• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on Reloading for an MWS, Using RE17 in a .308 Gas Gun

Mumbles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Pittsburgh Area
I've been researching this as best I can on here, but there is so much conflicting information.

My situation is that I'd like to reload for my MWS for financial and consistency reasons. I can't always afford a sufficient quantity of factory match, and when I can, it's not always possible to get the same brand or configuration. I've been keeping my bolt gun running pretty much constantly through this ammo draught though, because I had enough components saved up to just keep making ammo (I'm out of IMR 4895 and 175 SMKs now, but that's a different story).

I've got on hand, that I've been able to find locally, some H414, some RE17, some 155 SMKs, and some 178 Hornady BTHP. Neither powder is ideal for .308, I know. I've been using the H414 with 155 SMKs in the bolt gun, and honestly, it's a terrible solution, but it is at least allowing me to continue shooting. I'd like to come up with something using the RE17 and Hornady 178s for the MWS, if that's a reasonable expectation. Brass will be Winchester, because it's the only type I have in quantity. Primers are going to have to be Federal LR, again, because it's the only kind I have in quantity.

TL;DR version:
1) Is it reasonable to expect to be able to come up with a serviceable recipe for an LMT MWS 16" CL using only RE17/178 BTHP/Federal Primer/Winchester Brass?
2) What considerations do I need to be aware of when loading for a gas gun? I've seen a lot of talk about port pressures, excessive mechanical wear, etc. What should I be on the lookout for, and what should I flat out avoid doing?