• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on the lower end of the market

WhoAmI

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2014
Idaho
I want a cheap starter rifle to get into shooting long range something like a savage axis or a howa or Steven any one have thought on a beginner small baby step into long range iv seen people post the savage 10T for 599 or less but they are rare I hear

I'm no pro but for $600 range I would personally go with Remington 700. One of the straightest shooting guns out of the box and the mods and furniture are widely available. I picked up one at Cabelas in Lacey WA for $499 on sale.

In the interest of full disclosure I will say I dont like Savage one bit after an incident on JBLM a few years ago. Guy stove piped a round and I got fragged in the back with his rifle and scope. I know the rifle had nothing to do with it necessarily but I just cant bring myself to get one or recommend it.

Last edited:
Any of the ones you mentioned would be fine starter rifles. Just try and find the on that feels best for a good price. Would recommend 223 or 308 caliber (223 is cheaper to shoot,if you're on a tight budget! Also for a good starter scope you can't beat the SWFA fixed scopes with matching reticle and turrets for $399!

Remington 700. Cheap, accurate, and any smith would be more than happy to work on it later on should you choose to customize it.

Thanks all iv mostly been lookin online and most all guns are marked up on there I'd guess but I could find a 700 online for under 750 o0 I was thinking 260 but iv always wanted a 300wm bullets are kinda an issue but not a big one because I reload already but thanks again for all the useful information

IMO you would be best off to save a few hundred more and get a Tikka t3 varmint.

If don't ever intend to modify it and just want to shoot, I would go with Tikka. If you want to modify it yourself without a gunsmith, get a Savage or Stevens. If you want to pay a gunsmith to make it shoot, get a Remington.

If you go the Savage route stay away from the Axis line and just get a Stevens. The Stevens 200 is the same receiver as the Savage model 10 line and you can upgrade the barrel, trigger and stock as funds become available. There is almost no aftermarket support for the Axis. The Tikkas are great rifles and Remingtons are hit and miss (pun intended), if Remington quality control could ever get their shit together and produce a consistent product I would buy one.

Tikka. When you want a different stock later, look at the XLR, Manners, or KRG stocks/chassis for the T3. Shoot great out of the box, smooth action.

You can't buy a Tikka Varmint unless you want .223. Unless you don't plan on shooting past 600 yards I'd go .308, but that's just my opinion.

If you got a Stevens you could get any caliber you want later on for a few hundred more. I bought a 700 varmint for 550 mainly because I liked the the bolt felt better and for aesthetic reasons.

If you go the Savage route stay away from the Axis line and just get a Stevens. The Stevens 200 is the same receiver as the Savage model 10 line and you can upgrade the barrel, trigger and stock as funds become available. There is almost no aftermarket support for the Axis.

This helped a lot thank you. I always wondered about Stevens And almost no one seems to know much on other forums. So the dodge the question by bitching about grammar punctuation and move on glad y'all cans read without theses .,:; lol

Thanks all iv mostly been lookin online and most all guns are marked up on there I'd guess but I could find a 700 online for under 750 o0 I was thinking 260 but iv always wanted a 300wm bullets are kinda an issue but not a big one because I reload already but thanks again for all the useful information

Both are great calibers for long range but just know that if you decide to go with a .300 WM it's a thumper on a light rifle .
You won't be doing too many extended shooting sessions with a stock 700

My top pick for budget rifles would be a Tikka, hands down. But, that's mostly based on the fact that I have a Tikka, and have really been impressed with how well it shoots. It's one darn accurate little gun (bought for $820 new, with a heavy barrel, pic rail, and riser on the comb).

I also have friends who either started with or are still using Remington 700's and Savage rifles. Most have been reasonably happy with those choices. I've put a few rounds through my buddy's 700 SPS AAC (.308 Win), and it definitely shoots nicely for the price (and comes with a threaded barrel already installed).

Another vote for Howa.

Yes, aftermarket support is slimmer than Remsavage, but who cares. What little needs to be improved on the rifle (stock, bottom metal, and maybe trigger) are easily available from top quality sources (Timney, Rifle Basix, Manners, Roedale Precision, PTG, CDI).

Any gunsmith worth the name should be able to change gears on this lathe (or owns a CNC lathe) and cut metric threads for a new barrel if you so wish.

Also, there is a difference between inexpensive and cheap. Howas are inexpensive, Remingtons are cheap.

Last edited:
This helped a lot thank you. I always wondered about Stevens And almost no one seems to know much on other forums. So the dodge the question by bitching about grammar punctuation and move on glad y'all cans read without theses .,:; lol

I built a sub 1/2 MOA 308 off of a donor Stevens action, I bought the Stevens 200 on closeout at Academy and after I sold the barrel and stock I had $75 in the receiver. The Stevens 200 line is the same receiver as the Savage 10/110, they just use the cheapest possible barrel, stock and trigger.

+1 for the Howa. They aren't hard to work on at all, just frowned upon by mainstream haters, and stocks, dbm's and triggers are available (mcmillan, manners, xlr, cdi, timney ect.). Besides I love how the actions are set up (flat bottom, integral lug, trigger assembly that is removed with one screw, one piece bolts with M16 style extractors), hence why I'm on my second build and soon plan on starting a third. Not that I don't like Savage or Remington (I have both), but the Howa is one of the smoothest, accurate, consistent out of the box rifles I've owned.

Last edited:
now im hung up on howa or tikka, remington and savage seem to be more expensive then howas and less quality then tikka. i know howas are made by the same company that makes vanmarks for weatherby. hmmmm but i love thing made in america lol idk ima have to go to lgs who sells tikkas and have a look at some in stock and with howa i planned to trash the stock or sell it or make a dog toy lol

The only American-made off the shelf rifle that compares to Howa in quality is the new, FN-made Winchester Model 70. Unfortunately, Winchester does not have a heavy barrel offering at this time. Their old Model 70 Heavy Varmint/Stealth was a hammer.

Yeah the Winchester Mod 70's currently being put out by FN are reported to be the best (mod 70's) in history. I am looking to scoop one up next year or perhaps the year after as something I can hang onto for my son until he is of suitable age. He is 2 right now.

the real value is any of these that have been discussed, when they come scoped/ fully set up from a motivated seller at the right price - the for sales here and your local armslist listings are 2 good places, pawnshop may be another - the key is to have the funds ready, and know prices well enough so that you can jump on the right deal - on here the deals can go in minutes or seconds - him hawing or 20 questions will lose the deal to the prepared buyer

Yeah the Winchester Mod 70's currently being put out by FN are reported to be the best (mod 70's) in history. I am looking to scoop one up next year or perhaps the year after as something I can hang onto for my son until he is of suitable age. He is 2 right now.

The only American made rifle i'd own.

I know the metric system is a PITA to you guys over there, but if it came down to Tikka vs Howa, the Howa wins everytime for me. Forged receiver, integral recoil lug, one piece bolt.

The only American made rifle i'd own.

I know the metric system is a PITA to you guys over there, but if it came down to Tikka vs Howa, the Howa wins everytime for me. Forged receiver, integral recoil lug, one piece bolt.

I want a cheap starter rifle to get into shooting long range something like a savage axis or a howa or Steven any one have thought on a beginner small baby step into long range iv seen people post the savage 10T for 599 or less but they are rare I hear

A vote for Savage Axis here. $600 will get you a Rifle capable of 3/4 MOA at least, bipod, 20 MOA rail, scope, scope rings.. Everything you need.. Dont buy the Axis / scope combo.. Buy the unscoped Axis, because you can buy a better scope for the money difference than comes on the rifle.. Youre not going to have killer braggable equipment, but it works, and I shoot 500 meter steel targets all day long with it.

If you want to build a winning rifle on a budget - Savage (Stevens) is the answer (or copies such as Marlin XS7 and Remington 783).

If you just want just a "good shooting" rifle - well, it doesn't really matter ... 770 is a "good shooting" rifle.
With enough money you can build a custom out of ... block of steel if you really wanted to.

P.S. Tikkas are very nice rifles - I just haven't seen in the field what the hype is really driven by.

Two rifles to consider:

If you are shooting up to 450 yards and want an excellent "budget rifle" take a look at the Ruger American, excellent shooter for the money. My sons 243 shoots 3/4"-1"....I see these rifles new for $300-$350. We shoot his out to 465 yards with Nikon ProStaff 3x9....for the money, this is a good set up. This rifle has a heavy bolt and unique bedding system that results in its accuracy. A friend has one in 30-06 and his is a shooter too.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint. One can be had for $450-$550 new, has 26" bull barrel. Out of box in 22-250 it shot 3/4"' then put a Hogue overmolded pillar bedded stock (friend gave it to me) and it shot 1/2" and then lug bedded and bullets are touching. Nice thing about this rifle is you can use it for a base rifle to build up to larger caliber (unless you buy it in 223) and customize like one of the gentleman said above. This rifle also comes in 308 and 243 if you want a heavier caliber to start with. In the 22-250 we routinely zing steel at 465 with it easy.

Good luck on your purchase