• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions regarding building a custom .308

Richardd

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
Hey everyone, I am quite new here to the hide and wanted to first say thanks in advance. I am new to the LR shooting and wanted to build an .308 AICS custom. I understand that I can use a R700 and go from there but I dont mind paying extra for a custom rig. I just wanted to ask before I started to see what I am getting myself into. The things I were looking at getting were the:

Stiller Tac30 AW (Group Buy)
Rock Creek Barrel .308 20 inch 11 twist (Group Buy)
AICS 1.5 Chassis
Jewell Trigger
Badger 20 MOA Rail and 30mm Rings
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x-50 FFP

My question, is that would I need to buy anything else to complete the rig? Besides getting the barrel fitted to the action, is there any other gunsmithing work required? I understand it will take time and dont mind waiting. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and really appreciate it.

Re: Questions regarding building a custom .308

Seems like you can afford a nice setup- what are your goals?

Sounds like a sweet rig. As far as bases go, I am pretty sure you can't use the badger base on a Stiller Action. Stiller is offering his 20 MOA base for $50 in the group buy.

No other gunsmithing should be required.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahowitzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like you can afford a nice setup- what are your goals? </div></div>

Well its kind of a "budget balling" kind of set up. Trying to save some money for ammo but its hard with all the group buys and deals going on. My goals is just to learn and it will just be used for the range. Ranges around here dont go past 100 though. Going to have to take some time to go to my friends farm and shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge Hammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a sweet rig. As far as bases go, I am pretty sure you can't use the badger base on a Stiller Action. Stiller is offering his 20 MOA base for $50 in the group buy.

No other gunsmithing should be required.

</div></div>

Thanks for the tip before I bought the badger rail. I was looking at the integrated rail that they are offering. Quiet tempting. Whats the benefit of that? I was also reading that someone posted that I could get the barrel shipped from Rock Creek and get it done at Stiller? Will I need the Stiller short detachable bottom metal as well if running in the AICS? Thanks. Not too sure what to check off in the group buy from Stiller haha.

The DBM is integrated in the AICS so no you will not need to buy DBM in the group buy.

Also, I just noticed you are going with a Jewell trigger. You will have to mill on the trigger area of the AICS to fit the Jewell tigger.

Im actually buying the AICS and the Jewell trigger used and the guy I'm buying it from had it milled already. Basically everything except for scope, action, and barrel will be bought from this guy whos selling all of that. Which barrel length and twist would you recommend? Probably will mostly shoot the 168 and 175 grain.

You can't go wrong with the barrel length and twist you were planning.

Also, yes you can ship the barrel to them and they will barrel it for you at some cost. My 308 was barreled by them and its a hammer:
308-1.jpg

Thanks for all the info! Still debating on if I should stick with the AICS or go with a manners. If I did, I'd have to get that DBM since it doesn't have one? Decisions decisions...