• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on the hide search engine

FF_T_Warren

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
Louisiana, United States
Ok, Im not trying to stir up any stink here or nothing, but why do people insist on responding to every question with "use the hide search". I understand the concept of getting info from previous post, but I know every time I have a question and use the search I get pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of posts that are irrelevant to my search. I know how to use search engines but when I search I get a listing for every single response to a thread that has anything to do with what I'm searching. And from the responses on these boards, others seem to have the same issue.

I just did a little test before this post. I searched Remington 700P .308 trigger. Obviously with something like this I'm looking for trigger info. I got 8 pages of stuff ranging from remington sps out the box to .308vsElk. and the oldest part of the search on pg 8 was yesterday. so how are you suppose to search through gobs and gobs of post looking for the one lil sentence that may answer your question. It could take hours or even days to search through all this irrelevant info to find what your looking for when with a quick post you could have your answer in minutes or hours at the most.

Ive tried using the refining options and it still comes up with tons of junk.

Re: Questions on the hide search engine

Most people are referring to this search engine..

Snipers Hide Search Engine

which seems to work better than the drop down search engine....
usually the point is not to be rude,
but if there is already a post on the subject, it makes sense to keep it all in one post instead of several, and some questions are asked again and again....

Actually, <span style="font-style: italic">don't</span> use the 'Hide search. It's not very good.

Use Google advanced search, with the domain limited to snipershide.com in the example below.

The reason is that almost every question you can ask has been answered here already. Why should someone take the time and trouble to type the same information again?

I rarely do that, because I have an answer for many of those questions stored as files which I just cut-and-paste, or I do a Google search and then post the link.

But it's far more efficient if people just learn to use the Google search for themselves.

And, BTW, this question has been asked many times before, and this answer is, yes, from a file.

Example:

The Google advanced search, restricted to snipershide.com as shown in the input screen, is by far the best way to search this site. Feel free to click on "Date, Usage Rights,..." to further restrict the search.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

hidesearch.jpg

Oh ok well thats a little better there. totally agree on not asking the same questions over and over, just the drop down search is horrible as a search tool when looking for something specific. and usually when you want to search the site, thats the first thing you see to search with

Is the search system perfect? No, but 90% of the time it's laziness on the part of the researcher. You refine your search. "Search" also means open your eyes. Do you know how many times I've seen a question and you go to the forum and there are literally three other posts within 3-4 posts either way? A good example is when people are given links to those very subjects here on the Hide. When people are told to "search" it means more than use the search function; it means open your eyes and read.

But let's say you do use the search function and it comes back with 3 million hits. You can glance at the title and get some idea of what is contained in the post. If you're searching for a Rem 700P trigger and you do a search and the first title is "Savage 110", you know there may be a good chance your information isn't in there.

Much of is it common sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the search system perfect? No, but 90% of the time it's laziness on the part of the researcher. You refine your search. "Search" also means open your eyes. Do you know how many times I've seen a question and you go to the forum and there are literally three other posts within 3-4 posts either way? A good example is when people are given links to those very subjects here on the Hide. When people are told to "search" it means more than use the search function; it means open your eyes and read.

<span style="font-weight: bold">But let's say you do use the search function and it comes back with 3 million hits. You can glance at the title and get some idea of what is contained in the post. If you're searching for a Rem 700P trigger and you do a search and the first title is "Savage 110", you know there may be a good chance your information isn't in there. </span>

Much of is it common sense. </div></div>

true but not only does the title come up, you get 2-3 pages on the same post because it has 150 comments on it and under the hide search tool, everyone of the responses come up as a different listing.

I appreciate the heads up on the google search option limitations, that is a great help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

true but not only does the title come up, you get 2-3 pages on the same post because it has 150 comments on it and under the hide search tool, everyone of the responses come up as a different listing.
</div></div>

Right so again if the initial return shows a title that may not be relevant, skip over all the "Re:" with the exact same title.

The Google search is the much better way however. Personally though I don't like using Google for a number of reasons.

I've been burning up the Hide's search engine the past month as I spin up on precision shooting. "Tips" for using it include:

- Use the advanced search to specify individual forums, posters and date ranges. If you're researching scopes there's no reason to be searching the Bear Pit.

- Use +/- to include/exclude a keyword. The reason the search you cited in the original post seemed goofy was the search engine brought up posts that included *any* of the keywords you supplied. If you're looking into, say, Vortex rifle scopes but not their spotting scopes something like: +vortex +scope -spotting for keywords is a good way to start.

The only real complaint I have with the Hide's search is it only goes back 2 years. (At least the advanced one.) I use Google, as Lindy outlined, if I want further back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the search system perfect? No, but 90% of the time it's laziness on the part of the researcher. You refine your search. "Search" also means open your eyes. Do you know how many times I've seen a question and you go to the forum and there are literally three other posts within 3-4 posts either way? A good example is when people are given links to those very subjects here on the Hide. When people are told to "search" it means more than use the search function; it means open your eyes and read.

But let's say you do use the search function and it comes back with 3 million hits. You can glance at the title and get some idea of what is contained in the post. If you're searching for a Rem 700P trigger and you do a search and the first title is "Savage 110", you know there may be a good chance your information isn't in there.

Much of is it common sense. </div></div>

Mike hit the nail on the head with this one. 99% of the time if I tell someone to try using the google search engine it's because it's a question posted by someone that has 5 posts or just registered and has been beat to death i.e. how often to clean a barrel, barrel break-in procedure, Remington MSR, etc. The google engine is a great asset and is far underutilized.