• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Questions on a 5-25 S&B?

marku

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2008
Illinois
I went shooting out today. It was around 29 degrees out bright and sunny. For some reason I coulnd get a clear crisp pic set on 25x thru the scope? I adjusted the back ring till it was as clear as it could get. I also adjusted the focus on the side. I was also seeing ALOT of heatwaves thru the scope even before I started shooting. Any explinations?

Re: Questions on a 5-25 S&B?

That's called mirage. You'll have that any time the sun is out, no matter the temperature. The higher the power the scope is set on, the more you will notice the mirage.

And the ocular adjustment is used <span style="font-weight: bold">only</span> to focus the reticle to your eye. Once that adjustment is made, it should not need to be adjusted again.

Lindy is correct of course about the mirage. It's more pronounced shooting in 20deg (cold) weather since there is a substantial amount of mirage and disturbance as a direct result of the barrel/air temp gradient.

I was shooting with a suppressor a couple weeks ago in -5 deg temp, and if the heat shield was not on the can, I literally could not even see through the optic. The scope was the same as yours, PMII 5-25x.

Thanks guys. I thought it was called mirage but didnt want to call it that just in case it was something else. It was really bad yesterday like said above I had a really difficult time seeing the target at 400yds thru it.