• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Questions on using Tactical bipod off bench !

Savage Mark

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2018
So our club runs an informal F open match from wooden bench’s . Everyone but me uses a heavy front rest . I have one but I choose to use Sinclair’s tactical bipod . I’ve got half way decent with it (came in 1st place at one of our matches). But just wondering if anyone else is shooting this way so I can pick their brain. I use an extremely light hold so I don’t influence the rifle , and load the bipod to just take play out of it . Using 16lb Protektor DR rear bag . Here’s a pic of my set up .

Attachments

• 50E8B178-5243-42E0-ACF4-B7EA0CE8003F.jpeg
    50E8B178-5243-42E0-ACF4-B7EA0CE8003F.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 151
In the rare occasions I shoot from a bench (I'm almost always prone) I will clamp a piece of angle iron, or wood 2"x4" to the bench. That gives me something to load the bipod into. It will help steady you, and maybe allow you to witness impact or spot your miss, depending on how much your rifle recoils. Still use your rear bag, and seat height is very important. Many seats are too low, and you may be fighting to get comfortable on the rifle. If you're not comfortable, and without natural point of aim, you will not shoot well.

Reactions: Ravenworks
In the rare occasions I shoot from a bench (I'm almost always prone) I will clamp a piece of angle iron, or wood 2"x4" to the bench. That gives me something to load the bipod into. It will help steady you, and maybe allow you to witness impact or spot your miss, depending on how much your rifle recoils. Still use your rear bag, and seat height is very important. Many seats are too low, and you may be fighting to get comfortable on the rifle. If you're not comfortable, and without natural point of aim, you will not shoot well.
Thx for tips sir . Appreciate it .

Reactions: Garvey
I don't do any F type shooting, but if I were I think I'd be trying to get the gun to recoil straight back.
The angled stock allows you to get on target with the by-pod, but @ the expense of straight recoil.

Two things that may work together to help get it recoiling more in a straight line.

I shoot small bore f class l, it's all in prone from a shooting mat and out of about 18 shooters, there are 2 (me including) shooting from a bipod. Everyone else shoots using a sled or vice. I have no issues and come about 2nd or 3rd from the season.

Last edited:
I don't do any F type shooting, but if I were I think I'd be trying to get the gun to recoil straight back.
The angled stock allows you to get on target with the by-pod, but @ the expense of straight recoil.

Two things that may work together to help get it recoiling more in a straight line.

Thank you . I have 2 F class stocks that are flat bottom , but I guess I’m a little slow and like to be different . Lol

I shoot small bore f class l, it's all in prone from a shooting mat and put of about 18 shooters, there are 2 (me including) shooting from a bipod. Everyone else shoots using a sled or vice. I have no issues and come about 2nd or 3rd from the season.
Is small bore .22 LR ? What bipod are you using ?

Is small bore .22 LR ? What bipod are you using ?
Yup, 22LR - I'm using Atlas CAL bipod and game changer as a rear bag. Kind of primitive compared to other shooters but it works. I also don't have a dedicated benchrest rifle as i use my V22 for NRL22/PRS matches as well
20210627_085957.jpg

I shoot small bore f class l, it's all in prone from a shooting mat and put of about 18 shooters, there are 2 (me including) shooting from a bipod. Everyone else shoots using a sled or vice. I have no issues and come about 2nd or 3rd from
Yup, 22LR - I'm using Atlas CAL bipod and game changer as a rear bag. Kind of primitive compared to other shooters but it works. I also don't have a dedicated benchrest rifle as i use my V22 for NRL22/PRS matches as wellView attachment 7666377
How far are u guys shooting ?

Reactions: Badjujuu
How far are u guys shooting ?
From match description:

Smallbore F-Class - Double Dewar Match

Prone rifle match fired from 50 and 100 yards. NRA rules apply.

20 rounds in 20 minutes fired from 50 yards on NRA A-51 target, done twice.
20 rounds in 20 minutes fired from 100 yards on NRA A-33 target, done twice.

All rifles must be 22LR. No limitations on scopes, except that rifle plus scope and bipod must weigh under 18.18 lbs.

Rifles may be fired from sandbag/bipod or pedestal rest.