• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions re: AR-10’s, LR.308’s, Bolts

Ntxglock

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2023
Sherman, Tx
I’m all-in with AR’s. Have a bunch of 5.56’s. I’ve moved on to AR-10’s. I already have two .308’s I’ve done and currently building a 6.5cm. Bolts. What is the opening size for firing pins re: ..308’s vs 6.5cm….Noveske sent me a headspaced hp bolt but no firing pin. Also, can I use dual ejector bolts in .308’s?? The pin size is obviously different in my visualization. I know firing pin size is different between the two. TIA
add:
8l8tkB4.jpg

Last edited:
There isn't really a spec for AR-10/308 firing pins, other than a particular manufacturer's own spec.
The original DPMS LR-308 bolts were a 0.080" bolt face firing pin orifice with a 0.076" firing pin tip diameter. Those were not suitable for anything other than a .308 or similar pressure cartridge. Not very common these days in anything other than bottom budget brands or surplus.
The 0.070" bolt face firing pin orifice is probably the most common today. Those typically use 0.067"-0.068" firing pin tips for the better examples, but can vary with budget bolt/FP makers. These can be marketed as "HP" by some, and you can even find some using 0.062" firing pins in 0.070" bolts, which is really bad. The higher quality ones will work with 6.5CM pressures if the barrel has a proper gas system design. I would consider the KAK LR-308 firing pin as being the most common design example.
Actual high quality "HP" bolts and firing pins should be considered proprietary and not interchangeable. Those orifice/tip diameters can vary, depending on the manufacturer.

The bolt is probably a toolcraft bolt and they take the reduced diameter .065” firing pin. And yes you can use the bolt for .308.
There are 2 with reduced diameter pins that use different bolts. JP has their design and others with hp bolts/pins include aero precision, KAK and a few more that escapes me right now. Different hp pins in pics. Only 1 is non.

Attachments

• 20231203_131240.jpg
    20231203_131240.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20231203_130006.jpg
    20231203_130006.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 53
Seeing so many variants, I think the best thing for OP is to contact Noveseke and have them send one out.

Reactions: Top O' Texas
Seeing so many variants, I think the best thing for OP is to contact Noveseke and have them send one out.
Noveske told me they do not sell individual pins and they sourced that bolt from Rubber City Armory.. I have sent Rubber City Armory a email. No reply yet. I did get another dual ejector bolt today w/pin from them (RCA).

Update: Rubber City Armory called me this afternoon. The tech told me that they do NOT sell AR10 bolts to Noveske, only 5.56 bolts. So, I will get back with Noveske. Jeez.

Last edited:
Reactions: bfoosh006
I also got the dual ejector firing pins from KAK today. They said they fit dual ejector bolts. I also got another bolt w/pin today from Rubber City Armory. I'm gonna get a JP bolt too, to compare the three. Toolcraft does not make bolts, only carriers.

I also got the dual ejector firing pins from KAK today. They said they fit dual ejector bolts. I also got another bolt w/pin today from Rubber City Armory. I'm gonna get a JP bolt too, to compare the three. Toolcraft does not make bolts, only carriers.
Where are you sourcing your info from? This is their add at arm or ally. https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolcraft-ar15-bolt-kit/ it clearly says “manufactured and warrantied by toolcraft. Then scroll on down and it clearly says,
Manufacturer: Toolcraft.
Here’s the double ejector 308/6.5 version.
Again stating they are the manufacturer

Last edited:
Reactions: Redlion
Gotta love having to search out the right FP for a bolt.... Lol

Thanks for posting all your findings !

Where are you sourcing your info from? This is their add at arm or ally. https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolcraft-ar15-bolt-kit/ it clearly says “manufactured and warrantied by toolcraft. Then scroll on down and it clearly says,
On another forum, but, that’s 5.56. AR10’s are a different animal. Sorry. I’m learning. These AR10 bolts/pins are a puzzle for sure.

Noveske told me they do not sell individual pins and they sourced that bolt from Rubber City Armory.. I have sent Rubber City Armory a email. No reply yet. I did get another dual ejector bolt today w/pin from them (RCA).

Update: Rubber City Armory called me this afternoon. The tech told me that they do NOT sell AR10 bolts to Noveske, only 5.56 bolts. So, I will get back with Noveske. Jeez.

On another forum, but, that’s 5.56. AR10’s are a different animal. Sorry. I’m learning. These AR10 bolts/pins are a puzzle for sure.
No worries brother.
Large frame ARs definitely need some standardization. I wonder if they really use toolcraft and someone got confused. Toolcraft is used by several manufacturers.

Reactions: Ntxglock
Pin diameter and shape are 2 that can make 1 work and 1 not with the bolt. BCG's don't matter only it they are the same style or gen (armalite, dpms gen1, dpms gen 2 and sfar with not counting others that are fal and other off breads. m110, sr25 and ar10 witch may use the same mag, but the ar10 might not use the same firing pin (don't have enough info about the differences).

Reactions: Ntxglock
Thanks. I got one. I also recd the pins (I got from KAK) and the first bolt w/pin I got from RCA yesterday
(after talking with their tech I ordered a second one too).

They look to be identical except the color. RCA’s is dark while the others are silver,
same color as what you see w/5.56 and Aero’s .308 BCG’s.

I spoke with the tech and traded emails at Rubber City Armory. He told me it’s not mandatory to utilize a
dual ejector bolt for 6.5cm. It’s the pin size as I understand it.

Anyone care to share insight to this?

Add: but it looks to me that it’s the dual ejector that requires the 0.065 pin.
I’m gonna post some picks after I get some chores done.

I called and spoke to a person at Toolcraft a couple years ago. I was told at that time that they did not make any bolts, just carriers.

Reactions: msgriff
I called and spoke to a person at Toolcraft a couple years ago. I was told at that time that they did not make any bolts, just carriers.
Yep. But, from what I can reference from Arfcom, that’s 5.56.
Rubber City makes their own 5.56 and some .308, but not
all inclusive. There’s a lot of variables to large frames.
Add: not to say Toolcraft does not produce bolts. I firmly believe that they do NOT.
I just cannot reference large frame bolts inclusively

I’ve found I trust RCA. From the looks of and for what I seek they’ve been right on target, lots of laughs

Last edited:
I emailed Toolcraft, I’m intrigued now. I’ll post the response when I get it.

I use the Toolcraft high pressure dual ejector bolt in both 6.5 CM and 308 it has an .062" firing pin, vs the .075," they work great. I like the small firing pin dia. as the preferred option, the dual ejectors come with it. They are not designed to push the limits...but I do anyway, so if they offer any extra assurance that's fine.
Do not do what I do...most of my loads are in the +p category, but they work in my rifles...not necessarily yours, and you mudt be an experienced handloader.
I Run these as at 68,000 psi according to QL in AR 10 ...16" 308...shooting 208 eldm at 2442 fps Ave. 155 gr 2850 fps, 168 eldm 2755 fps. from the 6 lb 3 oz AR 10 with some .5" and less 5 shot groups...the AR 10 is 7 lbs 12 oz complete with a Leupold Mark 4 3-10X. 1200 yd capable with a light AR 10. And you can use cheap LC brass to achieve this. It has a magnesium upper, titanium bolt carrier, ti muzzle brake, 15.5" carbon fiber hand guard, and No it's not inaccurate pencil barrel, but a fluted SS WC barrel 11.25 twist.
A delight to carry and handle lighter than most of my AR 15s...and accurate, just dial & smile set up.

Attachments

• 20230913_143419.jpg
    20230913_143419.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230910_155521.jpg
    20230910_155521.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 14
I use the Toolcraft high pressure dual ejector bolt in both 6.5 CM and 308 it has an .062" firing pin, vs the .075," they work great. I like the small firing pin dia. as the preferred option, the dual ejectors come with it. They are not designed to push the limits...but I do anyway, so if they offer any extra assurance that's fine.
Do not do what I do...most of my loads are in the +p category, but they work in my rifles...not necessarily yours, and you mudt be an experienced handloader.
I Run these as at 68,000 psi according to QL in AR 10 ...16" 308...shooting 208 eldm at 2442 fps Ave. 155 gr 2850 fps, 168 eldm 2755 fps. from the 6 lb 3 oz AR 10 with some .5" and less 5 shot groups...the AR 10 is 7 lbs 12 oz complete with a Leupold Mark 4 3-10X. 1200 yd capable with a light AR 10. And you can use cheap LC brass to achieve this. It has a magnesium upper, titanium bolt carrier, ti muzzle brake, 15.5" carbon fiber hand guard, and No it's not inaccurate pencil barrel, but a fluted SS WC barrel 11.25 twist.
A delight to carry and handle lighter than most of my AR 15s...and accurate, just dial & smile set up.
QL doesn't account for freebore/lead. GTR might be able to run that way, but I don't use it.

I emailed Toolcraft, I’m intrigued now. I’ll post the response when I get it.
I thought that it was generally accepted that Toolcraft only makes carriers. Form their website: "Toolcraft manufactures the finest quality AR10, AR15 & M16 bolt carriers at the most competitive price.", nowhere do they state that they make bolts. I don't see a problem with that, it's not like they're going around buying bargain bin bolts wherever they can find them at the lowest price. I would imagine that the bolts are made by a reputable sub-contractor specifically for and to Toolcraft's specs and QC, and warrantied the same as if they were made in-house.

QL doesn't account for freebore/lead. GTR might be able to run that way, but I don't use it.
Yep, QL is only a gustimate...it say so right on the computer screen...and I alter most guns chambers, dies, recievers, muzzle brakes, magazines, etc...so there's not much standard...so don't do what I do.

I thought that it was generally accepted that Toolcraft only makes carriers. Form their website: "Toolcraft manufactures the finest quality AR10, AR15 & M16 bolt carriers at the most competitive price.", nowhere do they state that they make bolts. I don't see a problem with that, it's not like they're going around buying bargain bin bolts wherever they can find them at the lowest price. I would imagine that the bolts are made by a reputable sub-contractor specifically for and to Toolcraft's specs and QC, and warrantied the same as if they were made in-house.
Toolcraft...Go to Arm or Ally for the complete bolt carrier group OR JUST THE BOLT KIT with the bolt, the firing pin, etc and order your Toolcraft bolt with dual or single ejectors by itself or the complete bolt carrier group.Your choice.

Toolcraft...Go to Arm or Ally for the complete bolt carrier group OR JUST THE BOLT KIT with the bolt, the firing pin, etc and order your Toolcraft bolt with dual or single ejectors by itself or the complete bolt carrier group.Your choice.
I don't use Toolcraft LFAR BCGs. Not dissing their products, I just prefer other designs/specs/brands.

IMG_1622.png

This their response. Apparently they have a sister company. I assumed they did manufacture them because of how they word their bolt kit add on arm or ally. Definitely misleading a little bit, but it won’t stop me from using them.

I think PSA acquired Toolcraft as I understand it. Forgotbtheir holding company name though

Add: Rubber City Armory makes OEM for some companies. Noveske is one in 5.56.