• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Questions on Thread Pitch for my Rifle

hkownz

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2017
Plano, Texas
As my build is nearing completion, I am going to get my barrel threaded and was wondering if there are any thread pitches that i should choose over the other. My rifle is a Remington 700 long range in 300 Win Mag. Also the break i am going with is the Thunder Beast Arms 30CB Break, available in these thread pitches 5/8-24,9/16-24,3/4-24,3/4-28,M18X1.0,M18X1.5,M15X1.0(RH). just wanted to know if yall had any recommendations as i plan to purchase the break and take it to the gunsmith with the rifle to get it timed.

For a 30 cal 5/8x24 is the most popular. For thin/sporter barrels 9/16 (aks and stuff also) works but most everywhere you look 30 cal stuff will be 5/8 for a little more meat at the muzzle. 223 cal stuff will more often than not be 1/2x28.

Also, cutting it to be timed is fine but make sure he cuts the threads to spec and not exact to the brake. Im not sure how much wiggle room there actually is but I have heard of people getting them cut exactly to the particular brakes pitch and not to spec and have difficulties getting any other brake to fit on later on down the road.

TBAC_Centerfire_Rifle_Thread_Guide.jpg

Good to know i appreciate all the info, i will make sure i relay this to him when i take the rifle in.