• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on VLD seating stem for Redding die

SDGator

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
I normally run Hornady ELDM's in 6.5 Creedmoor, but I was able to find some Berger VLD bullets at the local gun store recently, so I went ahead and picked up a few hundred.

I seat with a Redding Type S Match die. There seems to be some info floating around online about needing to use a VLD variant seating die, but the one I found for Redding are for their competition die. Its Redding part number 55746.

Questions:
1. Will that part fit in the Match die?
2. Do I really need it? What is the downside of not using it?

That's the one you want (I think) ... the VLD Long Stem that goes into the Redding Competition Seating Die. The "Type S" is the full body die, not the Seating Die ... unless I'm mistaken (which is possible). Talked to Redding about issues I was having with seating on my dies, and they sent me to get the VLD stem. Haven't had a problem since.

Reactions: SDGator
No, you're right. The Type S refers to the full body die. That was my mistake...it was a two-die set.

If you don't mind my asking, what issues were you having with seating before you got the VLD stem?

Check what you have now, if it makes contact all the way around you are good. If the nose bottoms out and ou can teeter it left and right on the nose instead of touching the whole way around then the vld stem is what you need so that it doesnt bottom out.
1611263355124.png

1611263369698.png

I normally run Hornady ELDM's in 6.5 Creedmoor, but I was able to find some Berger VLD bullets at the local gun store recently, so I went ahead and picked up a few hundred.

I seat with a Redding Type S Match die. There seems to be some info floating around online about needing to use a VLD variant seating die, but the one I found for Redding are for their competition die. Its Redding part number 55746.

Questions:
1. Will that part fit in the Match die?
2. Do I really need it? What is the downside of not using it?
Here is the application guide table

You want the long one (in VLD stems, the make long and short), part # 55746

From Berger
1611267106160.png

Good luck finding one.

I ended up ordering from Reloading UK because....well, I couldn't find one anywhere in the USA.

They ship to USA and with currency exchange and shipping I believe it will come in right at $28/$30

They have two left in stock after I bought one from them earlier today.

Hope this is somewhat helpful and not too redundant (my middle name! haha)

Cheers

Reactions: db2000
No, you're right. The Type S refers to the full body die. That was my mistake...it was a two-die set.

If you don't mind my asking, what issues were you having with seating before you got the VLD stem?
I was struggling with "wandering" seating depth. I'd get one that measured spot-on (case-to-ogive with a compilator) ... and think I was good. Then the next one would be a few thousands high or low. I'd adjust to it, and the next measure may or may not work. I just couldn't get the depth to stabilize. Then I got the VLD stem, and all that went away. Now depth is consistent, and die-based micrometer adjustments work the way they should. Now I can adjust to spot-on my target, and seat 50 bullets that are all to identical depths.

Reactions: Baron23