• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on Value

Icallem

Football Ref
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
I got a call yesterday from a lady that her husband had just recently passed. They had several firearms which she has decided to sell as she does not think she can take care of them. She has a dealer coming over Sunday evening and she didn't want to be there alone with him. She called the Sheriff and when he could not come over he told her to call me. I went over yesterday and we made a list to try to do some research.

Questions.

30 cal carbine, how do I find out who made it. Seems to make lots of difference.

She has 2 Night Force BR 8-32x56 (reticle unknown) that I can't get a handle on value.

She also has 2 Kreighoff K-80 combos. I could not find a K-80 for sale on Gunbroker. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Questions on Value

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30 cal carbine, how do I find out who made it. Seems to make lots of difference. </div></div>

the maker is stamped under the rear sight, also look on the barrel just behind the front sight, most makers stamped their name and a year here, just an idea cause not necessarily will the maker of the barrel be who made the receiver

once you know the maker the price varies drmatically depending on which maker it is

The dealer's job is to make money, he'll offer about 50% of what they are worth I'm guessing, maybe less.

30 carbine as mentioned is likely $300-$1300 in value, lots of variables here.

NF BR scopes, $1000-$1200 I believe.

The shotguns are tough without more details, they too vary a lot on options. Case, barrels, engraving, etc. Could be $8k each, could be $18k.

Try to avoid selling them to the dealer unless she needs money quick. Get more info and post some pictures here, we'll help where we can.

Thanks for the help. Money is not the issue. She is concerned that she can't take care of them as needed, also that word will get out and there she is alone out in the country. However she is retired police and it was funny when I ask her how a rifle shot, she said "it is a tack driver".

Anybody know what the rules are for selling reloaded shells?

The local auction has a big gun sale in Oct., and I'm really pushing her towards that. Several deer rifles, so that would be a good time.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">once you know the maker the price varies drmatically depending on which maker it is </div></div>

Also, look for import marks stamped on the barrel. It greatly reduces the value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icallem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She is concerned...word will get out and there she is alone out in the country. However she is retired police and it was funny when I ask her how a rifle shot, she said "it is a tack driver".</div></div>

That's pretty funny. Have you considered contacting Nightforce with the SN to see if they have any info on the scopes?

I had not thought of getting with NF, but that sounds like a good idea. She thought they were older, but I don't know how old NF is. Also one rifle has a IOR scope on it, might have to do the same with it.

The NF and IOR are on Weatherby Mark V's so if it goes to auction do you split or sell together?

I'm out of the office the rest of the day, but will get more info and maybe be of more help to you that are helping and then for her as well.

Thanks again for the help and ideas.