• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on a custom .260 Build

Rjvenema

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2014
Dallas, TX
Newbie to the Forum here so bear with me.

I am wanting to build out a .260 custom tack driver. My main intention is a 1000 yard rifle to punch paper with. I may take out on occasion for Texas deer hunting, but have a Savage 10FP in .308 i use mainly. I know that these rifles can add up $$$ quick. I am looking to try to stay around the $4k mark. So far here is the route I am thinking.

Rem 700 short Action
Brux #4 interrupted fluting Barrel
XLR Evolution Chassis
Jewell Trigger
JEC Muzzle Break
Swarovski Z5 Glass

My questions are:
1.) Out of what I have listed, is there anything that is an obvious, don't use?
2.) Am I better off buying a Rem 700 and slowly upgrading as I can afford or save up and do all at once? i.e., extra cost in gunsmithing fees as I go
3.)Recommendations for a north Texas gunsmith to do work, and recommendations for painter when it comes time.
4.) any other recommendations or additions?

Thank y'all in advance for the advice and help.

The Scope is the only thing that really stands out to me, It's a spendy peice of glass without target turrets, and with only a 1" tube. A friend of mine has one on his new hunting rifle and if I was dropping that kind of coin on a scope there's no way in hell it would have a 1" tube and no target turrets, especially if your looking to stretch it out to 1K.

one of the Vortex Razors that are on clearance @ Eurooptic.com, or a Bushnell tactical would be far more appropriate for that rifle and it's intended use and is in the same price range as the z5. (actuallty less depending on where you get the swaro)

Other than that, I'd also go with a heavier barrel profile, at a minimum I'd go Rem Varmint.

Last edited:
IF your thinking about custom action I would save the money and do it once. I will admit my tried remy holds its own with my defiance and surgeon

I also think a varmint profile is a good idea also.
For a 100 yrd zero you'll want 35+ MOA adjustment left with a flat mount for 1000yds.
A 20 MOA mount starts to make a lot of sense at 1000.

Why such a light barrel? For 1000 yds most would use a med-heavy palma or heavy varmint profile. I have a Brux barrel in 6mmBR that I am quite happy with. My favorite "economy" scope is the signtron 10-50x 60 with the LRMOA reticle allowing hold overs in winds rather than having to enter every adjustment which you have to do with FCH or else be a good guesser.

The custom action is great for competition shooting (fast, smooth repeats, feed from left if you want it, etc) but won't affect accuracy much so long as you are bedded well or your chassis is reliably stable and avoids bending/stresses on the receiver. The only thing I like to do to a stock remington action is to bush the firing pin down to .062 and possibly lap the lugs. I'm hearing good things about the newer series of remington actions with SNs starting with RR.

--Jerry

I would definitely consider different glass, as well as the action. If your going to spend the money why not get a custom action (not sure if your budget included glass or not). Heavier profile barrel does help but not really NEEDED per say.

I disagree that a Remington will ever shoot with a custom action. That is my opinion and there might be that rare Remington out there but vast majority will not...if you want to prove that theory go to a benchrest match where accuracy is the entire game. The biggest thing is by the time you time and true up a Remington you have real close to the money the custom action costs and when it all said and done you still have a Remington. Don't believe me go look in the classifieds and see what the trued up Remingtons bring vs a custom. Spend your money wisely and get a custom, especially if it is what you want...it will save you money in the long run. Know the saying cry once? ;)

Barrel diameter I would want at the bare minimum a Rem Varmint contour & the scope. Get a Vortex Razor, NightForce Beast, S&B, etc

DFW smith's...there are only two I could recommend with confidence...S&S Precision in Denton & Trammel's Gunshop in Breckenridge. Both guys shoot a lot of different stuff and know how to build a gun that will shoot.