• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on lightweight AR build.

jcfd2201

Playing with fire!
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
NE Arizona
I switched to using an AR for coyote hunting this year and love the results but hate the weight compared to my bolt gun. I am looking to build a lightweight AR strictly for predator/varmint hunting. My thoughts are as follows:
PlumCrazy polymer lower
18" Advanced Barrel Systems carbon barrel
Carbon foregrip
Upper to be determined yet.
Aluminum accessories where possible.
Skeletized A2 stock.

Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.

Re: Questions on lightweight AR build.

You can do a 16" build out of traditional materials for less than 5.5 lbs (before optics). Might look into that before you go too far with any $$$ carbon parts.

Thanks GT I want the 18" bull barrel and gas piston system on this build. I know the CF parts aren't cheap and may consider aluminum as a second option on the foregrip. I am hoping to be down around 8 pounds with optics.

Someone on the board posted some new carbon fore-ends that he is making. It was within the last week, search around and see if you can find it. They are super light, and sounds like exactly what you are after. There are others out there too, like PRI.

*EDIT* these are the ones I was talking about: http://www.carbonarms.us/Carbon-Feather-Handguards/

I would NOT do an aluminum forend with the skeletonized stock, I think it will be too front heavy. Might be OK with a regular a2 though.

If you want to shave some weight off the upper receiver, check out the VLTOR MUR-1S without the forward assist. I have the MUR-1A with assist, and it is very nicely made. Should be a couple ounces lighter without the assist.

Personally, I'd go with an ABS wrapped Rock Creek barrel, since I know their stuff is the highest quality from personal experience (regular bbl, but the liner on an ABS is just a turned down blank).

Thanks for the input and links BCW! The pic on CarbonArms site is basically what I was thinking about putting together. I looked at the Rock Creek barrels before and while I hadn't decided on a manufacturer I knew I wanted to go with the carbon wrapped barrel. I would love to have a slick side but I shoot lefty so at minimum I need the brass deflector.

The MUR-1s has the deflector, it just doesn't have the bolt assist.
mur6-Lg.jpg

Stag has lefty uppers if you want to go dedicated southpaw.