• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions regarding overpressure on savage 10 BA Stealth .308

HillbillyHD1967

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2023
Mississippi, USA
I started reloading for my Savage Stealth a few weeks ago and I wanted to find something that was 3/4 MOA or better and produce 2600 fps if possible.
Using Federal once fired cases trimmed to 1.010", CCI #200 primers, IMR 4895 powder and SMK 175 HPBT. With a COAL of 2.777" which is 0.020 off the lands (thought that seemed kind of short). I loaded 3 rounds per powder charge (to save some components) from 41.0 grn to 44.9 grn per hodgdon's website.
At the range my chronograph decided not to work so I have no data on velocity.
From 41 grn to roughly 42.8 grn each 3 round group had 1 round that produced a heavy bolt lift with difficult initial extraction.
After 42.8 grn the rate of heavy bolt lift increased. Inspecting each case after firing showed every powder charge had a flattened primer with slightly rounded edges at the primer pocket. After 42.8 grn I started to notice a slight protrusion of the primer around the firing pin.
After firing the rounds at the range I wanted to re-use the fire formed brass but after cleaning none of the fired brass would re-chamber in the rifle.
With my limited knowledge of pressure my questions are as follows:

Why would I get flattened primers and inconsistent heavy bolt lift on the lower side of the powder charge?
How much pressure is too much pressure. At what point does it become dangerous?

41.6 grn produced a 0.58 inch group but I would think the velocity would be undesirable.
42.8 grn produced a 0.52 inch group but the velocity would also be lacking. Thinking this may be my best option to not be too far over pressure.
44.9 grn produced a 0.42 inch group but I fear the pressure would be dangerous.

In FC brass max is 42 grains. Hodgdon data is for Win commercial brass which is thinner and has more internal volume. The heavy bolt lift means you are waaaaaay over pressure.

Reactions: Lange Carabine
In FC brass max is 42 grains. Hodgdon data is for Win commercial brass which is thinner and has more internal volume. The heavy bolt lift means you are waaaaaay over pressure.
Well that is some good information to know. I guess 41.6 grains is my stopping point. Thank you.

I started reloading for my Savage Stealth a few weeks ago and I wanted to find something that was 3/4 MOA or better and produce 2600 fps if possible.
Using Federal once fired cases trimmed to 1.010", CCI #200 primers, IMR 4895 powder and SMK 175 HPBT. With a COAL of 2.777" which is 0.020 off the lands (thought that seemed kind of short). I loaded 3 rounds per powder charge (to save some components) from 41.0 grn to 44.9 grn per hodgdon's website.
At the range my chronograph decided not to work so I have no data on velocity.
From 41 grn to roughly 42.8 grn each 3 round group had 1 round that produced a heavy bolt lift with difficult initial extraction.
After 42.8 grn the rate of heavy bolt lift increased. Inspecting each case after firing showed every powder charge had a flattened primer with slightly rounded edges at the primer pocket. After 42.8 grn I started to notice a slight protrusion of the primer around the firing pin.
After firing the rounds at the range I wanted to re-use the fire formed brass but after cleaning none of the fired brass would re-chamber in the rifle.
With my limited knowledge of pressure my questions are as follows:

Why would I get flattened primers and inconsistent heavy bolt lift on the lower side of the powder charge?
How much pressure is too much pressure. At what point does it become dangerous?

41.6 grn produced a 0.58 inch group but I would think the velocity would be undesirable.
42.8 grn produced a 0.52 inch group but the velocity would also be lacking. Thinking this may be my best option to not be too far over pressure.
44.9 grn produced a 0.42 inch group but I fear the pressure would be dangerous.
I concur that the heavy bolt lift is a sure sign of being over pressure. Why that is can be a couple of things, like . . . carbon ring build up, high temperatures, a powder lot that with higher burn rate, any combination of these.

Without known velocities, it's really very difficult to judge where you actually might be on the pressure curve. Below is a QuickLoad chart that might give you some idea, BUT. . . without actual velocity data, I can only use the default number for burn rate which is surely well below what your powder is doing.

175 SMK - IMR-4895.jpg