• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on new 308

andrjohn

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
Upper Peninsula Michigan
I've been building my 308 for quite some time mostly just waiting on parts to come in, started with a DPMS 308 lower with collapsible stock, switched to the magpul prs stock, put a stainless 24" bull barrel 1 in 10 twist with free floating hand guard on.. I'm very new to the long range side of ARs I'm just curious as to how far this gun can possibly shoot accurately and maybe a few suggestions as to what scope i would need. I was thinking of buying a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm mil-dot reticle, which may be a little bit of over kill but I would easily find use for it in the future. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

6eb142b6b2e5.jpg

Re: Questions on new 308

First off, welcome to the Hide.
As far as accuracy is concerned, the rifle should be very accurate, (meaning 1 moa, 1" inch at 100yds).
I know first hand because I have a similar rifle with a 20" barrel, and she will do 1" no problem. I also have a Rock River Arms two stage trigger in mine and a good trigger means every thing when trying to shoot accurate.
I don't think a 14 Power scope is overkill at all, I generally run 20-25 power, because I like to hunt varmints and paper.
Hang around here and learn all you can, there are alot of good people here.
SScott

Welcome and very nice looking rifle. I agree with Sunnyside Scott, to me, 10-14x range is about right for a .308.

I'm new to long(er) range shooting and only have shot out to 300 yards and have found my 10x sufficient. Maybe one day I'll venture past 500 yard shots and perhaps get a 20x+ scope.

That is an outstanding looking rifle! I just got one of the new Weaver tactical scopes,the 3-15x50 FFP Mildot for my LR-308 20" and am really impressed with the initial quality of it (just got it mounted and haven't had any range time yet). Made entirely in Japan by Light Optical,the techs at Weaver feel it's the finest scope that Weaver has ever offered.I got mine from SWFA, who has it for just a click over $600. Not taking anything away from the Leupold,of course cause I love their upper end scopes. Just another well made somewhat more affordable option to look at.

Have had mine for many years, and 260 upper. Love the rifle. I run a 4-14x50 IOR scope and wish it was 4-24.

Make sure you up-grade the trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have had mine for many years, and 260 upper. Love the rifle. </div></div>

Infact, I recall watching that very rifle shoot the best group of the day in a tactical match @ 300 yards, against a sea of custom bolt action rifles.....what was that group again Pat ?

Kirk R

I have a GAP SASS with a Leupold MKIV 4.5 x 14 on it and I find it to be just about right. It is a decent scope and since I don't have money for the next level of optics it works for me. One question for you; have you changed the trigger yet? The DPMS triggers are very heavy. If you have not then I see a Geissele DMR trigger in your future.

+1 for the Geissele, but I use the Match; it rocks. As far as the scope, there are a lot of great options. The Mark 4 would be a good match for the rifle, but so would a Nightforce or a Super Sniper. Just my $0.02.