• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on new build.

rifleman0321

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
midwest/USA
I just bought an FN SPR action with the intention of building a nice all-around rifle on it. Probably going to go with .308 for a caliber choice, since I am awash in ammo and components for that already. Since the gun will be used for hunting(up to black bear, down to coyotes) and target shooting out to 6-800m, I am thinking of a mid-weight barrel, with enough diameter for a shooting multiple groups, enough length for proper velocity, and sufficient rigidity for long range accuracy. Not sure what contour to use, but looking at maybe a Rock 5R, 24 inch or so?

For the stock, looking at a stock that will work for both target and hunting situations, maybe something like a McMillan HTG? Any ideas would be helpful

Looking to keep the weight below ten pounds all up with a NF Compact 2.5-10x32 or similar optic, Badger rings(already have a spare set), and the standard NEAR base and williams bottom metal.

I would love to hear everyone's preferences for such a project, and why.

Re: Questions on new build.

For the stock I would look heavily at a Manner's T2 or T3 with the carbon shell. Two different grip styles, but both great all around choices, very light, and very durable.

Out of curiosity, if you were to put percentages on it, how much time would this rifle spend shooting bench/paper, how much coyote, how much bear, etc?

When you go after coyote, etc, how do you get around?

This matters for contour selection and so forth
smile.gif

A 24" M24 barrel is going to be around 6 pounds. You will likely be struggling to hit that 10lb goal. A Remington varmint contour or light/medium palma contour will likely suit you better. You can look up the weights of all your components online. I don't think rock barrels lists weighs but a few companies do, just find a similar contour from a company lists the weights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity, if you were to put percentages on it, how much time would this rifle spend shooting bench/paper, how much coyote, how much bear, etc?

When you go after coyote, etc, how do you get around?

This matters for contour selection and so forth
smile.gif
</div></div>

50% Target/ 40% coyote/deer/chucks/hogs,etc./10%/low probability on bear, until I move to a region that has a season. I walk for all hunting, and will often walk for target shooting as well. Walking is done in the Ozarks, meaning mostly up and down, not much straight across. Which is why I want to keep weight down to a manageable level while still maintaining the ability to handle long range shooting chores. I want a very stable, yet somewhat handy rifle. 6-800m will be at the top end of my available shooting locations, so the rifle should be spec'd with that in mind, I think.

I was on Rock Creek's site earlier, looking around, and thought maybe a med. Palma contour. To flute or not? Probably, both for weight reduction and increased surface area for cooling. Added rigidity as well? Thoughts, anyone?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zeroed1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the stock I would look heavily at a Manner's T2 or T3 with the carbon shell. Two different grip styles, but both great all around choices, very light, and very durable. </div></div>

Both nice stocks and worth a look. Also like the MCS-T.