• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick 3-gun AR mag ???

springerjb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Ephraim, UT
Are mag couplers legal in 3-gun matches? I'm assuming not. Can't find any info on it...maybe the weight of another loaded 30 round mag is the isssue if it is legal?

Looking to shoot my first match soon and trying to figure out cheap gear...

Thanks in advance for any input.

Re: Quick 3-gun AR mag ???

depends on what type of 3-gun match, meaning IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, TPC.........Honestly if your kit setup and drills are good the coupler wouldnt be that beneficial. Also I believe if you have rounds left in the second mag its considered in the gun and can hurt you via time penalties. I might be talkin out my ass here so someone else please help out

Re: Quick 3-gun AR mag ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are mag couplers legal in 3-gun matches? I'm assuming not. Can't find any info on it...maybe the weight of another loaded 30 round mag is the isssue if it is legal?

Looking to shoot my first match soon and trying to figure out cheap gear...

Thanks in advance for any input. </div></div>

3Gun unfortunately does not have a ruling body like USPSA or IDPA (although both organizations run "multi-gun" matches). All of the national level 3gun matches have their own rule sets. Most local level matches also have their own rules, often based on their closest national level match and with whatever quirks the range facility requires. Mag couplers are legal at most any 3gun match. If the rule set for the match doesn not specifically prohibit it, they are legal. Some matches do forbid you to monopod off of coupled mags (larger footprint) though. RM3G in Raton NM is one that comes to mind. Magazine capacity often is not an issue either. Most 3gunners us 30 round mags. Some folks run coupled mags if the CoF has more than 25 rifle rounds. Or they will run an extended mag with an extension. Nordic Components and Aerendo(sp?) are the most common extensions. Also, many folks are looking at the new Surfire 60 & 100 round mags. There are several options for couplers from the traditional cinch type, duct tape and a wood spacer, to the Springer Precision PMag coupler (machined aluminum base plate).

Good luck with your first 3gun match, and I hope you enjoy it!