643306.png

1688207713172.png