• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

PRS Talk Questions on scope and magazine requirements for getting into PRS

censored

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2017
AZ
Hey guys. I am looking at getting into PRS production and I am wondering about some of the recommended gear. Mostly, what is the recommended scope range for PRS? I am looking at either the Gen II Viper PST, Nightforce SHV, or Sig Tango 4. The NF lacks some top end, but I am not sure if 14X is all you need anyways. Also is FFP a must? The NF is a lot more affordable in SFP, and I am thinking for anything beyond my zero I would just run full power anyways, unless you guys think 14X is too much mag when scanning for targets in a fast paced setting.

As for mags, how many are required, how many are recommended, and how many rounds each? I am looking at a Tikka and their mags are $150 for a 10 rounder.

Thanks!

FFP is a must IMHO. Low power isn't really needed so a scope with a 5x or 6x bottom is fine but top end of 20-25x is nice. Most shooting is done in the 12-16x range but good to be able to dial up if needed.

I carry 3 10 round mags and 2 5 round mags on my belt at matches. I have a couple extra in my pack. I would recommend at least 2 10 round mags and a 5 round as the minimum.

Thanks for the reply Rob. So looks like PST Gen II 5-25 FFP would be the best bet. Now for the rifle, I was really looking at the Tikka TSR-1 (CTR in a McRees chassis) but the TAC A1 will come with 3 mags. I feel like I like the lighter weight and shorter profile of the TSR (20" barrel vs 24") but the mag cost is really going to drive up the price. Do you think the trade off in mobility will be worth it for a 24" barrel? Semper Fi.

24" is a shorter barrel. LOL I run a 27" and 28" both with brakes on top opf that length. 24" would be my recommendation so you can get some extra velocity. A rifle with a DBM or chassis that accepts AICS style mags would be preferable over a proprietary mag in case you forgot yours or lose them or just for more options. What caliber are you looking at?

Yes that scope would be a very good choice. Good power range, price and reticle.

Definitely go 24". Have you looked at the Howa HCR or Savage Stealth rifles as well?